2003 TDI Golf no boost from turbo and Glowplug light is flashing after motor replace

Drzaius

TDI
1999 beetle
I picked up a 2003 TDI Golf for $400 runs and drives but no turbo and the glow plug light is flashing.

Ideas on where to start? I think something was just left unplugged but who knows.

Thoughts?

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
I'd buy a diagnostic cable to start off with, either OBDeleven of VCDS. VCDS lite will likely cut it for you, but you're going to have a hard time without being able to diagnose the vehicle.

Drzaius

TDI
1999 beetle
Thank you guys so much you always give me a great place to start. Couldn't pass up a 2003 TDI with a manual for $400 plus I get the old motor to boot.

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
The car is likely in limp mode in order to save the turbo/motor.

or is the turbo physically removed?

Either way, the ECU limits power dramatically in order to try to keep everything safe. It should be fine, and hey, it was only 400 bucks.

Drzaius

TDI
1999 beetle
The car is likely in limp mode in order to save the turbo/motor.

or is the turbo physically removed?

Either way, the ECU limits power dramatically in order to try to keep everything safe. It should be fine, and hey, it was only 400 bucks.
The turbo is still there but no CEL just the flashing glow plugs.

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Often you won't get a check engine light from turbo over or under-boost, the ECU will simply limit power until the next time you cycle the key. With diagnostic software you can read out all of the sensors, including the MAP, which will let you know what kind of boost the car is producing, where, and how the N75 valve is regulating it. That'll be your easiest method for working on this car and will save you from throwing parts at it.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
very common code. it simply means that the ECU is not seeing the amount of boost pressure that it expects to be seeing.

most common cause is a boost leak someplace. VERY THOROUGHLY inspect all the pipes, especially the connections. you will probably find your culprit.

next most likely is the turbos control system. this includes the N75 (boost control solenoid valve) and the MAP as suggested by Owain. check all the vacuum lines and replace as needed. if they are old and weak, just replace them anyway, its like $10... this could also include the actuator that moves the vanes on the turbo, it can be tested with a Mity-Vac type tool.

least likely is the turbo itself failing, either catastrophically (there would be other symptoms you didnt mention - so its not likely) or sticky vanes. In an underboost situation, the vanes could be stuck open causing little or no boost, but that doesnt mean the turbo is junk.

it probably just needs to be cleaned and a new actuator. However, if you take of the inlet pipe and feel that the shaft wobbles around like a drunken sailor - then its junk and we can show you the best places to source a replacement.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Since you just got the thing I would go over all the control systems checking wires, connecters, hoses and proper operation.

Drzaius

TDI
1999 beetle
very common code. it simply means that the ECU is not seeing the amount of boost pressure that it expects to be seeing.

most common cause is a boost leak someplace. VERY THOROUGHLY inspect all the pipes, especially the connections. you will probably find your culprit.

next most likely is the turbos control system. this includes the N75 (boost control solenoid valve) and the MAP as suggested by Owain. check all the vacuum lines and replace as needed. if they are old and weak, just replace them anyway, its like $10... this could also include the actuator that moves the vanes on the turbo, it can be tested with a Mity-Vac type tool.

least likely is the turbo itself failing, either catastrophically (there would be other symptoms you didnt mention - so its not likely) or sticky vanes. In an underboost situation, the vanes could be stuck open causing little or no boost, but that doesnt mean the turbo is junk.

it probably just needs to be cleaned and a new actuator. However, if you take of the inlet pipe and feel that the shaft wobbles around like a drunken sailor - then its junk and we can show you the best places to source a replacement.
So in the end it was the MAF.

After trading parts off of my jetta and testing it was MAF that gave me the boost back. It could have been the N75 that I swapped right before the MAF. But I am good to go now drives like a champ.

Thank you guys for all your help