Dealers bidding on used Passats for resale?

mejpassat

TDI
2015 Passat TDi (NOS), 2014 passat TDI (Buy back), 2001 Tdi Golf (Gifted to Son)
I currently have a 2014 SEL which I have completed all the paper work for a buy back.
I was at a dealer in SO California and noticed that the dealer had a small selection of used TDI"s. I was told that they were from VW credit for resale.

I mentioned that I was looking for a replacement Passat and was told that they had not had any of those come through yet, but that they can go to a VW site and find me one and bid on it.

My question is, is this dealer pulling my leg or is this how VW is getting the cars back into the market. (By bidding on the cars?)

I was also told that the cars would come with a 2YR/24K bumper to bumper warranty along with the extended emissions warranties as well.

Just wondering if all of this is correct or if they are not being on fully upfront.

Anyone purchased a replacement this way?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I currently have a 2014 SEL which I have completed all the paper work for a buy back.
I was at a dealer in SO California and noticed that the dealer had a small selection of used TDI"s. I was told that they were from VW credit for resale.

I mentioned that I was looking for a replacement Passat and was told that they had not had any of those come through yet, but that they can go to a VW site and find me one and bid on it.

My question is, is this dealer pulling my leg or is this how VW is getting the cars back into the market. (By bidding on the cars?)

I was also told that the cars would come with a 2YR/24K bumper to bumper warranty along with the extended emissions warranties as well.

Just wondering if all of this is correct or if they are not being on fully upfront.

So why do you want to sell your car back? If you are interested in buying another one? Sounds like you are caught up in all the buy-back hype. If you want a used car the same as what you have just get the fix and you will also get the extended warranty plus a check for your trama.

Last edited:

mejpassat

TDI
2015 Passat TDi (NOS), 2014 passat TDI (Buy back), 2001 Tdi Golf (Gifted to Son)
So why do you want to sell your car back? If you are interested in buying another one? Sounds like you are caught up in all the buy-back hype. If you want a used car the same as what you have just get the fix and you will also get the extended warranty plus a check for your trama.
Not so, I will be going to a car that has 16K miles vs. 45K and out of warranty,
going to a car that has the newer version engine, going to a car that has a newer audio system, adaptive cruise, etc.

Worthwhile to me because the cost will be an almost wash in cost.

mejpassat

TDI
Besides, I wasn't asking for an opinion on the financial merits of doing this.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
What you're describing has been VW's plan for reselling the bought-back cars. Few, if any, people have actually gone through this process yet. At the moment it would only be for 2015 models and maaaaaaybe the 2012-2014 Passat with automatic transmission only - since those are the only ones for which there is an approved fix.

Given how few, if any, people have actually done this, ask lots of questions of the dealer ... at the moment, that's the only place you can get answers to questions such as what's the warranty, what's the condition of the car, etc.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Not so, I will be going to a car that has 16K miles vs. 45K and out of warranty,
going to a car that has the newer version engine, going to a car that has a newer audio system, adaptive cruise, etc.

Good Luck finding the Goose that layed the golden egg.:D What sez a newer audio sytem will be any better than what you currantly have, adaptive cruise? many hate it. Newer version untested engine in the American Market it will have it's own set of issues just like all it's predisesors. I wasn't giving finacial advice. If you don't like your current TDI I really don't think a one year newer is gonna make any difference.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
That is just an ignorant comment.
I am doing the buyback on a 2013 TDI SEL and now have a 2015 TDI SEL. The 2015 is several evolutions past the 2013. The 2015 is a very different car. Far superior to the 13. If you want to spout off with an ignorant opinion, you'll serve no one but yourself with your uninformed comment.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Funny, we own one of each, and other than the idiotic CarNet crap, I have yet to find a difference in equipment other than the engine version . . . . Both RNS510, etc etc. Biggest diff is the wife wanted a different color!

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
I sold back a 2013 Passat SEL Premium and bought a new 2015 Passat SEL Premium, and the ride and handling of the 2015 is hands down much better than the 2013. Honestly I didn't expect much difference so I was very surprised. Also even though the stereo head unit is the same model, the sound is much better, which is surprising too because they both had the Fender system. The 2015 is also much quieter on the road. So I am another one who went with the same but newer Passat. At the time of my buyback, there was no fix announced, so I pulled the trigger. But the biggest reason I sold it back was the air bag recall. Even though the odds of my air bags going off and killing one of us was slim, that chance was still there and my wife quit driving the car if the grand kids were in the car. Also when I got the air bag recall notice for the airbags, I talked to our local VW dealer to make an appointment and they suggested we quit driving the car until they had some new air bags, but he had no idea when they would get them due to there being millions of faulty air bags to replace. So I had a vehicle that my wife would not drive, so it was pretty much useless to keep. One more thing, I made out like a bandit on the buyback so I paid off the 2015 before the first lease payment was even due. So I still have a paid off vehicle with a 11 year warranty and no air bag recall.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I took my 2015 Jetta SEL TDI in for service yesterday and the guy at the Express Service desk asked me if I was going to Sell ......Told him maybe and that I had recently purchased a 328D the guy at the desk Opposite him says I will check it out and walked out to look at my car I walked by him and told the asking price was 21500 and no dealer would pay that....they didn't talk to me anymore....LOL

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
I sold back a 2013 Passat SEL Premium and bought a new 2015 Passat SEL Premium, and the ride and handling of the 2015 is hands down much better than the 2013. Honestly I didn't expect much difference so I was very surprised. Also even though the stereo head unit is the same model, the sound is much better, which is surprising too because they both had the Fender system. The 2015 is also much quieter on the road. So I am another one who went with the same but newer Passat. At the time of my buyback, there was no fix announced, so I pulled the trigger. But the biggest reason I sold it back was the air bag recall. Even though the odds of my air bags going off and killing one of us was slim, that chance was still there and my wife quit driving the car if the grand kids were in the car. Also when I got the air bag recall notice for the airbags, I talked to our local VW dealer to make an appointment and they suggested we quit driving the car until they had some new air bags, but he had no idea when they would get them due to there being millions of faulty air bags to replace. So I had a vehicle that my wife would not drive, so it was pretty much useless to keep. One more thing, I made out like a bandit on the buyback so I paid off the 2015 before the first lease payment was even due. So I still have a paid off vehicle with a 11 year warranty and no air bag recall.

We did the same thing but moved up from a 13SE/sunroof to the 15 SEL. We basically broke even considering the 13 would need tires, 40Kservice including the DSG, etc.

The 15 is much quieter, probably mostly tire noise and the seats are better for sure. All new suspension components do make for a better ride/handling. Hadn't thought about the airbag issue to be honest, thanks for pointing it out. We leased but paid it off before the 1st payment was due.

We're happy, the TDI dovetails quite nicely with our 15 SEL eGolf. TDI for distance, eGolf for all local driving, plus we generate our electrical power with an AllEarth solar tracker.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I must admit (and for me this is hard), the 2015 Fender does sound better than the 13's. I've never been a fan of Fender's efforts as displayed in the 13. A long time audiophile, I was very critical of the Fender system in the 13 and felt it was the victim of nasty bean counters. The 15's Fender is very much superior and other than not being fond of the imaging and soundstaging, I find the tone/ voicing of the speakers to be much better.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
We have both on the driveway together . . . the wife wanted a different color, and I wanted something with better mileage, so kept the 2013 - fix or not at the time, I could have cared less - there is no problem that affects me, and thus go between them regularly . . . If there is a difference in the seats or the sound, I can't find it . . . all I could attribute it to is wear. Can't tell you on road noise, since the radio is rarely low enough to notice . . . Oh, and we got the airbag replaced months ago, so not sure why that is even a consideration . . .

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Nothing said about how good a car you're planning trading for a "new" 2015. You don't mention any problems, so if the car's good, why trade it for an unknown quantity? Our 2013 Passat has been virtually flawless, and (if we weren't doing the buyback), we would just keep it before trading on any 2015.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
I did just that - bought a used '15 Passat SE 6MT, to replace my '12 Passat SE 6MT.
The CPO came with 8K miles on it, I documented the process in a different thread.

Going back , there were rumors that that BB dealer would have the right of 1st refusal - as a token of sort for the inconvenience. So may be this bidding thing does have some truth to it.

A dealer, acting on your request, locates the used car among the 10s of thousands of '15 in those LotsOfNoReturn. Offers XXX$ for it. The BB dealer gets a note saying, hey, unless you act, this car is going to be sold to somebody else.

My dealer located my car and then there was about 10 day wait before it landed at the dealer. The logistics must be mind boggling.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Well,
After following this thread and others, it is like listening to children bicker about who made the right decision like my Dad can beat up your Dad. They sold their current TDI for a new one. Some say the 2015 is the same as what they had and others say it is the greatest thing since sliced white bread. I was even called names (ignorant) because of my statements. It is not like you are buying a 2017 model It's a fixed 2015. With that being said there are some saying the fix screwed up their 2015. The only thing I can see that is new is the engine, is it better than what we had or have remains to be seen. Nuff said and I hope everybody is happy with their choice, what is better still remains to be seen. Way too much ego here for my taste. Driving up grassy hills to try and see if the traction control is improved WOW!
Flame Suit ON

Last edited:

mejpassat

TDI
I did just that - bought a used '15 Passat SE 6MT, to replace my '12 Passat SE 6MT.
The CPO came with 8K miles on it, I documented the process in a different thread.

Going back , there were rumors that that BB dealer would have the right of 1st refusal - as a token of sort for the inconvenience. So may be this bidding thing does have some truth to it.

A dealer, acting on your request, locates the used car among the 10s of thousands of '15 in those LotsOfNoReturn. Offers XXX$ for it. The BB dealer gets a note saying, hey, unless you act, this car is going to be sold to somebody else.

My dealer located my car and then there was about 10 day wait before it landed at the dealer. The logistics must be mind boggling.
R11 thanks for the information....this was exactly what I was hoping to find out.
Other replies have been interesting and had ideas to think about.

I have decided to keep the 2014 for now and consider doing this process later, hoping that the prices drop further.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
The dealers have an online tool to bid on eachothers' cars. It's not exclusive to VW. Anyone with a dealer's license can get in on the action.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
Wait, what? The 2015 has adaptive cruise control? We just bought a new Passat SEL Premium and a new GSW SEL. Neither car has this feature that I know of. I had a 2013 Passat SEL Premium and other than slightly more engine noise on the highway, the car is identical. If I have it and am just ignorant, please tell me.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
Of course the air bag is not an issue for tadawson, they were lucky and got theirs replaced. But my dealer said it could be 6 months to a year before they would nave any air bags in stock to change the one in our 2013 Passat we gave back and I was not going to wait that long. Not sure how they dole them out, but with almost every manufacture needing replacement airbags, I can see how it could take a while. They need to replace millions of airbags through the industry.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium and it does not have adaptive cruise control. My wife’s 2017 Passat SE with technology does have it. (Gasser)

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Of course the air bag is not an issue for tadawson, they were lucky and got theirs replaced. But my dealer said it could be 6 months to a year before they would nave any air bags in stock to change the one in our 2013 Passat we gave back and I was not going to wait that long. Not sure how they dole them out, but with almost every manufacture needing replacement airbags, I can see how it could take a while. They need to replace millions of airbags through the industry.
I have no idea how we got it and others didn't . . . we got the notice to schedule the work in the mail from VW, called, and done . . . I assumed that since this stuff typically goes out en-masse, that VW had full stock. Considering, though, that the warmer/wetter climates get hit far worse, perhaps we got in early being in TX, whereas those in the north are at far less risk, since the problem takes time to develop . . .

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
Forgot about the warmer wetter areas that seem to affect the old air bags much more than up north. Think you hit the nail on the head.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
You must be looking for a 16+ Passat then, 2015 doesn't have adaptive cruise. 2015 Passat SEL has RNS which isn't worth any sort of hassle.

Sounds like a TSI may be in your future.