2016 Passat, Jetta hybrid test drive yesterday

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
Weighing my options and looking at new VW's I drove a new Passat and Jetta hybrid yesterday.
One key requirement for me is that my long rod and gun cases fit in the car with the seats folded down. The Passat, Sportwagen and Jetta were no problem. The Tiguan failed by about 6 inches.
The new RNS-510 is a vast improvement over the system in my 2013 SEL for sure. 1.8 L gasser would cost me about 10 mpg compared to the TDI. I missed the TDI low end torque. Liked the LED light upgrade.
The R model also had some cool trim features.
The Jetta Hybrid comes closest to matching the TDI MPG. The only trim level is an SEL so the Passat and Jetta had the same options. Compared to Prius's I have rented, the Jetta drives more like a car than a hybrid. Seats are lot more comfortable in the Jetta than the Prius at least for my butt. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Jetta hybrid. The brakes felt a bit different. As of yesterday the Hybrid was about $28K.
I confirmed my opinion that the Passat drives like a smaller car than it is.
Both cars were very quiet and refined IMHO. We will see what VW has to offer in July? August?

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Now the wait game. I am going to test drive a few VW's tomorrow in hopes that they will offer incentives on top of the judgment to keep customers.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
My concern about the Jetta Hybrid is service/maintenance. How many real "techs" will VWoA have in the field?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
My concern about the Jetta Hybrid is service/maintenance. How many real "techs" will VWoA have in the field?
That was my concern with the e-Golf, as well. Based on things posted on the e-Golf forums, the concern is valid. Additionally, parts supply for the high voltage components can take a while, since it is all shipped from Europe with little to no US inventory.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Wanted an eGolf, but they're not even in Texas yet. Ended up with a 2015 LeafS, 6700miles, mint, for $14.5k.

Fits our needs exactly: Passat for highway miles at 48mpg+, Leaf for local needs...at 1.2cents per mile (fuel cost only), 100% wind power generated. Honest range of 90miles, city...highway around 70 miles.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
If both the Jetta and Passat you drive were 2016 models, the radio was not the RNS-510. They both have completely different radio/navigation units compared to the 2015 and earlier cars.

The radio was one major reason I bought my Passat instead of a Jetta Hybrid at the time. The RNS-510, even with its issues, was a far better radio than the RNS-315 in the Jetta. Since the Hybrid offers specific information in the display, I couldn't swap them between the two.

If I were forced to replace my Passat today (instead of waiting for the buyback offer), the Jetta Hybrid would be tempting. The loss of some trunk space to the battery is an issue of course, as well as interior size. However, I really want to get back into something similar to the Tiguan I had. I'll be waiting to see what the upcoming model built in Tennessee will be like, as well as the refreshed Tiguan they are going to build in Mexico. Either option should be priced better than the ones that have to be imported from Europe, and I'm hoping one of them offers either diesel or hybrid power. Right now, diesel power doesn't look promising...

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
Hybrid Techs

My dealership has one tech checked out on the hybrid. "some"parts are in stock the rest have to be ordered from Dallas.

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I find the 1.8 a pretty decent engine. Makes torque over a broad range (like most GTDI these days) and has decent hp.

I test drove a GTI manual. I want one for a DD, the loss of MPG is worth it for me IMO.

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
Incentives

Now the wait game. I am going to test drive a few VW's tomorrow in hopes that they will offer incentives on top of the judgment to keep customers.
Rumor yesterday was that there will be incentives to buy a new VW. Still questions about whether or not my '13 can be "fixed". IMHO, nothing is "broken" since there is not emissions test in Texas.

JimGarb

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Premium w/Nav
I too started looking at my possibilities.

I went to a VW dealership about 70 miles from my place because they were the only dealership to have a Jetta Hybrid available. I test drove it and thoroughly enjoyed it. The handling was great, the acceleration was impressive and the DSG handled the gear shifts perfectly. My wife hated the fact that there was less trunk space and there's no Fender Premium audio package available. We're spoiled in our '14 TDI Premium w/nav DSG.

I also test drove a Jetta GLI. Hated it. Too loud. I also didn't like the Premium gas requirement for such a low fuel economy.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I look forward to the 2016 TDI SEL's being discounted- I will give the wife the new ride and replace my civic with her 2013

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLI

I too started looking at my possibilities.

I went to a VW dealership about 70 miles from my place because they were the only dealership to have a Jetta Hybrid available. I test drove it and thoroughly enjoyed it. The handling was great, the acceleration was impressive and the DSG handled the gear shifts perfectly. My wife hated the fact that there was less trunk space and there's no Fender Premium audio package available. We're spoiled in our '14 TDI Premium w/nav DSG.

I also test drove a Jetta GLI. Hated it. Too loud. I also didn't like the Premium gas requirement for such a low fuel economy.
I was back at the dealer today to get the grill replaced after their tech cracked it last month. Drove a red GLI, agree, it is much louder and not for me.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I owned a 2013 Jetta Hybrid SEL Premium Feb 2013-Feb 2015, sold it last year to buy my 2015 JETTA SEL TDI, Resale was Horrendous took a huge beating on it...
I liked it Didn't Love it!! My Overall Average MPH was 38.5 which although not what VW said it would be I did not HYPERMILE........and the lifetime average was over 5 MPG higher than 2010 Sportwagen was TDI was!!! another reason I liked it was the AFS Hids, LED Tails, Climatronic, Back up Camera, Love the wheels and the independent rear suspension which up until the 2013s you couldn't get on a TDI......And most of these you still can't ! I liked the 1.4 Motor a lot and the electric motor complemented it well! and the 7 speed DSG was great!! what I didn't like was the loss of trunk space and the smallish gas tank and the need for premium fuel...but it was the only Hybrid I would ever consider buying!
That said my 2015 Jetta SEL TDI is an amazingly fun and great car to drive!!

razorrod

TDI
Passat SEL
I think all hybrids is half of car, and cost too much for the margin mpg improvement.
It should either full electric or just fuel car.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I don't see how some people regard the Jetta (in any form) and the Passat as comparable. I can drive a Jetta, but the Passat is so much roomier that there's no comparison. (NB: I'm 6'6", 285 lbs.)

kulak

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat NMS
Agree. I'm 6'4 and while I can drive the Jetta or Golf it makes the back seat completely unusable.

Itzed

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Agree. I'm 6'4 and while I can drive the Jetta or Golf it makes the back seat completely unusable.
And please welcome us all to the "Passat owners well over 6' club". At 6'5, I love the room and ride in my Passat. Im anxious to hear the details of the settlement and hope it's enticing enough to allow me to keep my car.