My "new" 97 Passat sedan

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Hey folks! Bought a 97 Windsor Blue Passat sedan to replace Ol'blue (98 Jetta) that was totalled by a deer.It has 314k now(was almost 313k when I bought it). Flew out to Boston to pick it up, 44 mpg on drive home. The only major spot of rust was in lower corner of windshield drivers side,and a few scratches here and there. It does need some tinkering still(oil leak,blue smoke,rough idle when cold) and little bits and pieces interior wise,but all the people that have seen car so far can't believe it has that many miles.Car handles extremely well.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just spent last 1/2hr trying to get photos to post-trying to follow instructions another member gave me a few years ago to no avail. I can't seem to get to spot where it says copy to clipboard,unless that no longer exists. At least I got them into an album in members pictures section in the gallery-97 Windsor Blue Passat sedan if anyone wants to see-also a couple pictures of the oil that came out of my lower IC hose......

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
Post pictures as easy as 1,2,3 steps

1. Open window for photos / click on the photos
2. Open another window for the picture(s) you are going to post it
3. Copy picture from 1st window then paste it to the other window

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
Forget to tell you that, if you copy from the album and paste it to another window, the picture you get is the same size as the one in the album. To get a larger picture, you need to display it first then copy and paste.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well,it was 1 yr. ago today that I flew to Boston to pick up the B4-now 341k miles(29k this year). Still has a few quirks,avg. around 44mpg on Fuelly. Up for inspection in December,hope the torn rack boots will pass. I'll have to figure out how to get the cars' problems solved,that are in my capability range-blend doors,window tracking,slightly hard cold starts. Really hate to eff w/ glow plugs,as the 1st owner buggered one of the holes and heli-coiled it,which also was letting fuel escape slightly-the fuel seems to have halted for now. The rust spot on windshield pillar that I "fixed" last year seems to be holding up ok. The major expense the past year was my drive to Growler for the TB job,which on my way there I picked up some leather seats. I'll have to check Fuelly for exact cost of fuel and mileage for the year. Seems hard to believe I'm 1/4 way through my TB interval already:eek:.....

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, I hit some sort of dog/coyote/wolf Thurs morning(8/29),so the front passenger corner of car is effed up-still drivable,just not at night:rolleyes:. I'm going to an Allstate drive-in claim center Sunday,so I'll see what verdict is then-just over 361k miles now.Need to take some pics this time and try to post them.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow-2 years have flown by since I picked the B4 up. Now at 366,850 miles,avg. low 40's for mpg. Kinda waiting for deer season to be over before putting new headlights and replacement items on....

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
3 years and 2 timing belt jobs under its belt,the ol' B4 keeps plugging along. It has around 393,400 on it now,starts pretty good as long as the glow plugs stay on long enough. I've almost hit at least 5 deer the past few weeks,last was a stupid buck just standing in the road,about 500' from arriving at work:eek:......

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Almost made it to 4 full years-86 yr.old lady made left turn in front of me,I hit her front driver corner/tire @ about 40mph:mad::mad:,my airbag deployed,and I believe it will be totalled,front passenger side is crushed:mad::mad:....420,688 miles......

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
FRAP !!! ( it's crap with an "F") sorry to hear of this Bob and hope no one was hurt.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got a better look and snapped some pics,will try to post later.Not good. Passenger door is shut,but there is a gap between metal door frame and the interior. The intercooler is at a 45 degree angle. The passenger hood hinge is twisted sideways and rear hood corner is almost touching windshield(it did hit windshield). I can't even budge hood to open it,I probably will ask adjuster if I can try to open it or wait till he sees it.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I also noticed a couple dents in roof that weren't there before. Able to get hood open,after much swearing,and cracked lower passenger corner of windshield. I printed a couple comps I saw on Autotrader,along w/ receipts for the rear calipers,pads,and rotors,and front pads and rotors,and mentioned I have 2" hitch on it. Adjuster supposed to be here around 2pm Thursday.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And here's the dents in the roof....
you can see the big one,then there's a small one near the rear corner of sunroof....

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Dents like that in the roof often occur when a structural element gets moved around. You mentioned a gap in the door somewhere, it sounds like maybe the cowl got shifted a little.

I was so hoping that this was going to be a sheet metal swap with maybe a little straightening on the passenger inner fender. Now it looks like that won't be the case. It'll have to go on a frame rack if you want to try and fix it.

Steve

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
Looks like the hit was taken high on the light but now I see the passenger side photo showing the amount of pushback on the bumper face on the right side. Only way to tell is to start peeling back the damage. For comparison here's what I had: (dents in roof already installed so hard to tell of new ones IIRC)

The body structure as a result was pulled down about 3 " and towards the engine 1"

The good news is no one was hurt and you can always pick up the pieces and build an even better one, that I know.

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
If you're patient, the boyfriend and I will be selling our peach Windsor Blue 96 Passat Sedan at some point in the next year. West Coast car for it's lifetime, so virtually no rust. 5 lug conversion from a GLX, heated leather interior also from a different GLX, MKIV shift linkage upgrade. Drives like a dream. Boyfriend got it with a wrecked engine. She has the smallest possible oversize pistons. Needed to get the bore to take care of scoring b/c of previous owner. Perfect otherwise. Stay in touch.

This sale will only take place once we manual swap our B5.5 Passat with a Euro 6-speed. We'll be DDing the 96 til then. somewhere between 30-40k on the rebuild. :) Just an option for you.

Sorry for the loss of your current B4. I'm amazed you kept it away from all the damn deer up there in NE. Figures another driver ruins your day. Ah well. Glad you're okay.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did hit an animal a couple years ago,not sure what it was. I've hit 5 or more deer over the years,that's what totalled my A3 Jetta 4 years ago:(.I believe your Passat is nice,but it will be out of my range it sounds like. Still searching,still waiting for pics. The one I thought I might get-ran a Carfax and it shows over 80k more when it was registered last year than what's being advertised now:(:confused:.......

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
So are you building another one or what? Even though they are getting harder to come by it's still a good time to find clean B4's as long as you're willing to buy three to build one.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I'd let my sedan go pretty cheap if you wanted another. TONS of new parts and the floorboards were just replaced last winter before the issue. Still starts with the touch of a key but I think it has a bent rod. I'm working on it this weekend and will know more once I do the compression test.