60/40 back seat split - can be retro-fitted?

VTJetta

TDI
GLS, 1998, black
Re: 1998 Jetta
I'm sick of giving up my whole back seat when I want to go skiing or load up the trunk. I bought a rack and all that, but it would be great if there was a way to put in a new backseat that had the 60/40 split. SO:
Are there any models of my car that had a 60/40 split and if not, would a Passat rear seat fit? Any suggestions?

Other retro-fit questions:
<font color="#666666">fog lights </font> and
<font color="red">heated front seats</font>
How hard to do post factory for a moderately mechanical person such as myself?

I think i have most of the other bells and whistles. Thanks!!
VT Jetta Girl

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I did it it is plug and play.Find a wrecked GLX in the Junk Yard if you want leather or a GLS if you want Cloth. The Bolt holes are already there they just have covers over them.
Same for heated seats Get the heated front seats out of a wrecked GLX and the switch and wiring harness these are very rare though.
for fog lights Same thing a wrecked GLX.
Piece of Cake!
Passat Seats won't fit.....Fronts will back won't.
Here is my old 99 A3 Jetta you get the Idea Here

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The Passat seat is too wide to fit.
Front fog lamps are an easily retro-fitted option. It had to be. It was a dealer installed option on the GLS trim VWs.
The needed items are the lamp and lenses, the shorter "dummy" blanks that fill in the center part of the current large "dummy", and a headlight switch. A Jetta III GLX can donate all of these items.
I don't know if that A3 body Jetta had heated seats as an option in the GLX. Probably available only with leather as with the US market Passat those years. Again, a donor Jetta III might be the cost effective means of obtaining the seats and the dash control switches.

John Beyer

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 White TDI/GT Jetta, 2003 Silver Jetta
I haven't put Fog Lights on my Jetta, but don't you have to put in a wiring harness? Our Passat has it but I don't think the Jetta does.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
yes you have to add a wiring harness as the A3 doesn't have one. Very simply though....There are several companies that sell premade plug and Play harness's