When do we get the Amarok TDI truck?

JaceBass

TDI
2006 Jetta
I just got back from Guatemala and saw they had awesome VW TDI trucks called "Amaroks" that looked like they could actually haul some stuff.

Either I'm moving to Guatemala, or I'll have to find a way to import... :D

Check the vid out - even though it's in Spanish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9YzCEmSvBU

Last edited:

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold: 13 Passat SEL TDI
I'd love to own a VW Amarok TDi! I've been aware of them for months now, watching the YouTube videos and such as well. With any luck, VW will offer a TDi version for sale in the USA, but I'm not going to hold my breath! Fingers crossed though for sure.

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
You would think they would atleast do a feasibility study like they are doing with the E-golf. I really think the amarok would deal a harsh blow to the big three, since it seems they arent as worried about their small trucks anymore.

bhutchins

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDiCup, 02Q built Sept 2010
from the post Covers come off new VW Amarok one-tonne truck

Dear Brian:

Thank you for contacting the Volkswagen Information Center. We appreciate your interest in VW.

The Amarok does not meet our current marketing objectives for the United States; therefore, we have no plans to offer this model in America at this time. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause. Feel free to check back with the website for future updates, especially the following "Upcoming and Concept Cars" link: http://blogs.vw.com/conceptcars.

With every model year, Volkswagen looks for exciting new ways to exceed the competition in the automotive market. One of the downsides of being an importer for the United States market is that it is not always feasible to sell every model available in other countries. Customer feedback enables us to determine what models and vehicle features our customers desire, and we're grateful you took the time to share your feedback with us. Your comments have been documented and made available to the proper parties at Volkswagen of America.

If you're interested in importing this vehicle into the United States, you will need to contact a registered importer in the US for further assistance. A registered importer will be able to tell you exactly what standards and procedures need to be met in order to import a specific vehicle. A list of registered importers can be found on the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration's (NHTSA's) website at: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/ActiveRIlist010410.pdf.

Thanks for visiting VW.com!

Emily
Volktalk
my dealer recomeded as many people as possible contact VWOA, and they may listen to nubers

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
With VW's reluctance to actually follow through on cars they did promise to bring in, I'd figure that if they're saying there's no plans to bring it in, then I'll be seeing pigs fly before I see an Amarok in this country.

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
wow.. .they were really showing off the capabilities of that 4x4. I think the bumper actually got wet while fording that river. :p

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
The Amarok looks pretty appealing, 6spd, 4-motion, TDI...I don't see how VWOA thinks this isn't viable...And with the Chattanooga factory open they could even build them here and avoid the issues of getting around the Chicken Tax...

siphyn

TDI
2012 Golf TDI w/Tech
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the main reason this isn't offered here is due to the chicken tax against imported trucks. There would be a 25% tax imposed on the trucks If they were sold here making them way more expensive than in other markets. If only VW would produce them in Tennessee.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
There would be a 25% tax imposed on the trucks If they were sold here making them way more expensive than in other markets.
Many markets have an import tax on light truck. Europe has a 22% tariff imposed on pickup trucks (#8704) - which applies to the made-in Argentina Amarok.

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Fuel would have to be pretty expensive to justify $40k.

Christ... I have only saved a hair over 10k driving my jalopy which gets 45 vs. the 17 I used to get.. 130k later....

I don't think people really do their math when it comes to fuel prices..

Last edited:

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
If I had the financial records to get a 40K loan, I'd seriously think about it. Manual + diesel + pickup + better than 15mpg = home run. That's freaking awesome!
Manual + diesel + pickup + better than 15 MPG = my truck! 21 MPH on the highway ... 17 or 18 when towing a horse trailer. Perhaps you should look for a 6 speed Ram with a Cummins. :D

JaceBass

TDI
2006 Jetta
In Guatemala diesel is $4/gallon, but gas is around $5/gallon. They have more VW models available, but not many people buy diesels there. VW is bigger in Mexico, Guatemala, etc. Mexico's taxi fleet is full of superbeetles.

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Manual + diesel + pickup + better than 15 MPG = my truck! 21 MPH on the highway ... 17 or 18 when towing a horse trailer. Perhaps you should look for a 6 speed Ram with a Cummins. :D
Nah, I'm skipping straight to a 90-94 International 4700 crew cab med duty with a dt360 or dt466 with a RTOO9513 trans swapped in. All mechanical, bomb proof, silly power potential, and I'll only give up 2-3mpg over a 1 ton dually pickup. The only time I ever need a pickup is to tow really heavy stuff. Might as well skip straight to the big boys for hauling two sled trucks on a gooseneck. I have a jetta and a 5x10 trailer for hauling anything you'd normally put in a pickup bed.

The sad part is that I can buy the International, bring it up to 500hp, modernize the interior, swap the trans, put bags at all 4 corners, and build a nice flat bed for less money than a 6 spd 03+ cummins quad cab dually in half reasonable shape with less than 300K.

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Nah, I'm skipping straight to a 90-94 International 4700 crew cab med duty with a dt360 or dt466 with a RTOO9513 trans swapped in. All mechanical, bomb proof, silly power potential, and I'll only give up 2-3mpg over a 1 ton dually pickup. The only time I ever need a pickup is to tow really heavy stuff. Might as well skip straight to the big boys for hauling two sled trucks on a gooseneck. I have a jetta and a 5x10 trailer for hauling anything you'd normally put in a pickup bed.

The sad part is that I can buy the International, bring it up to 500hp, modernize the interior, swap the trans, put bags at all 4 corners, and build a nice flat bed for less money than a 6 spd 03+ cummins quad cab dually in half reasonable shape with less than 300K.
Agreed with you on the DT466. Bulletproof! Definitely stay away from the DT360. They suck with no power!

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Agreed with you on the DT466. Bulletproof! Definitely stay away from the DT360. They suck with no power!
The 466's were only ~230hp tops, that's pathetic haha. You really think anything I own would stay stock :D? You can get 500hp/1000tq pretty easily out of either motor.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Many markets have an import tax on light truck. Europe has a 22% tariff imposed on pickup trucks (#8704) - which applies to the made-in Argentina Amarok.
What with the current problems in Argentina, caused by their out-of-control government, VW may be looking for a new site to manufacture the Amarok.

Might I suggest Puebla, MX?

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
I would LOVE to replace my 6.5 Chevy with an Amarok - but alas that will never happen. Meanwhile, I have a 7.3 Ford (fuel guzzling pig) that uses no less fuel than my FLD120 Freightliner with a 470HP DDECII Detroit when pulling similar loads! Just spent the last week with a new D-Max 3500 single wheel, and the average fuel consumption on it is running 27.5 litres/100 km - about same as my 7.3 and no where near as good as my 6.5.

I think VW is missing that that there is a HUGE market for a slightly smaller pickup with TDI power. As mentioned above: bring production into US to solve the tax issue.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
What with the current problems in Argentina, caused by their out-of-control government, VW may be looking for a new site to manufacture the Amarok.

Might I suggest Puebla, MX?
Might be quicker to change the production line in Puebla than in Chattanooga. Especially since they are having a difficult time keeping up with the Passat TDI demand. Leave it to VW to build a great vehicle and underestimate the demand. Much the same story with the Amarok. I think they are totally missing the demand of a high efficiency truck that can still be use as a truck.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Might be quicker to change the production line in Puebla than in Chattanooga. Especially since they are having a difficult time keeping up with the Passat TDI demand. Leave it to VW to build a great vehicle and underestimate the demand. Much the same story with the Amarok. I think they are totally missing the demand of a high efficiency truck that can still be use as a truck.
You're right, I think. The new generation of the Beetle is built in Puebla, and I doubt that it's selling all that well; so at some point VW will be able to shut down the Beetle production and build something else on that assembly line. Either the Amarok TDI pickup, or a real VW minivan (though something like the Suburu Forester would be alright), or an inexpensive roadster/sports car.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Can't see VW bringing the roadster to North America either. I could see an allroad version of the JSW with a diesel engine to compete against subie. The numbers of JSWs that VW is selling would seem to be a good bet to offer it in other setups.

dhectorg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI w/ Tech Package
I've owned trucks all my life, but this is the one I've always wanted... TDI, 4WD, nicely equipped... too bad we'll never see it stateside. They could easily build it in Tenn to avoid the import tax, that plant is nowhere near capacity. But VW doesn't think there's a market for it here. They're dead wrong.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've owned trucks all my life, but this is the one I've always wanted... TDI, 4WD, nicely equipped... too bad we'll never see it stateside. They could easily build it in Tenn to avoid the import tax, that plant is nowhere near capacity. But VW doesn't think there's a market for it here. They're dead wrong.
48% of light vehicles sold in April were trucks, 52% were autos. Truck sales were significantly higher, resulting in big increases in sales for the Detroit Three -- they actually gained market share for the first time in two decades, because they sell so many pickups.

Volkswagen does not sell pickups in the US. Maybe the Touareg counts as a truck, but they are only a tiny share of VW sales. Volkswagen NEEDS to sell pickups; it cannot grow without a broader spectrum of vehicle classes, including pickups and other light trucks.

The Amarok is built in Argentina for sale in Mexico and elsewhere in the Western Hemisphere. Argentina is an unreliable place for any company to do business, so VAG should move its production to Mexico ASAP.
http://www.vwcomerciales.com.mx/es/models/amarok.html