5spd swap, now weird ground issue

Rick03TDI

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
I just preformed the swap in my 03 TDI with a 02J 5spd, initially I could not get it to start did not even try. I pulled the starter and it checked fine, but in the car would not work, safety switch and solenoid all have proper voltage and function. What I found was it did not have enough ground, I added a 10g wire from the starter mounting bolt to the neg battery and it fired right up.

I had not seen any ground issues mentioned in the many threads I read about the swap, what did I miss? Im going to upgrade to a 2 or 4 gauge wire as after driving it still doesn't want to start but will jump just fine. New battery in the car as well, no charging lights on either.

Thanks In Advance.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Well you have 2 or 3 under the battery and one on top of the transmission near the block, near the starter. Could be connections or bad wire.

Rick03TDI

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
Well you have 2 or 3 under the battery and one on top of the transmission near the block, near the starter. Could be connections or bad wire.
I don't remember removing any, but Ill give it another look...unless it was done by the previous owner. However I had no issues when the auto was in place.

Im loving the 5spd

Thanks!

Rick03TDI

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
Not sure how in the hell I missed it but I did :eek:, I tucked it up with the coolant hoses when I pulled everything out for the swap. Hooked it back up, bam starts perfect.

Thanks guys!