2006 Jetta TDI, DSG Rattle help Please!

TDIER

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG , BRM
Folks,
Need your help...
The DSG seems to be making a grinding noise ( seems more of a reciprocating noise) only at certain loads / speeds. the noise is more related to engine RPM than road speed.
Cannot be duplicated in park, no noise when the car is in motion and in neutral.:confused:
Had the drivers side wheel bearing changed recently. Mechanic thinks it the bearing on the differential drive shaft??? It has started to jerk a bit coming to a stop. The rest of the tranny shifts fine.
Any help on what this could be, is greatly appreciated.:)

Madan
2006 Jetta TDI 178K, DSG ( Helga)

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Inform yourself on dual-mass flywheel issues with the 2006 car's. It's a matter of when not if. Check your alternator pulley to rule that noise out, it sounds a lot like a failing DMF. IF you find the flywheel to be the cause of the noise get it replaced ASAP. Also, it sounds to me like you need to find another mechanic that's familiar with TDI's.

TDIER

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG , BRM
gentlemen,
Thank you so much for your input.... have a update on the car.
Had a spirited (but civil) conversation with the mechanic on the DMF.

Car on the lift tranny in neutral, engine off. Grinding noise when the drivers wheel is turned. Is this a good test to rule out the DMF failure as the DMF is not in operation now.
Checked the alternator pulley...no issues as it was replaced 8 mo ago.
He claims that it is still probably a bearing issue, he has searched all his resources and VW does not sell any spares for the DSG. Any part sources that I can call for spares??
Latest symptom car jerks when coming to a full stop.
I am taking it to another tranny shop for a second opinion.
Should I be looking for a rebuild tranny? any help is appreciated.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
gentlemen,
Thank you so much for your input.... have a update on the car.
Had a spirited (but civil) conversation with the mechanic on the DMF.

Car on the lift tranny in neutral, engine off. Grinding noise when the drivers wheel is turned. Is this a good test to rule out the DMF failure as the DMF is not in operation now.
Checked the alternator pulley...no issues as it was replaced 8 mo ago.
He claims that it is still probably a bearing issue, he has searched all his resources and VW does not sell any spares for the DSG. Any part sources that I can call for spares??
Latest symptom car jerks when coming to a full stop.
I am taking it to another tranny shop for a second opinion.
Should I be looking for a rebuild tranny? any help is appreciated.
Bearing as in wheel bearing?

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Yeah, that doesn't compute... He said frequency was RPM based, not wheel.
I am more familiar with wheel bearing issues than wish to. Best way to diagnose without removing parts is to wait until they progress louder, then put the car on a rack or 4 jack stands, start motor and put in drive. For best results have someone increase speed, then put a stethoscope or long screwdriver against the hub or knuckle and listen. Do same on opposite wheel and compare.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
North Carolina has many TDI Gurus. Go to one of them. Why would you go to a tranny shop? You get your teeth cleaned at the proctologist?