RNS-510 - How to switch back to current navigation route?

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
I'm having a hard time understanding how this works: I'm in navigation mode, then I want to change the music or radio station, or make a phone call, so I switch to that interface and make changes.

How do I get back to the current navigation screen? If I push on NAV I get the initial nav input screen, allowing me to stop but not to continue the current route.

Can someone help me understand how this is supposed to work, please?

Deezil_n_Dachs

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Try pressing the map button on the RNS unit to see your current position on your route, then use the left and right arrow button on your steering wheel to switch the MFI back to your navigation turn by turn.
Hope this helps!

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
^ This.

Think of the NAV button as only used to create / change a route. Map shows you where you are or where you are going.

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
Thank you both, it makes sense as you explain it. I'll check it out tomorrow and report back.

I'm still not sure if this is a useful feature or a dangerous distraction while driving with my attention on the traffic around me ...

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
When you change screens to your radio or phone the nav does NOT turn off. If you are 'navigating' the operation does not stop unless you arrive or hit the stop button.

If you like the MFI on your gauge cluster instead of the NAV instructions you can hit the map button, then hit it again and you will get a split screen showing the map AND the guidance on the nav screen.

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you, I understand that the nav doesn't stop if I change screens. But why can't I simply go back to the navigation screen?

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Thank you, I understand that the nav doesn't stop if I change screens. But why can't I simply go back to the navigation screen?
You can, as the others have said just hit the map button and it will take you back to the map view you had before.

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
You can, as the others have said just hit the map button and it will take you back to the map view you had before.
Thank you! So it's really not as complicated as I initially thought, oh my! I just hit the MAP button to go back to nav. :)