Please help ASAP

tbaxter08700

TDI
Vw MK5 GT TDI 140 (Remapped 180)
Hope someone can help and/or give me some advice. My car is a 05 gt tdi 140 that is remapped to about 180ish.

Anyway I bought this car a few months back and it always had a slight boost leak but never got around to looking at it until the other day. It was the elbow that comes off the turbo outlet, it had a massive slice in it. So I got the part and replaced it. Them damb clips are a right pain to get on. Anyhow I got them on and took the car down the road. Never felt it pull so well. Actually took me back. But within a minute I heard a pop and had no power. Knew exactly what had happened. The pipe had popped off.

So today I have been back under the car and fixed it with the old tie wraps and jubilee clips. Pretty sure that will never come off now!

So took the car down the road again. Moved like a train until maybe half a mile when I heard a similar pop again. But this time time it is different. It's down on power again but the engine is really loud like there is no air filter or the exhaust as come off. I've had a look and can't see anything. The elbow definitely hasn't come off tho.

I'm worried because the car hasn't seen this much boost in a while that now something else has popped. But why the loud noise?

If anyone has any ideas it would be really helpful. I would love to get the car working to full power. At the minute it's like a straight diesel bit you can hear the turbo, just over the loud engine.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
If it's been a while since its seen a lot of boost, I would make sure to drain your intercooler of any excess oil. Next would be to pressure test your intake system and search for leaks...

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
Over boost condition, Vanes are most likely sticking. happened to me over the summer. I would shift down and get insane amounts of power then it would go into limp mode. Then finally my intercooler bottom blew apart. I took the down pipe off and sprayed Sea foam into the turbo and worked the actuator by hand to loosen it up. I spun the turbo wheel as well to get the seafoam moving around. it took a half can in multiple shots to clean it out. Then i let it sit for an hour then attached the down pipe and started it up to get the seafoam and soot out. There are other methods that are a lot better than what i did. It did a quick fix to get it back on the road.