Squeaky Brakes

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Hi all. So recently my brakes on my 2003 Jetta started squeaking pretty bad. The rear pads were low so I replaced them thinking this might be the issue. The squeaking is far better but still a little squeaking and even just the faintest at times when I'm not even applying the brake. Any suggestions on a fix or anything? Is it normal for the brakes to squeak after replacing until they break in? I've maybe driven 30km since replacement......

As well the rotors I didn't replace they were smooth and still thick enough I believe....

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Not unusual for brakes to make some noise, should go away. We use a small dab of high temperature grease at all points of contact to avoid this.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
OK thanks Bob. I put some brake grease on the back of pads and contact points ( not the braking surface). Maybe I'll check the fronts and do the same

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Hey all just an update. So I ended up replacing my front brake pads as well. They had lots of wear left. But I replaced and used brake lube on the contact surfaces ( not rotor and pad obviously). Anyway so far the problem seems to be resolved no squeaking at all. So not sure if new pads or the lube helped, or both.......

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I have always found that a little grease on the rotor surfaces does very well for reducing squeaks and squeals. It does lengthen the braking distance rather alarmingly however, so I have ceased doing this. :eek:
Cheers,

PH

PS: OK, I never have really done this. Just thought I'd rattle a few chains out there... ;)