NREL B20 Study Shows No Increase in NOx Emissions

Spokane Walt

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Sedan GLS TDI 5sp, 2000 Jetta 2.0 AEG Gas, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon 5sp (wrecked - have some parts!)
From: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/11/nrel_b20_study_.html

NREL B20 Study Shows No Increase in NOx Emissions
9 November 2006

A recent study by the US Department of Energy’s National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) concludes that vehicles using a B20 biodiesel blend (20% biodiesel and 80% petroleum diesel) do not produce an increase in nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions. These findings counter those of an earlier Environmental Protection Agency 2002 report showing a two-percent increase in NOx emissions for B20.

For the study, NREL tested entire vehicles on a heavy-duty chassis dynamometer at its Renewable Fuels and Lubricants Research Laboratory (ReFUEL). The vehicles included three transit buses, two school buses, two Class 8 trucks, and one motor coach.

Using the chassis dynamometer, NREL researchers simulated both urban and highway driving for each of these vehicles. In addition, NREL reviewed previously published results for engine and chassis testing of B20.
This is a major finding because the perceived small increase was leading some state regulatory agencies to consider banning B20 biodiesel. Our study helps remove a significant barrier to the expansion of biodiesel markets.

Our study shows that the NOx impact of B20 varies with engine design, such that some engines show a small increase while others show a small decrease. The EPA’s 2002 review was based on a data set made up primarily of data from one engine model that produces a small NOx increase. EPA uses these data to draw a general conclusion for on-highway engines that B20 causes a 2% increase in NOx. The chassis dynamometer testing along with careful review of previously published data suggest that their conclusion is not correct, and that on average B20 has no effect on NOx.

—Robert McCormick,
NREL Principal Engineer for nonpetroleum based fuels research

Resources:
Effects of Biodiesel Blends on Vehicle Emissions (NREL/MP-540-40554)

http://www.nrel.gov/vehiclesandfuels/npbf/pdfs/40554.pdf

(Also Note: See GreencarCongress link above for a nice color chart of the tests)

shaark92

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, manual. '12 Jetta, DSG
Exxon Father N Law

My Father N Law called this to my attention this weekend.

It would seem more development is required before BioD can become a reasonably-scaled alternative ... buying additives ain't gonna cut it. having similar gelling issues to petro-D is one thing ... not being able to pass a vehicile inspection w/o adding $.16/gallon is another.

<sigh> i want this to take off ... would like to get into the retail sales of it ... but not if there are going to be no customers ... or at least not enough to support a bonifide business. if I want to continue "investing" in the economy, I'll just buy more cattle!:eek:

Al

shaark92

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, manual. '12 Jetta, DSG
ooops ... wrong thread ... i was reading about a report my father-n-law forwarded to me & didn't read this one carefully enough.