Just wondering how many of us are still happy Mk6 owners?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Thanks! Might have to pick one of those up for my mother's Mk7.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
well, I take what I said back... I would take a mk6 anyday and here is why.

It sounds and drives a lot like my mk4 which I love
The steering doesnt feel like you are driving on ice like the MK7 does. Try getting out of the 7 and using the steering wheel and you will almost break your arm

You can change the radio to whatever you want.. LOTS of aftermarket and much cheaper

It just looks better, more substantial

MK6 paint is MUCH better.. hoy cheap thin crappy paint Batman on the 7

much less complicated engine.

Seats are much better

body more beefier looking

even the manual transmission has a nicer feel to it.

probably easier to mod, and return to original ways after warranty

has a proven durability

better suspension

I would much prefer a mk6

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Never thought I would say it but the 7 is a better car all around.
I would much prefer a mk6
I am patiently waiting for you to put your money where your mouth is. Only then will your true feelings on the platforms be settled.

J/K thanks for sharing your thoughts. Have you been spending extended time in the MK6 that influenced your flipflop?

I'm loving mine. My biggest gripe might be the wind noise at highway speed. Its a gripe partly because it feels like they should have been able to do a better job for short money with better door seals.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
At 207K on my car I am still happy to drive it. I bought it new and has not really given me any trouble, still on original brakes.
After the emission fix, VW had to change the DPF, intake manifold and one of the glow plugs, all under warranty. The emission fix reduced the fuel efficiency by 2-4 miles and discernible power reduction was evident. To remedy both I bought KermaTdi's tune a week ago and so far I am very happy with it. The FE is higher than pre emission levels and driving the car is a blast. I could have not imagined these 2.0 CR engines would render that much torque and HP with just a tune while still maintaining over 40 mpg.

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
Turned in my 2013 wagon to VW and bought a 2014 at auction. 83k less kms and a few g's in my pocket. No fuel computer or blue tooth for the phone and no mag wheels though.

Last edited:

EffinNewGuy

TDI
2013 JSW
I sold my 2013 F-150 and picked up a CPO 2013 JSW, DSG, Pano, White, Cornsilk interior, bone stock from what I can tell. I keep looking for excuses to drive it. It reminds me a bit of my old 2003 Jetta GLS 1.8T that I sold in 2012, only different. I love it. It needs some tint, though. Otherwise, it's great.

It had 43k on the odo when I picked it up a couple weeks ago, then my wife and oldest daughter took it on a road trip to Orlando. I was left driving the wife's car - ugh. I get mine back tonight.

I haven't been able to start tracking fuel mileage, but the cars computer had me in the 34 mpg range for city driving, wife reported 38 on the way down to Orlando (she has a severe lead foot). That's lower than what others are reporting, but beats the snot out of my F-150 at 16/21.

keith102

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6spd
Sold my 12 Passat TDI DSG back to VW and picked up a 06 Jetta TDI DSG (pre emissions) with 110k miles. Year later just passed 150k miles. Been seeing a lot of TDIs in the market for good prices but very very few 6sp manual Jettas. Anyone know why?

mike837go

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
"Happy Mk6 Owner"?
I'd say, I ran the full gammut!
The salesman who was involved with the deal for my 2013 Jetta TDI Sedan did hardly any work. The car was a winner. I put 120,000 miles on the car in 44 months without any major repairs. I was very angry at VW over Dieselgate. Took the money and ran!
This spring, the fixed TDI's were being brought back to market. I bought a 2014 TDI Jetta SportWagen. All the bad driving habits came rushing right back. Another salesman got off easy....
Now I have the car I wanted, but couldn't afford at the time.

Very Happy Mk6 owner now!

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Sadly, I have made many many salesmen happy and lazy...

atsffan

TDI
2013 Golf United Grey 6M 2 doors, no waiting.
In addition to my earlier post on this thread, I also just purchased a 2012 Golf with Tech Pkg; a return from the dieselgate.

Looks almost new off the lot inside and out. All the maintenance is documented on Carfax, tires still have half their life left I estimate. Detailer did a nice job on the cleanup and waxing.

Only 19k miles, $12750 + tax, etc.

mikewire

TDI
TDI Inbound
Looking to get back into a TDI, I'm looking at buying a fixed (2014) MK6 JSW at a local dealer - they have about 8 right now ready to go. I was happy with my MK5 PD Jetta, MK6 Jetta and NMS Passat. It was sad to turn the last two in to the dealer for the buyback, but I'm excited at looking at these again and looking forward to having a TDI again.

In the next couple of months, I'll be purchasing a "fixed" MK6 TDI...I am curious if others are also looking into a similar now that they are coming back to the market. Do we have an official TDI re-buy of the buybacks thread somewhere?

ttcheung

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen 6MT
I purchased my 136k JSW 6MT back in August 2016 with no intentions of flipping it. The previous owner commuted up and down California, so the relatively higher miles didn't bother me at all.

I bought one of those VW goodwill cards on ebay for a fraction of their $500 value and used it towards a Black Friday discount Kerma tune. Since I was planning on keeping it through the emissions recall, and that the previous owner never registered the car with VW, I also pocketed all the restitution money.

Running costs are low, the emissions recall extends my powertrain warranty to almost 230k (they just replaced a 170k glowplug free of charge), and I get over 500 miles a tank. I seriously look at this car like it's one of those 1990s Japanese cars, literally bulletproof.

There are certain things on the car that annoy me, but I have been able to remedy them. I have a set of snow tires on Sparcos, and I feel my car's more capable than most SUVs out here. The only thing I wished it had more was rear legroom, something like the Passat would be great. I was in Germany for business and their current Passat wagons just look really good.

I sold my 2005 Legacy GT 5MT wagon so that I could buy a diesel, and although I sometimes miss the 300hp rush, having 170hp / 335tq and 40mpg isn't too bad.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
Last edited:

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
Still very happy. Avg 44 MPG on my commute through LA traffic. Road trips get me in the mid/upper 40s MPG. Nice ride, nice handling, great sound system.

No regrets on taking the money and holding on to the car

Do you have DSG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atsffan

TDI
2013 Golf United Grey 6M 2 doors, no waiting.
No, I'm navigating L.A. freeways with a 6-speed manual.

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
I liked my 2013 more but turned it in because the miles were higher and I wasn't looking forward to a timing belt change in its near future. The post fix 2014 I have now is a more basic model, louder in the exhaust and has a bit of window noise which means my wife doesn't like it. At least I don't think there will ever be a clock spring change in its future because there are no controls on the steering wheel except horn. When I apply a factor of 1.3 to the mileage because of the higher price of diesel it is no longer more economical than a gas model. Am I still a happy Mk VI owner? Yes.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
The wind noise at highway speed is probably my biggest annoyance with my MK6. It just seems like something that VW should have done a better job with.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I was very happy with my mk6 Golf TDI... until my HPFP blew up on a vacation road trip. I only ever used Shell diesel. Barely out of warranty, VW refused to help me out in anyway. It cost me $5000 out of my own pocket to get the car back on the road. Not wanting to experience the HPFP again, and with the CP3 upgrade completely out of stock, I opted for the buyback. Now I’m driving a mk4 TDI.

Between the HPFP issue and dieselgate, VW killed the best car ever made.