P2196 O2 sensor rich, no other symptoms/lights

N4TECguy

Veteran Member
TDI
NMS Passat TDI 6MT
43K miles on the car and I popped this code. Scanned it and didn't find any other codes. No other lights on the dash, no loss in power, no unusual noise, no loss in MPG (~1k on it since the light). Should I bother bringing it to the dealer? Is this common?

nncs20

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Mine has the exact problem right now. P2196 code, but no other symptoms. I'm leaning towards just replacing the sensor and clearing the code to see if it fixes the issue.

N4TECguy

Veteran Member
TDI
NMS Passat TDI 6MT
Let me know if it works. I had an appointment with the dealer but just let it pass, it drives fine so I'm going to let it go a bit longer just in case it was a fluke condition.

nncs20

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Will do. Looks like its about a $140 part at Autozone. Any idea the exact location of the sensor? I'm assuming it is the one on the top, cabin side of the engine.

Funny though, happened to both of us within about 4k miles of each other. Seems like it should be a bulletproof part for well over this many miles.

N4TECguy

Veteran Member
TDI
NMS Passat TDI 6MT
Not sure of the exact location but the one you pointed out would make sense. I'd check out a VW sensor for that price. I also have the extended warranty with $250 deductible so I'm not sure if that will cover it.

Is yours a 6M? The funny thing on mine is that the freeze frame showed the code poping up during zero load condition, off throttle engine braking. That almost suggests a stuck injector, which would be odd since I've never run a tank in this car without lubricity additive or B20

nncs20

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Ya I skipped out on the extended warranty so $140 is definitely worth the risk considering that is only ~1 hour of diagnostic time at the dealer.

Mine is a DSG. The first time it happened I was pulling out of the driveway. I've reset it since then and made it about 30 miles to work and then half way home before it turned back on. Hasn't worried me too bad since it seems to have no effect on fuel mileage, performance, or anything really though.

If you are curious, here is my freeze frame:

5120 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1
P2196 00 [237] - Signal too High (Rich)
MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 7
Mileage: 62676 km
Date: 2015.04.11
Time: 10:11:18

N4TECguy

Veteran Member
TDI
NMS Passat TDI 6MT
Here's mine. Guess I should fix it if it's going to recur.

Freeze frame information:
------------------
Engine Load = 0 %
Engine Coolant Temperature = 206.6 °F
Engine RPM = 1,461 rpm
Speed (OBD) = 52.817 mph
Mass Air Flow Rate = 210.08 cfm
Throttle Position(Manifold) = 83.922 %
Run time since engine start = 4,544 s
Barometric pressure (from vehicle) = 14.649 psi
Voltage (Control Module) = 14.4 V
Relative Throttle Position = 99.608 %
Ambient air temp = 71.6 °F
Accelerator PedalPosition D = 14.902 %
Accelerator PedalPosition E = 14.902 %

End of report.

nncs20

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Huh, guess I missed some of the data when I pulled mine fro VCDS. I'm still new to using the software so I'll have to try again.

Anyway, I am going to try and replace mine tomorrow. O'Reilly had one at their warehouse they can get by noon tomorrow so I'll replace it, clear the code, and report back. Probably should give it a good couple days of driving though to make sure it really resolved the issue.

nncs20

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Ah that could be it. So here is a quick shot of the sensor I'm thinking of (towards the left, grey coil cord thing):

And the plug I'm assuming is one of these three:

Last edited:

nncs20

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Just got done replacing the O2 sensor. It was a pretty easy job overall considering it is right on top. I have driven it about 25 miles since putting it in and no check engine light so far! I'll believe it if it makes it a week without coming back on.

Here is the new vs old:

Last edited:

only_1

TDI
2013 Passat SE
MRCTDI thanks for confirming it fixed the problem. My passat has 44,500 miles on it, and I just got the same code 2 days ago. Its odd they are failing so early. I wonder if its just a bad batch of sensors?

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
FYI, I'm noticing a very strong connection between fuel additives and 02 sensor failures.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
or maybe bio % too, cant ya just do the "gasser" O2 sensor trick of carb cleaner and a wire wheel and toss it back in? :D

only_1

TDI
2013 Passat SE
I am the original owner of this Passat, and got it with about 6 miles on it. I have not run any additive. However, most MN fuel has some allowable percentage of bio fuel at the pump.

N4TECguy

Veteran Member
TDI
NMS Passat TDI 6MT
FYI, I'm noticing a very strong connection between fuel additives and 02 sensor failures.
Sorry, did not notice this here until now. Any elaboration on this? I can see it as plausible, would just like to hear a bit more on your thoughts and observations. I do run Opti-Lube with every tank, XPD at first and moved on to XL at high dosages. I have run maybe 3 tanks of normal bio mix from Pilot (ie. not specialty mixes or specially advertised as B20), and one or two tanks of B20 from stations advertising as such.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I, too, am interested in your thoughts on this. "Fuel additives" covers a very broad area, right?
Is this just a gut feeling, or do you have some numbers (even casual ones!) to back up your claim?
Thanks.;)

1alfie

TDI
2015 Passat Highline
My check engine light went on about an hour ago. Have had absolutely no issues with this car which has a little less than 50,000kms on it. The car runs the same now as it did before the light appeared. As it's under warranty, I'm going to let the dealer sort it out.

Jason B.

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I have a new sensor ordered. I'm going to swap it this weekend. We bought this car new. It's an Alabama car. I don't know about bio, but we've never run additives. Sensor failed under 50,000 miles.

Sinner

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I have a 2014 Passat with DSG, and P2196 came up after just 35,000 miles.

July 11, 1:12 PM
O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich
Bank 1 Sensor 1

I only used additive when here on NC we had 8F-20F temperatures , and our fuel has no winter additives.

The car runs great, getting high MPG as usual (I've run +500 miles with that CEL).

As I'm too busy driving, I haven't contacted the dealer. I might just change it myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dcwhybrew

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I had my O2 sensor replaced after a P2196 code. 84k miles. No fuel additives. Unfortunately I should have found instructions for fixing it myself. It cost me $450 to have it repaired.