How often are people adding DEF

DevilDogDoc

TDI
2011 Golf
At my last oil change I was right at 10000 miles and the laptop told me I was at 48%. Had 43000 miles on it then.

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
I have the phase II fix. My highway driving accounts for about 85% of my total miles. I get about 5600 miles on one gallon of DEF. VW claims about a four-gallon tank but my calculations say closer to five gallons. Either that or the fill level sensors are inaccurate.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
I'm up to about 20K since adding and still no light. I was beginning to wonder is something was wrong but I see others have gone a long ways between fills too. Haven't plugged in VCDS to see what the level is.

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
My last ~15k km readings, on a 2015 wagon with phase 1 done:

78% full at 121800km
65% full at 126545km (4745km and 13%)
53% full at 133237km (6692km and 12%)
45% full at 137329km (4092km and 8%)

So that's:

33% of the tank for 15529km (9649mi)
If the tank is about 4 gal, this is around 1 gallon DEF per 7500 mi for me.

15TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Roughly 20k miles in the last 6months i've added 4 gallons of adblue, 2 at the first oil change (40k service) and another 2 at the 50k service. Currently at 51.5k. No idea how much it holds as I'm buying the DEF from Walmart in the 2gal jug, but never had any warning lights.

Hitting regen about every 300-400 miles but I do 90% highway and about 750 miles a week. Majority (80%) of the regens are 70mph and barely noticeable. Stock car, fully fixed.

hillmatic

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
I haven't been able to pay attention to the frequency of DEF fills. I just fill it when the light comes on or it gets topped off at service intervals.

nathanso

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI S 6M (sold)
I've yet to try adding DEF to my CPO car since I've only put on about 2500 miles since purchasing it. But I did buy a 2.5gal cube of DEF to not be caught flat-footed when the warning is issued.
So here's my noob question.. how does one prevent over-filling using this simplistic delivery system, i.e. the accordion plastic tube? Does it even matter if some spills over the filler neck of the AdBlue tank?
I do have VCDS and the HEX-V2 cable but I've read that the AdBlue tank levels that are available in VCDS are very rough/not always usable to determine how much is needed to top up.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
So here's my noob question.. how does one prevent over-filling using this simplistic delivery system, i.e. the accordion plastic tube? Does it even matter if some spills over the filler neck of the AdBlue tank?
I do have VCDS and the HEX-V2 cable but I've read that the AdBlue tank levels that are available in VCDS are very rough/not always usable to determine how much is needed to top up.
I’ve only added when the warning comes on and it has taken the 2.5 gallon Peak each time. I haven’t verified with VCDS on pre and post level but would think you’re close. As far as overfilling, I was really careful the first few times. The stuff is pretty nasty and even says not to reuse the container. I’d be ready with some water to rinse off if you’d get on paint.

bbfarmer

TDI
2015 GSW
Such a small cost I honestly don't keep track or care. Light comes on, I refill.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Main reason for asking is it's been so long since adding I was beginning to wonder if it was working properly.
If there is an issue, you will gets lots more warnings, and even a countdown till the car cannot be started.
If you top it off every oil change as part of it, it's enough for most people. Driving habit's varry and Def usage is related to fuel usage,so it's possible some "spirited" drivers with low mpg MIGHT need a refill more often.