Camshaft replacement

alireza57

TDI
touran
Can any1 advice
Is there anyway I can replace the camshaft on vw golf mk5 1.9 tdi without removing tandom pump, and do I have to replace the cambelt as well as it replace on 40k mile ago
Is there any good write up and advice for camshaft repair in here some1 can give me a link please
Appreciate it

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

81-1.6

TDI
06 Jetta TDI PD
Don't try it without removing the tandem pump. It's not that hard, make sure you have a new tandem pump gasket and all new bolts for the bearing caps.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
It can be done

Can any1 advice
Is there anyway I can replace the camshaft on vw golf mk5 1.9 tdi without removing tandom pump, and do I have to replace the cambelt as well as it replace on 40k mile ago
Is there any good write up and advice for camshaft repair in here some1 can give me a link please
Appreciate it

Replacing the camshaft without removing the tandem pump can be done, as that is the way I did it with mine. Search this forum for posts by Frank06 and others for a great deal of useful information about cams.

Briefly, what you have to do is first position the engine at TDC, remove the belt, rotate the crankshaft backwards 90 degrees to keep all the pistons out of the way of the valves, then rotate the camshaft 90 degrees clockwise so the tandem pump slot is oriented vertically and there is minimal valve spring upward force on the #4 cylinder. This will mean that both #1 cylinder cam lobes point to the front of the car. The camshaft can be both removed and installed safely without damaging anything if it is in this position.

I think they whole procedure is on the board here in a post somewhere, but I cannot locate it right now. I have the complete, detailed instructions from Franko6 because I bought all the parts for the job from him, but as it is his written work and not mine, I do not feel at liberty to post them.

alireza57

TDI
touran
Replacing the camshaft without removing the tandem pump can be done, as that is the way I did it with mine. Search this forum for posts by Frank06 and others for a great deal of useful information about cams.

Briefly, what you have to do is first position the engine at TDC, remove the belt, rotate the crankshaft backwards 90 degrees to keep all the pistons out of the way of the valves, then rotate the camshaft 90 degrees clockwise so the tandem pump slot is oriented vertically and there is minimal valve spring upward force on the #4 cylinder. This will mean that both #1 cylinder cam lobes point to the front of the car. The camshaft can be both removed and installed safely without damaging anything if it is in this position.

I think they whole procedure is on the board here in a post somewhere, but I cannot locate it right now. I have the complete, detailed instructions from Franko6 because I bought all the parts for the job from him, but as it is his written work and not mine, I do not feel at liberty to post them.
Hi thank u does this work for any 1.9tdi engine?

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
Mine is a BRM engine. I think it might be the same for a BEW, but I really have no idea. I am not a professional mechanic. I just studied my BRM Jetta enough to do the work myself, and can report from first hand experience on only that.

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
I did mine without removing the TP

- set the engine to TDC using crank index tool
- moved crank counterclockwise 90 deg so all pistons are in the middle of their strokes.
- removed belt
- spun camshaft until "slot" joining it to the TP was vertical (no piston impact because all pistons are mid way in the cylinders right?)
- removed all fastners holding cam
- cam should be free by pulling from the top

Install is pretty much reverse of the steps.

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Can any1 advice
Appreciate it

I have the Cam tools and timing belt tools that I will give you a good deal on if you need them. I don't have my car anymore so I don't need them.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
BEW, BRM and BHW are all the same. Personally, I would remove the tandem pump to 1. make the job easier and 2. the TP gaskets are probe to leak and in turn take out the temp sensor housing. Also, I would replace the timing belt and water pump while in there. It's not a lot of money for the parts and you basically get to reset everything to 0 at the same time.

Also, if it is a BRM, and you are tempted to go with the cheaper BEW cam, just know that there will be a noticeable power drop from the BRM to the BEW cam

alireza57

TDI
touran
BEW, BRM and BHW are all the same. Personally, I would remove the tandem pump to 1. make the job easier and 2. the TP gaskets are probe to leak and in turn take out the temp sensor housing. Also, I would replace the timing belt and water pump while in there. It's not a lot of money for the parts and you basically get to reset everything to 0 at the same time.

Also, if it is a BRM, and you are tempted to go with the cheaper BEW cam, just know that there will be a noticeable power drop from the BRM to the BEW cam
I going to replace cambelt and waterpump along camshaft the question is do I have to do the camshaft first then put new belt or do the belt fist then then camshaft or it doesn't matter

alireza57

TDI
touran
I did mine without removing the TP

- set the engine to TDC using crank index tool
- moved crank counterclockwise 90 deg so all pistons are in the middle of their strokes.
- removed belt
- spun camshaft until "slot" joining it to the TP was vertical (no piston impact because all pistons are mid way in the cylinders right?)
- removed all fastners holding cam
- cam should be free by pulling from the top

Install is pretty much reverse of the steps.
Correct me if I am wrong
Place the crank on Tdc lock it
Take the belt off then
Remove the crank lock
Then turn the crank counterclockwise quarter turn... While the belts off
Or set the crank and camshaft into Tdc then turn the crank quarter turn counterclockwise so the position of the crank and camshaft not Tdc any more
In that position remove the belt and everything else then fit the camshaft in the same position as it was on removal and fit everything back...
Can I do the injector adjustment by turning the camshaft clockwise and anticlockwise while the belt not fitted and crank is not in Tdc?
Or I have to refit the belt first then make sure of Tdc position then adjust the injector by turning the crank?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Here is a link for cam replacement over at myturbodiesel, complete with videos.

https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/camshaft-lobe-wear-inspection-and-replacement-on-tdi-pd-engine/

Replace the cambelt otherwise you’ll be back in 40k miles doing a belt job, and you already have the engine apart.

I would remove the tandem pump. On a BEW engine there are 3 13mm bolts holding it on. I replaced mine without removing the pump and it only increases the complication factor, and I had a leaking pump gasket afterwords so after I had the job completely done I still had to remove the pump and replace the gasket.

For the $10 or so it’s worth it to become a premium member at myturbodiesel so you can see the second part of the write up.

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
Correct me if I am wrong
Place the crank on Tdc lock it
Take the belt off then
Remove the crank lock
Then turn the crank counterclockwise quarter turn... While the belts off
Or set the crank and camshaft into Tdc then turn the crank quarter turn counterclockwise so the position of the crank and camshaft not Tdc any more
In that position remove the belt and everything else then fit the camshaft in the same position as it was on removal and fit everything back...
Can I do the injector adjustment by turning the camshaft clockwise and anticlockwise while the belt not fitted and crank is not in Tdc?
Or I have to refit the belt first then make sure of Tdc position then adjust the injector by turning the crank?

It should not make a difference, because the belt removal process its just a matter of loosening the tensioner and pulling the belt. There should be no need to spin the crank.

Positioning the crank 90 deg ccw allows you to spin the cam at your convenience such as when setting inj lash.

I also recommend replacing t-belt and associated hardware while there.

As for the remove/do not remove the tp, if you go for not removing it, make sure the gasket is not leaking oil into the driver side of the engine. Otherway its a good timw to replace it.

If its your first time replacing the cam, grab an extra cam seal. They are easy to damage when inserting in the cam snout.

Please observe the general guidelines
* if tbelt is mounted and torqued and need to spin the cam/crank ALWAYS spin BY THE CRANK.
* once the belt is removed and the pistons parked midway (by the 90 deg ccw) you can spin the cam by its hub.
* please observe all torque sequences and specs for the different fasteners.

The myturbodiesel videls are golden and i also recommend paying the full membership. They are worth gold for the non professional mechanic.

alireza57

TDI
touran
Here is a link for cam replacement over at myturbodiesel, complete with videos.

https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/camshaft-lobe-wear-inspection-and-replacement-on-tdi-pd-engine/

Replace the cambelt otherwise you’ll be back in 40k miles doing a belt job, and you already have the engine apart.

I would remove the tandem pump. On a BEW engine there are 3 13mm bolts holding it on. I replaced mine without removing the pump and it only increases the complication factor, and I had a leaking pump gasket afterwords so after I had the job completely done I still had to remove the pump and replace the gasket.

For the $10 or so it’s worth it to become a premium member at myturbodiesel so you can see the second part of the write up.
Thanks my engine is bxe... Do they are different as it looks the same the1 in video? Another question while belts off and turn the crank quarter turn ccw to do injector adjustment by turning the cam with hub.. Does tandom pump have to fitted b4 adjustment or can fitted after the adjust the injector?

Last edited:

alireza57

TDI
touran
It should not make a difference, because the belt removal process its just a matter of loosening the tensioner and pulling the belt. There should be no need to spin the crank.

Positioning the crank 90 deg ccw allows you to spin the cam at your convenience such as when setting inj lash.

I also recommend replacing t-belt and associated hardware while there.

As for the remove/do not remove the tp, if you go for not removing it, make sure the gasket is not leaking oil into the driver side of the engine. Otherway its a good timw to replace it.

If its your first time replacing the cam, grab an extra cam seal. They are easy to damage when inserting in the cam snout.

Please observe the general guidelines
* if tbelt is mounted and torqued and need to spin the cam/crank ALWAYS spin BY THE CRANK.
* once the belt is removed and the pistons parked midway (by the 90 deg ccw) you can spin the cam by its hub.
* please observe all torque sequences and specs for the different fasteners.

The myturbodiesel videls are golden and i also recommend paying the full membership. They are worth gold for the non professional mechanic.
thank u for info

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Thanks my engine is bxe... Do they are different as it looks the same the1 in video? Another question while belts off and turn the crank quarter turn ccw to do injector adjustment by turning the cam with hub.. Does tandom pump have to fitted b4 adjustment or can fitted after the adjust the injector?

The tandem pump is not in time with anything on the engine. So it can be done afterward. BXE,BEW, BRM I think are all similar so it shouldn't make a difference. I saw you were from the UK so I was wondering what engine you might have.

However I have never seen a BXE engine so maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in on that part of your question.

alireza57

TDI
touran

And why do I get the noise sometime very clear and sometime very less sound like exhaust leak mostly louder in cold morning and less power but if is warmer day very less noise and no loss of power
Fire up with first start all the time and no smoke but mechanic reckon its the bad camshaft lifter

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
If there's a small exhaust leak that disappears when it's warmer, it's due to the metal expanding and closing the gap on the leak. If you're losing power from an exhaust leak, it's likely between the turbo and head, possibly just loose manifold bolts.

alireza57

TDI
touran
If there's a small exhaust leak that disappears when it's warmer, it's due to the metal expanding and closing the gap on the leak. If you're losing power from an exhaust leak, it's likely between the turbo and head, possibly just loose manifold bolts.
It's a same noise as manifold leak but the funny thing is It can be heard from air filter intake....
And very loudly if dismount the thick rubber pipe from egr valve!
How hard isit to torque the manifold bolts can it be done from the top or need to reach from underneath
I saw the black oil all over the back of the engine under the manifold could that be a reason?

alireza57

TDI
touran
thank u for info
Hi thank u I follow up the instruction and fit new cam and lifter and bearing shell plus new bolts and I remove the tandem pump to replace the gasket witch I did but unfortunately when I torque the one of the small bolts broke I follow the torgue witch was 20nm as it was in a book it has 2 big bolt and 2 small bolts I didn't start the car yet as I going to replace the cambelt do u think isit going to leak?
With only 3 bolt on?

alireza57

TDI
touran
Hi thank u I follow up the instruction and fit new cam and lifter and bearing shell plus new bolts and I remove the tandem pump to replace the gasket witch I did but unfortunately when I torque the one of the small bolts broke I follow the torgue witch was 20nm as it was in a book it has 2 big bolt and 2 small bolts I didn't start the car yet as I going to replace the cambelt do u think isit going to leak?
With only 3 bolt on?

It has 2 big and 2 small bolts and it has only 1 torgue settings in the Haynes vw manual book!!!

mnbrown25

TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Yes, the tandem pump will likely leak with only three of the four mounting bolts installed. It would be wise to take the time to remove the broken bolt now and install the tandem pump properly. New bolts would seem in order as well.

alireza57

TDI
touran
Yes, the tandem pump will likely leak with only three of the four mounting bolts installed. It would be wise to take the time to remove the broken bolt now and install the tandem pump properly. New bolts would seem in order as well.
Do u know where can I get bolts
Or I have to order similar bolts

alireza57

TDI
touran
Most TDI parts retailers probably have them, but here is one:
https://www.idparts.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=tandem+pump+bolt
Hi again yesterday install camshaft and do everything follow the instructions then today replace the cambelt and done everything correct as I know check the Tdc on crank and camshaft and lock them okay then unlock and do two full turn the engine with crank and check the Tdc and both did lock into the place but car don't start what could it be should lock the camshaft and loose the 3 bolt on Sprocket and move it a little and try to start again?
I check the tandem pump and didn't see any leak as I broke a bolt so don't think it anything to do with that
Did I do something wrong or the timing not corect

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
probably keep cranking. Sometimes they can take a while to get reprimed.

mnbrown25

TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Disconnect the injector harness plug (large round plug directly in front of the tandem pump) and crank the motor for a few 5-10 second sessions, then connect the injector harness and attempt to start. It is likely that you just don't have fuel primed to the injectors since you removed the tandem pump.

alireza57

TDI
touran
Disconnect the injector harness plug (large round plug directly in front of the tandem pump) and crank the motor for a few 5-10 second sessions, then connect the injector harness and attempt to start. It is likely that you just don't have fuel primed to the injectors since you removed the tandem pump.
Is there anyway I can check that with vcds while engine not starting
The crank sound normal no funny noise or bang or anything like that..
Is there anyway I damage the engine as I'm first timer?
I going to charge the battry over night as the charge gone.,I did it for 7 to 8 time with no luck ,
And try it in the morning with injector harness off
Thank u

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Not much VCDS can reliably tell you until you get the engine running, and I'm personally not sure disconnecting the injector harness helps much here... you want to know if it's firing.

Can you hear the in-tank fuel pump running for 5-10 seconds when you first turn the key to ON (may have to lift the back seat to hear it well)?

It's not uncommon for the in-tank pump to fail; the car will still run fine...for years...until the tandem pump loses prime for some reason. :)

alireza57

TDI
touran
Not much VCDS can reliably tell you until you get the engine running, and I'm personally not sure disconnecting the injector harness helps much here... you want to know if it's firing.

Can you hear the in-tank fuel pump running for 5-10 seconds when you first turn the key to ON (may have to lift the back seat to hear it well)?

It's not uncommon for the in-tank pump to fail; the car will still run fine...for years...until the tandem pump loses prime for some reason. :)
Car was fire up the first turn no issue at all till the camshaft and lifter start make the noise the first lifter has a hole in and worn on first lobe!!only bad1 the rest only spider web on lifter but cam fine
Always used 5w 30 high quality oil and service on time but this happened on 132k mile...
Anyway does tandem pump loosing its prime by only dismount from engine? Even with all pipe connected and not touched.....
This was a reason in first I didn't want to touch the tandem pump but I said well just let put new gasket on as it was in cambelt kit I already bought then on tighting and torque the bolts I strip 1 of the small bolt because of the wrong advice from book witch it say 20nm for bolts of tandem pump witch it suppose to be only for large bolts and 10nm the small bolts and here in UK it's very hard to find any online or ebay witch I manage to find some at the end of 20 contact I made then still waiting to come but with the crank the car earlier on didn't see any leak as it has only 3 bolt holding it on the place....