MAP Sensor Replacement DIY?

kowached

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Platinum Grey
Wasn't sure if I should post here, or General Discussion, excuse the duplicate post.

Wife's 2003 Jetta TDI (85k miles) has been losing turbo boost once in a blue moon, but it happened twice on her way to work this morning, and she got a Check Engine Light (finally) to boot. I assumed the N75 valve was going, but the dealer says that its the MAP (not MAF) sensor and wants $482 to do the job. I've been looking for a DIY on MAP sensor replacement, but haven't found it.

Does a faulty MAP sensor sound like a reasonable diagnosis, and can anyone provide a link to a DIY page?

A little more detail. I talked to the service advisor, and the error code is P0108 (DTC 16492) "Manifold ABS Pressure or Bar Pressure High Input", which doesn't sound like a sensor failure to me, it sounds like I there is high pressure, and sensor is reading it, causing the car to go into limp mode?

I do have an "Elephant Hose CCV" (CCV is open to the environment), and it did just start getting cold around here, I wonder if that could trip the CEL? I'm going to skip having the dealer replace the sensor, and hook the CCV back up the way it came from the factory.

Any thoughts?

More info, the MAP sensor seems to run between $100-$140. Bosch P/N: 0 281 002 177, VW P/N: 038 906 051.

Last edited:

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
Hi Dave, I too have Elephant hoses on my cars. No issues so far. Wouldn't trust a dealer too much though myself I'm not very good on some codes.
If you look down between the pass headlight and windshield washer tank on top of the intercooler...thats where your MAP sensor is on your car. Might I suggest you bring it a MI TDI GURU such as martinbergelllc.com

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
In cold climates, the 'elephant' hose can become blocked by water vapor freezing at the end. This will cause overpressure inside the crankcase and associated blown seals.

The MAP hardly ever goes bad. High boost could be from the N75, a going bad MAF, sticky VNT actuator or something similar.

kowached

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Platinum Grey
Thanks for confirming my thoughts, I was having a hard time buying that the MAP sensor was failing based on the P0108 code, combined with the fact that a failed MAP seems to be an almost non-existent problem on this Forum.

I was planning to use Martin Bergel for my 100k mile timing belt service, but you can bet I'll be using him to solve the current issue if I hit a brick wall myself. The ONLY reason the car went to the dealer is because I thought we were still covered under the extended warranty (wrong) and the dealer is near my wife's office, I'm pretty sure they don't know anything about TDI's there...

Tonights plan includes returning the CCV to the stock configuration, and check that the linkage from the vacuum actuator to the turbo vanes moves freely. I've run the elephant CCV through 2 Winters with no problems, but it has been an odd Winter for us, its been 50 and rainy for what seems like weeks, and it just started to get into the 20's in the morning, so I'm wondering if all the added recent moisture combined with the now freezing temps has given me my first elephant CCV problem. If not I hope its the N75 because I don't want to deal with an intake swap before Spring.