Cylinder Head Damage

toddster900

TDI
2003 GT TDI
Hi All

I have recently been using about half a pint of water every 500 miles on my 03 Mk4 Golf TDI 130. The coolant is also overpressurising and has tested positive for combustion gasses. As a result I am in the process of changing the head gasket.

I now have the head removed and there are very slight ridges on the head along the circular outline of the cylinder bore. The ridges seem to be metal rather than carbon. It is not all the way roun the outline but is present in parts on all cylinders.

Apart from that the cylinder and block look in good condition considering the 210k miles it has done.

Has anyone seen these ridges before?

Thanks

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Pulling the cam, lifters and valves is trivial on these engines and having it
skimmed sounds like a good idea for a leaker.
If I had the head off (and I have), I would get it tanked and LAP the seats, too.

Don't remember about the ridges.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Can you post pictures?

toddster900

TDI
2003 GT TDI
You wouldn't see them they are so slight. Especially now I have cleaned it up.

I'm starting to think it was carbon as a friend has just said he has taken of carbon buildups that looked metallic in the past.

toddster900

TDI
2003 GT TDI
Just been out to try and get some pictures but it's no use in this light. Maybe tomorrow when it's light again. The ridges are very small. You can feel them with your finger nail but not the skin of your finger tip.