Boost Gauge from ID Parts (Adapter)

Cosmo_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI Sport CL
I just found this on their website. I have a 2012 Passat and wondering if anyone has ordered this? It seems like a nice little part to install without much work since it mounts right on the upper hose.

Any comments or any feedback? Was thinking to order it, being in Canada shipping may be more than the part is worth, so wanted to know before ordering it.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=99&products_id=1230

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Why? What purpose would a boost gauge serve you on a stock Passat?

You'd sure as hell know, even without a gauge if your car was failing to provide boost (engine would be wildly sluggish through the powerband). And with the stock turbocharger and an unchipped ECU, there is no risk of over-pressure.

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Why? What purpose would a boost gauge serve you on a stock Passat?

You'd sure as hell know, even without a gauge if your car was failing to provide boost (engine would be wildly sluggish through the powerband). And with the stock turbocharger and an unchipped ECU, there is no risk of over-pressure.

Gauges can show smaller boost issues before they become large issues - they aren't a BAD idea

Cosmo_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI Sport CL
It just one of those things. Yes like to see what is going on. Since the SGII cannot read the MAP pressure I have no real signs of anything.

I am considering getting a Malone tune, not sure if 1, 1.5 or 2 yet. I am in the draw for it, so one never knows I may end up getting it sooner than planned.

I find the gauge just one of those means to monitor something before it gets out of control. Just not sure if this adapter will work or not?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Let's not let this thread degenerate into a discussion of the benefits of boost gauges. Does anybody actually know the answer to the OP's original question? Does anybody know much about this IDParts Boost gauge adapter? How and where does it mount? How does it work? Would it work in a NMS (Passat)? Some on topic replies would be nice to see. I have been curious about this adapter too (for a Jetta), but from the picture I do not really understand how it would be installed and used. Thanks.

Have Fun!

Don

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
BTW higher boost at idle is another easy way to determin if it's going through a regen.

seat belts aren't really functional or needed 99% of the time but still nice to have!

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
OP, I suggest phoning IDparts. One of their staff members drives a Passat and they should be able to definitively answer your question.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
I'm guessing, based on the part's description, that you have to have a drilled & tapped intake to accept this part? Or is there a place to put this in a stock intake manifold / pipe?

Cosmo_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI Sport CL
I'm guessing, based on the part's description, that you have to have a drilled & tapped intake to accept this part? Or is there a place to put this in a stock intake manifold / pipe?
That’s what I was wondering myself. I just thought some others may have done a boost gauge and knew. I can contact them, once I learn something I will let everyone know.

My older 2005 Golf we had to make a spot and tap a hole. Might be the same on the Passat, just would have been pretty easy if there was a spot this fit into natively.

-Anthony

03Springer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL+ 2013 A3 TDI
I have on of those on my 03 Golf. A hole must be drilled on the intercooler pipe before the EGR valve then this is screwed into the tapped hole. A small diameter rigid hose then is inserted into the green plastic piece which clamps it so it stays put. Then the other end of the hose is attached to the gauge. This works but for some more money a P3CARS multi gauge is plug and play and you can monitor so much more.

Cosmo_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI Sport CL
I have the SGII and it can no longer read the MAP as it sends information out in milipascals (I think thats the right term?) and not PSI, so it cannot read it. I love the SGII, so I do not think I can have both the SGII and the P3CARS work at the same time?

But does the P3CARS one actaully read the boost properly on the 2012 Passat?

-Anthony

Cosmo_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI Sport CL
That is a cool setup. I thought I remembered seeing a photo of that setup. I checked out the link and video, I sent an e-mail over to that company as I may get this for the inside (I also dislike that clock). No idea why VW put 3 clocks in the car? Dash, Radio and the analog (this is what I remember seeing in the 300's from Chrysler).

-Anthony

Sti581

TDI
2016 A6 TDI Prestige S-line
So whatever happened to this thread? I am wanting to install the new south boost gauge and I can't seem to find a mount location for it or anyone that makes a mounting kit. As well as where to tap for boost source on the engine. Any ideas?

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I think most people are finding alternate solutions, like and Android device with Torque Pro and a bluetooth OBDII adapter.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
^^ many of us have gone with digital instrumentation because you get a lot more info in one spot than you can with a single analog gauge.

buddy4406

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I think most people are finding alternate solutions, like and Android device with Torque Pro and a bluetooth OBDII adapter.
I did this today and love it. Installed the app on my Samsung Mega phone and I can get 8 good size gauges on 1 screen. I also bought a
Mountek Universal CD Slot Car Mount for Cell Phones.

Got it on ebay new in open box for $17.50 and a

Mini ELM327 V1.5 OBD2 OBDII Bluetooth Car Auto Diagnostic Interface Scanner

for $11.98 what a great combo now.