Air Conditioner Service - Air Temperature Measurements

neilcaruana

TDI
VW Golf MK4 TDI 110
Hi Guys,

Yesterday I have serviced my Car AC, this was done with an automated AC machine which checked for gas leaks, cleaned the system, replaced oil and filled the system with 134a gas. Everything went fine and the AC was working again we then measured the output air temperature which was reading 10-12 degrees at idle. After that I went for a 5 minute drive we check it again and it measured at 7-8 degrees after it was back on idle it was back to 11-12.

To give a small background I got the car from the UK (I live in Malta) and the AC was not working at all and I don't know when it was last used, this was due it was empty from gas and the compressor was not kicking in for obvious reasons.

Are these air temperature within normal standards ?

Your feedback would be of great use. Thanks. :)

nate379

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta
I don't think I have EVER head of a car A/C blowing that cold! Should be somewhere around 40*

nate379

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta
What outdoor temp? Output temp of A/C all depends on that. Good rule of thumb is about 40* lower than ambient... though of course if it's -20* out it's not going to make -60 air con in the car :D

neilcaruana

TDI
VW Golf MK4 TDI 110
What outdoor temp? Output temp of A/C all depends on that. Good rule of thumb is about 40* lower than ambient... though of course if it's -20* out it's not going to make -60 air con in the car :D
Outdoor temp is .. 68 degrees Fahrenheit

nate379

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta
Output should be somewhere near 1* C then. 12* C, ~55*F... something isn't working right.

neilcaruana

TDI
VW Golf MK4 TDI 110
Output should be somewhere near 1* C then. 12* C, ~55*F... something isn't working right.
When i went to service the AC I was told that an output of 44 degrees Fahrenheit is acceptable. 1* C is a bit too low I think :confused: