Long Term Storage

BadgerMan

TDI
NB 2003 Silver
There is a chance I might be deployed for 18 months and was wonder if I should just sell my 03 NB TDI and buy a new improved version on my return, store it, or have the wife drive it occasionally and keep it in the garage. If I do store it is there anything special I should do to the car before I put it away?

Any help would be appreciated.

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
First, Thanks for answering the call of duty. Usage is the best bet by far. Be sure it gets fully warmed when it is run, avoid the 1 mile trips. If you have to store it, use fuel stabilizer for diesel fuel. (available at marine supply stores for one)Be sure and drive it 20 miles to be sure the stabilizer gets into the pump and injectors. Charge the battery with this www.batterytender.com and take steps to prevent rodent damage. Steel wool in the exhaust pipes, etc. Change the oil before storing it. Good luck. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Treat the fuel system with a bioguard agent . Run the car for a period after you treat the fuel with a bioguard agent to make sure the entire system is treated .

And fill the fuel tank completely with treated fuel , a cetane booster then run the car to make sure the treated fuel is everywhere .

If you don't mold will grow in the fuel system and shut you down when are ready to use the car again .