Does your have a Hood prop rod or lift support shock.

cameron69

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta 13 Passat SE 6MT
My 13 has a prop rod to hold the hood up. When I was looking for car I could have sworn I seen a couple with the gas charged lift support on the passenger side just off center to hold the hood up. Are there any Passats with the gas charged lift supports or was I imagining things. I would like to switch mine over if there is. So any pictures or part numbers you could find if you have one would be greatly appreciated!

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Ours has the "gas shock" support. If I think about it tomorrow I'll look for a part #.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Last edited:

cameron69

Veteran Member
TDI
Ours has the "gas shock" support. If I think about it tomorrow I'll look for a part #.
Does it hold the hood adequately? Or are there issues with the gas shocks?
The link in the previous post sounds as though there were some problems but the link in that link is dead. So I don't know.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
holds just fine, it was a added in spring 13 built cars

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
not sure which link you found does not work.

from the vwvortex discussion:

The Front "Water Box" the sheet metal panel that goes side to side and has the lower mount for the strut is part number 561-805-275.

The Strut is 561-823-359

The replacement hood (since ours doesn't have the mounting bung for the ball pin) is 561-823-031-E.

It looks like vehicles built 02-11-2013 and later will have the hood strut.

there was some discussion whining about a single strut vs two struts, but it seems a single strut works fine as specified.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Does it hold the hood adequately? Or are there issues with the gas shocks?
The link in the previous post sounds as though there were some problems but the link in that link is dead. So I don't know.
Bought our car in July '13, think the build date was in May. So far it works fine. However, these "gas struts" will fail eventually. The big one that holds up the lift gate on the back of our SAAB wagon failed while the car was still under warranty. They will generally start to advertise their failure by getting weak in cold weather.

cameron69

Veteran Member
TDI
not sure which link you found does not work.

from the vwvortex discussion:

The Front "Water Box" the sheet metal panel that goes side to side and has the lower mount for the strut is part number 561-805-275.

The Strut is 561-823-359

The replacement hood (since ours doesn't have the mounting bung for the ball pin) is 561-823-031-E.

It looks like vehicles built 02-11-2013 and later will have the hood strut.

there was some discussion whining about a single strut vs two struts, but it seems a single strut works fine as specified.
I seen some of the whining but no complaints about it being inadequate. Thanks for all this info!
The link in post #1 for Jay's car blog I tried that and got a domain ad. The part numbers is what I was looking for thanks! I was tired and missed them last night when I read through that thread.

I'm sure I can come up with a solution for the top mount without buying a new hood.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
My Passat is on a road trip, so I can't look at it. IIRC, both brackets (hood and inner fender) are welded on, not bolted. I believe there's already a thread on the topic, and the conclusion was...yes, it can be done, but probably not worth it.
Anyone with a 2013+ NMS Passat can easily confirm or refute this.
Or...get thee to a VW dealer, pop the hood on a Passat, and you'll be able to answer your own questions!

cameron69

Veteran Member
TDI
Here you go. How about searching next time, so all us nice guys out here can do something other than your homework???:D:)

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=385357&highlight=hood+strut
Excuse my intrusion on your life tdiatlast. If you are that busy just move on and keep reading something else. You are not required to answer As my searches did not give me results I was looking for. My questions were already answered before I intruded in your time so your response was obviously just to scold me from not searching or not searching properly as the case may be. next time just move on instead of trying to police forums or just report me to an admin! You are the only one of everyone that contributed that had to scold me in not one but both your posts. Next time leave me out of your efforts to make yourself look so smart and helpful and do something other than my homework!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jeez...dude...chill...I was joking, or don't you understand "emoticons"

I was trying to make a joke, sorry it didn't work...

Oh...and you're welcome for the link, since in fact it does answer all your questions!

So...get out your welder and put the strut under your hood!

cameron69

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea just because you put emojis after 1 of your 2 derogatory comments makes it ok. :rolleyes:
I am very capable of making it happen, if I want it to it will happen. but joking or not you come on and twice make a comment for me to do myself then ad a link that does have the information that had already been posted in the thread so regardless your comments the helpful (which I appreciated) and the not so helpful were really unnecessary.
Thank you for the link and all the laughs!

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
That's the worst thing about texting too, hard to see how something was intended to come across.....
Anyways- I would prefer the rod just because I have worked on my Passat on a windy day and had the hood smash me in the head a couple times. The rod on my Toyota really locks the hood in place both up (over extending) and down so when doing maintenance in the wind or just jump starting someone in a whiteout I know the hood is secure.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
jrm: good point about texting. I guess I'm 2 for 2, trying to keep things lighthearted.

Hood strut vs. the rod: You make a good point about the rod vs. strut. I suppose it all depends on the car's environment. I like the strut, opening the hood with one hand, smooth. Also gives the illusion of "hi-end."

cameron69

Veteran Member
TDI
I dont have a real issue with the rod, I check my oil every time I fuel up, it would be nice to just lift the hood one handed as stated and check my oil and close it without fussing with the rod. I would most certainly not delete the rod as It would be preferable for some circumstances. I would just prefer to have the lift arm as a main source for holding the hood up.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
every time? wow!!! I'm lucky to check ever 5K, so once every 8-12th fill up.

cameron69

Veteran Member
TDI
every time? wow!!! I'm lucky to check ever 5K, so once every 8-12th fill up.
LOL, I got in the habit with my 03 that uses/leaks about a quart and a half every 10k so I kept a close eye on it, plus trying to train my kids to take care of their stuff!

daggert1

TDI
2013 Passat TDI, SE Nav/SR
I have both!

My 2013 model came with a manual hood prop rod, but was built after the mid-year changes that included the firewall update (securing point) for the gas powered strut rod as well did the hood. My guess is they kept using the manual prop rod until that inventory was gone and switched over to the gas rod. It was easy for me to buy the gas powered rod and install it.

It would be major work to retrofit if your car doesn't have the two mounting points already installed, in that case I'd recommend against trying.

Good Luck!

Scott