Possibly stupid question - Salvaged fender?

ajfd

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Not really a Passat specific question, but I never had to deal with this before.

DW comes home to tell me that someone backed into her 2012 TDI SEL while she was waiting to pull into a parking spot. It dented the driver's front fender (and amazingly that was it).

Auto body shop quoted $600 to undent and touch up paint. I know a new primed fender is $175ish, but was recommended against that since the paint work would cost more than the repair.

Is there a place to go to search for salvaged parts? Figured it was too new of a model for a junk yard, but maybe that is just my ignorance. Didn't know if there was some web or phone resource I could query to try and get a relatively undamaged piece off an otherwise totaled car (eg, rear end or side damage)

Thanks.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
The odds of you finding a 2012 Passat that was totaled out and has intact front fenders is minimal. If it were me...I'd just pay the $600 to have a good shop do the body work. I'd make for damn sure that it's a good shop though. If they screw up the paint (I've been there), it'll look like crap. Just my $.02...

This search engine supposedly links in sources from junk yards (I've seen it brought up in the past).

http://www.car-part.com/

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I have used car-part with very good luck in the past. I found a black fender for my Golf within 60 miles for $100. In that case, I wanted an old fender to match an old paint job. Depending on your color, a respray shouldn't be noticeable.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Car-Part is showing the following fenders available cross-country between $35 to $177 (before shipping): Black, Silver, White, Blue, Grey.

So a good chance you could find one.

ajfd

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Thanks for the replies. I'll check out car-part.com and if nothing comes up in the near future, I'll move on the auto body work.

migbro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL
Is there a place to go to search for salvaged parts? Figured it was too new of a model for a junk yard, but maybe that is just my ignorance. Didn't know if there was some web or phone resource I could query to try and get a relatively undamaged piece off an otherwise totaled car (eg, rear end or side damage).
I've done this exact thing. You will be able to find the fender you need in your color at car-part.com. Eventually.

The problem is it will take a while until you find one close enough for you to go look at it before you buy. If you get one shipped you will invariably be disappointed by what shows up.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun