Are TDI Struts different than non TDI?

chin00kie

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
I am searching for shocks and struts for my TDi. I am frustrated because I am on a budget and will need to get tires also. As I search for shocks I see many companies offer shocks for a 1997 Jetta but they say "Not for diesel". Why would the TDI suspension be different than the gasoline models? Also, what kind of shock would be the best to replace on my TDI? My car is bottoming out on rough road so I assume the springs are bad too.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
There are a lot of options, so it depends on what you have done to your jetta or what you plan on doing.

My original shocks and springs and struts on my 03 jetta lasted over 10 years. I should've replaced them a few years ago, but they still function okay. I'm replacing them this year. Everything on my jetta is stock and I'm planning to keep it close to stock. That said, I'm going to probably buy the Bilstein TC or Koni orange struts/shocks from idparts or another vendor. I'm not sure on springs, but I may entertain the idea of VR6 front/Wagon rears.

As far as gas/tdi, I have no idea... a size difference maybe?

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There are a lot of options, so it depends on what you have done to your jetta or what you plan on doing.
In fact there aren't a lot of options for MKIII Jettas. And I don't think you'll find more than one type of strut/shock for the car. Bilstein doesn't differentiate between diesel and gas, for what that's worth.

All I know of that's still available are Bilstein TCs, Bilstein HDs if you can locate some, and OE dampers, which, to the best of my knowledge, are now Monroes. You might find KYBs, too. Oh, and we have Koni STR.Ts A3, which is the only Koni damper option left for that car.

I wouldn't worry about any diesel/gas distinction, just get something you'll think you'll like and you can afford. And if the dampers are worn the suspension will bottom out. Don't assume the springs are bad, although you should check for ends broken off when replacing the suspension.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
From the factory there were variations in springs/dampers between 2.slow, TDI & VR6.

In the aftermarket world, they tend not to distinguish between the 3 engines.

Partsplaceinc.com has new assemblies with new springs that you can buy also.