jhax's Built ALH into a MK2 Golf thread

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Just need to purchase springs and retainers, probably can use the old ones but at $0.87 a pop seems minuscule. Turbo will be en route tomorrow from jolly ol' england. Then the intake, then the IP, injectors, glow plugs, timing belt kit, then the motor will be done. I am in no rush to get this done, this is therapy, no need to rush things.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Good news and bad news, bad news, someone stole my camshaft from my back seat...lock your door everyone. Good news... $200 for an 11mm pump, fuel lines, sprocket and injector nozzle bodies, aka win.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope, colt stage 2

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
My thoughts exactly, which leads me to believe it was a homeless person because they took my carhartt as well, been looking around on the ground near where it was stolen lately (near girlfriend's place) to see if they might have left it on the ground. No way to know what it's for. Maybe there well be a string of homeless murders due to blunt force trauma soon.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I've got a head

Now flows 86.17% more CFM .500 Valve Lift = 123 CFM

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, I agree, as unfortunate as it is it is what it is.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdimeister's Quote from the same thread - I know of someone who just purchased a GTC1549VZ, P/N 03L 145 721B, fitted into the CR170. I believe this will be the hot turbo for people who want a moderate performance upgrade -- supports max PR=2.4 and 0.18 kg/sec (24 lb/min) -- without sacrificing one-iota of spool-up response from stock, if not even better. Will keep updated.

Last edited:

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
I have the same turbo on the shelf. I bought it a couple years ago for a autocross engine build that got shelved. I am keeping it with the intent of building a torque monster AHU for my T4 Westy when the VR6 timing chain slap gets bad enough. Looking forward to following along with your results with this turbo.

Edit: Just looked at the opening post again. Are you building a compound turbo set-up with it? Considering the goal of 250+ HP you must be.

Last edited:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Nah, I have severely de-scoped after talking with Anuthee. He helped me realize that a 400+ ftlb mk2 would be fun to drive, but not good for a potential DD. I am shooting for 150-170HP. I realize I want a fun car, not an almost undrivable monster.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Good call for that light of a daily driver. I've got ~215WHP in my MKV which is a way heavier car, it requires one pay attention especially when traction is less than optimal.

The GTC1549 will spool up so easily it should be awesome for a daily.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I spoke with DC prior to buying from MikkiJayne on here.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Transmission Selection - I have been told by a reputable tdi mechanic to go with the early 02J because of the better syncromesh in the lower gears. After browsing the forums today, I have seen people say to go with the CTN 02A since they are the same transmission essentially. I also know that the 02J shift tree is a popular upgrade for the 02As due to better design. So which would you select for a 150-170 HP mk2 and why?

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
The 02J shift tower upgrade is an old trick for the 02A, you need a complete shift box, cables, and the selector parts from the 02J. 02A is also geared better for the size wheels used on a mk2.

Last edited:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
OR I could just save myself the hastle and buy a polo shift box and mechanism. Sounds good though, thank you. I replied to your PM Chris.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
OR I could just save myself the hastle and buy a polo shift box and mechanism. Sounds good though, thank you. I replied to your PM Chris.
find a Polo box if you have infinite resources or just make the mk4 02J shift box fit....there are plenty

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I already have two lined up. Just need to get the money to pay for them.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I am actually going to end up using both. I have a Passat that will be getting the 02J shift tower and the other will be going in the golf.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
also, i am running 15" corrado steelies on ze golf, just so i could stuff the 11mm rotors and audi 2 piston calpers in there. So the CTN gearing would be even better.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI

Found a CTN from a jetta at the local yard. $130 total. And Gramps eagerly watches me put it all together

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Looks great! I was planning on paying homage to the original VW green, also.

Not sure if I missed it, but that's rattle can green? I was considering POR 15's engine paint kit.

-Todd