Do all American Passat TDIs have the CKRA engine?

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
I was requesting some information from "VW Parts Department" online about the DPF for the Passat, and they replied saying,

"There are two different part numbers available though, depending on what engine code is in the 2012 / 2013 Passat. It could be CFFB or CKRA engine code."

So, I was under the impression all American Passat TDIs had the CKRA engine, but I could be wrong. Do any of the 2012/13 Passats have this CFFB engine, and how is it different from the CKRA engine? How can one tell which one a Passat has?

Thanks!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
CFFB never made it here - all US and Canadian Passats get the CKRA, which is a similar design, but with an air-to-water intercooler, which solves the icing problem that the CJAA and CBEA engines have.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
And urea, with a slightly more spunky stock tune since it will tolerate more aggressive fuel curve without exceeding NOx. It's faster!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
My humble guess - they tried to get the CFFB engine to work in the Passat - no urea. They couldn't make it work, so they wend with the CKRA. That's why the adblue fill is in such a lousy spot.

-J