New Upgraded Battery Cables

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Weird, I just measured my starter cable and it is about 14.5" - 15"
I suppose it doesn't matter as long as it's long enough to reach, but not so long that it's getting in the way.
I think he's using braided cabled now instead of solid, so bending it into shape shouldn't be overly difficult.

My in-laws are back about the 10th of April, so I still have a bit of waiting to do.

Hey, (this is a general question to all)...
Does anyone know why disconnecting the battery resolves the odd electrical issues for a while.
You would think that if there was a bad ground that the problem would be constant. But instead, disconnecting the battery fixes the symptoms for a while. Mine start to come back about every two weeks now.
...I'm really looking forward to getting the new cables.:)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I suppose it doesn't matter as long as it's long enough to reach, but not so long that it's getting in the way.
I think he's using braided cabled now instead of solid, so bending it into shape shouldn't be overly difficult.

My in-laws are back about the 10th of April, so I still have a bit of waiting to do.

Hey, (this is a general question to all)...
Does anyone know why disconnecting the battery resolves the odd electrical issues for a while.
You would think that if there was a bad ground that the problem would be constant. But instead, disconnecting the battery fixes the symptoms for a while. Mine start to come back about every two weeks now.
...I'm really looking forward to getting the new cables.:)
I contacted Gary and told him so he added the 15" option to the TDI package. Many posts in this thread said they had found the 19" too long and hard to put in position.

Disconnecting the battery clears all volatile memory so if there is a bad setting there it disappears and everything is hunky-dory when the battery is reconnected. Have you run a VCDS scan when you are having the problem?

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Mine was just under 19" so it should hopefully be okay.:)

I wouldn't think that clearing the volatile memory would resolve the electrical issues.
eg. When the issue is happening, if you brake, turn on the signals, open or close the door locks, play with the windows, turn the seat heater on or off, etc. Any lights that are on dim for a second. This would seem to be outside of the ECU or CCMs influence. ...right?

The ECU shows different issues from time to time for this problem.
Terminal 30 issue
ABS issue
Intermittent electrical faults.
(And I've looked into all of those over the years, doing a lot of work that probably didn't need to be done.) :(

It all depends on how long I let the problem continue. The problem gets worse over time.
Disconnecting the battery solves it....for a while. If I clear the codes, nothing new gets logged until the problems starts coming back.

After disconnecting the battery, the problem is reset, and everything is back to 100%. But after about 2 weeks the problem starts to show up again, and gradually gets worse over time. The lights dimming a bit when any new load is put on is the first sign. Maybe the radio has some extra static. After a few more days a few minutes after first driving the car in the morning there might be a major dip in the power for a second (lights almost going out not just dimming) followed immediately by three beeps. (This is usually when I get the ABS error) After another week or two I might start having issues locking or unlocking the doors. etc etc.
But I disconnect the battery, and all the problems are totally gone. Like the grounding issue doesn't exist.
Rinse and repeat.

It's totally a grounding issue. And these symptoms and the temporary fix are common among different brands of vehicles. I just don't understand why disconnecting the battery seems to fix it for a while. You would think that as long as the grounding issue exists that the problems would be constant. :confused:

I'm just curious why this is.

PS: When I replace those cables, I'll be giving that ground under the windshield another look too. (It's been years since I last had a go at that one. I'll be giving it some extra TLC this time to help protect it going forward.)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Mine was just under 19" so it should hopefully be okay.:)

I wouldn't think that clearing the volatile memory would resolve the electrical issues.
eg. When the issue is happening, if you brake, turn on the signals, open or close the door locks, play with the windows, turn the seat heater on or off, etc. Any lights that are on dim for a second. This would seem to be outside of the ECU or CCMs influence. ...right?

The ECU shows different issues from time to time for this problem.
Terminal 30 issue
ABS issue
Intermittent electrical faults.
(And I've looked into all of those over the years, doing a lot of work that probably didn't need to be done.) :(

It all depends on how long I let the problem continue. The problem gets worse over time.
Disconnecting the battery solves it....for a while. If I clear the codes, nothing new gets logged until the problems starts coming back.

After disconnecting the battery, the problem is reset, and everything is back to 100%. But after about 2 weeks the problem starts to show up again, and gradually gets worse over time. The lights dimming a bit when any new load is put on is the first sign. Maybe the radio has some extra static. After a few more days a few minutes after first driving the car in the morning there might be a major dip in the power for a second (lights almost going out not just dimming) followed immediately by three beeps. (This is usually when I get the ABS error) After another week or two I might start having issues locking or unlocking the doors. etc etc.
But I disconnect the battery, and all the problems are totally gone. Like the grounding issue doesn't exist.
Rinse and repeat.

It's totally a grounding issue. And these symptoms and the temporary fix are common among different brands of vehicles. I just don't understand why disconnecting the battery seems to fix it for a while. You would think that as long as the grounding issue exists that the problems would be constant. :confused:

I'm just curious why this is.

PS: When I replace those cables, I'll be giving that ground under the windshield another look too. (It's been years since I last had a go at that one. I'll be giving it some extra TLC this time to help protect it going forward.)
But if you've already checked the ground connections, perhaps there is a broken wire inside a wire loom?

To make sure that it isn't the battery terminal/cable connection, use a terminal brush to get both the lead terminal and cable connector inside nice and shiny. Next apply a good coat of dielectric grease to the terminal and connector, then make sure to tighten the connector very tight on the terminal. If the problem was terminal/cable corrosion, the fault should NOT return. Also it is a good idea to do the positive connection at the same time.

At the various chassis grounds besides cleaning both connector and ground points to bare metal, use a wire bush on the bolt threads, then use dielectric grease on them along with the connector (top & bottom).

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Also, you might check your alternator output for spikes, if the new battery cables don't fix the issues.

I agree with cleaning the grounds, both under the battery tray (all 3 or 4) and in the windshield plenum, where the grounds for the ECU are located.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Yep, the alternator is new, and the battery is also fairly new. The both terminals are and have always been very clean and tight. :)

I'm pretty sure that the problem is in the main cables. Which will be replaced as soon as I receive the new ones.

For the heck of it I rechecked the grounds under the windshield this weekend. Been a few years since I was last in there.
The dam windshield wipers were a PITA to remove...were stuck on there but good. I was worried that I'd break them, but I got them off.
I cleaned the cabin filter too....and found a screwdriver in there next to it...not one of mine. :mad:

I put dielectric grease on most electrical connections that I work on. Oddly the ground didn't have any on it, although I'm sure that I cleaned that one a few years back. There was a bit of corrosion on one of the wires. I cleaned them all, put it back together, painted it, and put grease over that.
I also checked the connections on the ECU. Still as clean as ever. Although the locking mechanism of one the connections wasn't snapped on all the way. I found that some of that cloth-like insulation wrapping that they wrap the bundles of wires with was in the way. Probably wasn't a problem, but all good now.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
I picked up the cables from the in-laws last weekend. And started doing the work today.
Taking my time to clean everything up good. I'm using a dremel with various wire polishing brushes to clean the connections, and Isopropyl alcohol too.

Just taking a break for some food. :)

Oh, the instructions still mention connecting the 8 gauge ground cable to a spot on the cylinder head. Except there is no 8 gauge ground cable included in the TDI cable set. Apparently this is included with kits for cars with spark plugs, which the TDIs don't use. So not a problem. But just FYI if anyone gets these cables and is wondering what that instruction is talking about.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
So the new cables are now in the car.

I cleaned and maintained the three ground connections under the battery, the battery terminals, the fuse box connections (the box on top of the battery), and anywhere the cables connected.

As others have mentioned the car starts really fast now. It always did start really well, but now it starts the "instant" that the key is turned. The radio sounds better too.

Hopefully this resolves that reoccurring grounding issue.

I also cleared the ECU codes. Had one for an ABS electrical issue...likely related to the ground issues, and one for the Airbag that was related to my having the seats out the other week for reupholstering.

The only issues with installing the new cables were:

There is a little plastic cover that covers the starter cable connection on the starter, that no longer fits 100%. I used some silicon on it to help hold it on. Just nice to keep that connection clean if I can.

The negative connection at the battery was a bit of a pain to position so it connects, but it wasn't too bad.

I'm feeling pretty good about this upgrade. :)

Edit: First time out since upgrading the cables this morning on the way to work. I noticed that the headlights seem brighter than usual. I'm starting to think that this upgrade is a must have for all MKIV owners.

Last edited:
TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Beaulah ? The op Got Bearings has long since stopped posting. His friend Gary that made these cables has fallen knee deep into life's issues and non of them are pleasant. He says he still makes cables when he is physically capable of doing so (bad back). His website innovativewiring lapsed and may not be available to him again. Best to contact him through: cruisingitnow at gmail.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Not the same, but I stumbled on Clusters by Litke in gmenouous' kw1281 thread and (besides cool cluster and interior items) Litke has upgraded MkIV alt to fuse box cables:

It would be great of someone was making cables like those originally posted.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
I made a post asking about terminal ends to make my own cable. I subsequently purchased from vw 1J0971349gn for a tidy sum. The alternator to battery cable was an exact fit, the harness connecting to the ac compressor was about 3" too short and required some magic. I also purchased https://www.ebay.com/itm/183972208451 for about half the vw price. Put the two next to each other and you couldn't tell the difference. I've ordered some connectors from overseas and I'll report the results when I get them.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i just clean up and re-use the OEM ends. you can drill out the main crimped wire and even tap that hole, or just put a bolt thru it with a nut. use a cheap hydraulic crimper and some new big lug ends and make all the nice new battery cables you want :)

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
i just clean up and re-use the OEM ends. you can drill out the main crimped wire and even tap that hole, or just put a bolt thru it with a nut. use a cheap hydraulic crimper and some new big lug ends and make all the nice new battery cables you want :)

I like that idea, I did 2/0 on my golf and drilled the old wire out and then cut it and expanded then soldered the 2/0 wire in with some good quality solder. I didn't like it so much, but I wanted to have the oem style clamps still. Next time I'll do that way.

Turboedtwo

TDI
80 Caddy / 00 NB / 16 Touareg / 14 JSW
I wound up buying 2ga battery cable and 3/8” copper ends and making my own but just piggybacking on the original cables instead of replacing them. Haven’t had any electrical hiccups when hitting bumps yet.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Beaulah ? The op Got Bearings has long since stopped posting. His friend Gary that made these cables has fallen knee deep into life's issues and non of them are pleasant. He says he still makes cables when he is physically capable of doing so (bad back). His website innovativewiring lapsed and may not be available to him again. Best to contact him through: cruisingitnow at gmail.
That sucks. The cable I got from him is insane. He did an incredible job. It'll likely outlast the car.

But if nothing else, it's really good to know the issues that ground cable can cause. I remember that being really irritating and difficult to troubleshoot.

By the way, years later now and I haven't had a repeat of any of the electrical issues since replacing that cable. Some of the best money I've spent on that car.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Just wanted to second above saying that these cables are really impressive and transform starting on these cars from I’m sure it will start to a COMMAND to instantly start. Best of wishes to all involved.