Bluetooth Audio and auto-starting from iphone 4

notimeforh8

TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6-manual
I have the same issue. At times, I won't even be listening to music but as soon as I turn off the car, the iphone starts playing whatever I was last playing out of it's own speaker. The worst part, however, is that the bluetooth playback only plays in one channel, not stereo.

trimhound

TDI
I have the same issue. At times, I won't even be listening to music but as soon as I turn off the car, the iphone starts playing whatever I was last playing out of it's own speaker. The worst part, however, is that the bluetooth playback only plays in one channel, not stereo.
Been dealing with that since I bought a 2012 last April and finally got around to fixing it yesterday....painful to go to the dealership but worth it for the fix! Wish there was a way for advanced users to do it at home!

Locnar

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT
Been dealing with that since I bought a 2012 last April and finally got around to fixing it yesterday....painful to go to the dealership but worth it for the fix! Wish there was a way for advanced users to do it at home!
I second that. I just picked up my car today and got the firmware upgrade. I just assumed Bluetooth audio sound quality was just terrible, but it sounds so much better now...nearly as good as the old iPod I have connected in the glovebox.

Think Ill even cancel my Sirius subscription now.

Also, nice to know the battery in my phone won't be half dead after a long trip due to the auto play being triggered.

Thanks to all that contributed to this post.

IchbineinDiesel

TDI
2012 Jetta 6 MT
The firmware update was done yesterday without any hassle from the dealer.
The sound quality is vastly improved, and I believe the auto-start problem with my Nokia has been remedied.

A free gallon of fuel to all who contributed with their help on this issue!!! (oops, I retract...I am simply a bit giddy at the moment....)

BarrieCommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline 6MT
I posted this earlier but in the wrong thread. I've got the 2011 jetta but the dealership here says that the update is not relevant to my car although it does have an RCD-510. Anyone else in the same position as me and trying to get a fix for mono audio over Bluetooth?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The TSB lists the 2012 and 2013 vehicles with the RCD-510.

pstroms

TDI
2012 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG w/Premium
Had my update applied over the weekend - took about 2 hours to complete. BT audio quality is greatly improved and auto-start of music has been remedied. I also like that the preset pages now change when you scroll through your different stations.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Had my update applied over the weekend - took about 2 hours to complete. BT audio quality is greatly improved and auto-start of music has been remedied. I also like that the preset pages now change when you scroll through your different stations.
The scrolling must be part of the /2 update. /1 does not do that... might have to go back and get the newest revision!

revchris01

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Oops!

Took mine in last week to get the update when I had my 30K service done. When I went to pick it up, they look at me and said: "Ohhh yea, you're the radio guy. So yea, for some reason the update fried your radio. We ordered you a new one."

Never got the update, just a brand new radio. Now it won't display my tracks, did the first day and then stopped.

Oh well..

MAPatronik

TDI
2012 JSW
FWIW, I'm posting my solution to this problem a couple years after the last contribution to this thread in case someone else (like me) might encounter this problem and search for solutions.

I have a used 2012 JSW TDI that I bought a month ago, as well as an iPhone 4s running iOS8. Like a lot of other people on this forum and others, I noticed my iPhone would automatically start playing music/podcasts/etc over the bluetooth upon starting the car. This would happen regardless of if auto-play was enabled in the car stereo preferences and whether or not the "media" button and bluetooth audio were your current selection. As you can imagine, this would serve to both drain the phone battery, as well as cause you to lose your place in a podcast episode. If auto-play in the menu was selected, it would cause the radio to switch over from, say, FM radio, to the bluetooth audio. It would also cause a switch over to bluetooth if you were, for example, using the phone's GPS and the phone issued a verbal instruction about an upcoming turn. All in all, a pretty undesirable quirk in its programming.

Note: Before I got the problem fixed, I did select bluetooth auto-play in the menu because I'd rather know that the phone's playing and stop it rather than have it play (using battery and perhaps data) unknown to me.

Because my car was still under warranty, and this problem was still a huge pain in the neck and, frankly, an unsafe distraction for this stuff to start happening while operating the car, I took my car in to the dealership for a radio firmware update. Buried in a thread on an Apple forum, someone else suggested this. Getting a firmware update as well as deselecting bluetooth autoplay in the car's stereo menu solved the problem.

Additional note: Having auto-play enabled after the firmware update will cause it to play automatically. But this is actually logical functioning, in this case. If you don't want to it to play automatically, de-select auto-play. In short, the update makes the auto-play function properly.

I can't speak to any other conditions besides having a 2012 TDI and an iPhone 4s that would cause this particular problem, but there did seem to be duplication of the problem across at least a few model years of VW cars and multiple generations of iPhones and iOS iterations. I've also seen mention of the same problem with Android phones. But this is what worked for me, and I hope it stays that way. Seems to have been a problem on VW's end, and not with the programming of the iPhone.

I will say that despite my car being under warranty, the dealership guy was still slightly reluctant to do the update for free. But I made a pretty succinct case for this impacting the proper operation of the car stereo, and didn't have to argue too much. It will apparently take the dealership several hours to download and update the stereo's software, so not exactly an in-and-out operation.

Last edited:

Aztraveler

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold 2014 Jetta back to VW in 2016. In Oct 2020 Bought 2015 Passat TDI SE CPO
I had the same issue on my 2012 with an Android phone. Software update solved the problem.

My 2014 never had the issue.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk