A note on GOOD brakes

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
We've had our '13 Passat almost four years, and never even a close call. Well, until yesterday. We were on our way back from a 100 mile road trip, and a pickup pulled out in front of us on US 36, we were doing 65 headed West, and all I remember is a photographic impression of the truck turning in front of me into the same lane, seemingly too close to avoid. I just did a full on panic stop, stood on the brakes, and the Passat did the rest. The ABS clutched 3 times before it was obvious I wasn't going to rear-end him. The car really did the job, and on our OEM Continental ProContact tires with 59K miles, still about 1/8" of tread over the bars. Call it "German engineering," or whatever, these brakes really work. (I'm sure a nice June day with temperature in the '70s on dry pavement helped, too.....)

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
OK, the brakes passed the test. How about your shorts? :eek:

Glad to hear the car did it's job - could've been a worse outcome obviously... :rolleyes:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
OK, the brakes passed the test. How about your shorts? :eek:
Glad to hear the car did it's job - could've been a worse outcome obviously... :rolleyes:

Yes, you have correctly assessed the threat level here; it was at Defcon "change underwear."

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
that's the beauty of a vw, they handle way better than most think they will, iv done a half turn of the wheel @ 70 to avoid wildlife and for sure thought I was going to spin a 180 but it stayed glued to the road and the electric steering hung with me where hydraulic systems revert to manual if the wheel is counter steered back and fourth quickly- my Toyota truck has a full loss of power assist when I'm in the snow whipping the wheel back and forth several turns each way trying to catch the a$$ end even with the engine @ redline

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
my Toyota truck has a full loss of power assist when I'm in the snow whipping the wheel back and forth several turns each way trying to catch the a$$ end even with the engine @ redline
Sounds like we both drive the same in the snow.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Yup, just recently also found out how good the brakes on the 2015 are.
Due to a moment of inattention I had to hammer the brakes too.:confused::confused:

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
One thing my daughter's 2017 has that my 2015 doesn't is the "radar brakes." Saved her bacon at least once so far.

-mickey