2012 needs new struts recommendations please

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I went with Bilstein HDs thanks to VW's loyalty money. Also added a H&R rear bar. Much improved ride and handling. Now waiting for this emission decision so I can get a Malone tune.

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
Even if I paid for labor to replace shocks, it's still going to be a $564 difference
Heh, I was thinking of fronts only - are the rears the same struts too? Too bad if so. It begins to add up...

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
jjblbi: NJ? It's a big state. Where do you drive? How much new harshness from the HD/S6 Yellow Bilsteins?
Thanks. We've got horrible broken/heaving concrete, large-aggregate surfaces, in the DFW area. I don't like the porpoising of the OEM set-up (approaching 50k miles), but I don't want to make the ride so harsh that the car develops rattles (currently rattle-free).
Thanks.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Tdiatlast: I commute from the coast ~30 miles north of AC to Phila each day, 140 miles round trip. Changed struts and shocks at 75k miles due to float. Ride is firm not harsh. I have used Koni once and Bilstein on all my cars, worth the cost and last the life of the vehicle.

Maybe someone local to you could provide a demo? If you can get near Phila or AC you are welcome to test mine.

Good luck, John

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Thanks. Gotta deal with some minor hail damage first...all 3 cars...yupp..."welcome to Texas"!!!

Brad95

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE Manual since 09/28/12-04/05/18, 2015 Passat TDI SE Manual Since 03/29/2018
Bilsteins are very popular around here - I've put them in almost all of my cars and been extremely happy with them. I've only had one customer complain that I can remember about the ride, and I've probably gone through 5,000 kits or so over the years...

HD's in my humble opinion are worth the extra money over the standard TC's.
-BB
do Bilstein B6 Shocks comes with new boots and other misc or need to buy separate?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
couldn't you transfer the old ones over to the new ones? or they won't fit? That's what I did when i did my rears with B4s

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
The KONI sport adjustable struts and shocks are a fit for the NMS Passat. I would contact them as they are still working on a listing for them. So far I'm very happy with them. I have them adjusted fully firm. Definitely less body roll but they aren't too harsh even at full firmness. Fully soft they are similar to OE performance if I account for the 100k of wear on my originals. I would definitely recommend them. I didn't realize how spongy my struts had become over time