Winter wheels and tires

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Just picked up some 5x112 16"s steelies with VW hubcaps for $130. Very happy.

The hubcaps were a bonus that he didn't mention.

Now I'm off to town fair tire website to pick something out.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Just wanted to add a comment. I am running a set of Jetta wheels, 16". They clear the brake calipers just fine . I did try a test fitment with cable chains and found the clearance between the cable and the strut tower to be too close for comfort (3/8s").
So, I think wheel spacers would fix this problem and I figure around 5/8s off set would be fine.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Got the snow tires installed tonight. Went with 16" momo winter 2 black rims and General Altimax Arctic 215/60/16's. They barely fit over the calipers, but they fit.

drcoopster

Veteran Member
TDI
EcoDiesel
VW hubcaps
Excellent thought, I also just found a set of hubcaps on Craigslist the other day. Seems as though they're a lot easier to find up here in New England than home down in Texas. It really helps the look a lot.

From yesterday morning, somewhere around Keene, NH:

Last edited:

drcoopster

Veteran Member
TDI
EcoDiesel
If you left the wheel covers off you'd look Canadian. :D
I drove up into Montreal this past weekend and when I came back, all of the wheel covers were surprisingly still present and accounted for. :p

Just rolled over 15,000 miles yesterday, less than 3.5 months from new. Zero issues.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
maybe, but the lady of the house isn't.

First snow of the season. Snow tires are out in the driveway, sitting next to the car, since Saturday. I think maybe I'm doing it wrong...

Last edited:

drcoopster

Veteran Member
TDI
EcoDiesel
Montreal isn't Canada.....they're their own special little "country". :rolleyes:
Regards
Haha. I totally agree. It was my first trip into Quebec and it's completely different than the other provinces the rest of the country.

Last edited:

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got some 16" rims and some Altimax Artics sized 225/60/R16 - boy those look big to me, but tire rack says that they are an acceptable winter 16" option. Off to drop them at the local tire shop to hope the crack tire jockey doesn't mess it up.

drcoopster

Veteran Member
TDI
EcoDiesel
Got some 16" rims and some Altimax Artics sized 225/60/R16 - boy those look big to me, but tire rack says that they are an acceptable winter 16" option. Off to drop them at the local tire shop to hope the crack tire jockey doesn't mess it up.
They are big, but should still fit. The OEM size is 215/60 on the 16" wheels.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
These showed up for the Golf on Friday.

Michelin X-Ice. I have Conti Extreme Winter Contacts on the wagon and love them but for some reason they weren't available on Tire Rack. I've heard great reviews of these, cevans has a set on his A4 Golf and loves them. I have some OE steelies from a 2.5L Golf.

Of course that may mean I will have to drive the Golf in the snow. Haven't done that yet.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Yeah, I went with the 215/60/16's for my Altimax Arctics. Narrower tires are better in the snow.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, I went with the 215/60/16's for my Altimax Arctics. Narrower tires are better in the snow.
I craigslisted the whole deal so I spent a total of $500 all in for basically new tires on VW 16" rims. Had to take what was available for sale.