Just put a deposit down!

brent_strong

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Found a car with the options and color I wanted only a few hours away from home, so I worked on the price a bit and put down a deposit.

It's an SE w/sunroof in Night Blue and Titan Black. I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

Any tips, tricks, break-in info or anything else fun I might want to know for the ~6 hour drive home?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Read Drivbiwires break-in procedure...sorry I don't have a link...I would also recommend making certain your tires are inflated the way you want them. Typically, the dealer will inflate them for comfort, not MPG. I've got our 18"s at 40psi, and we're in suburban DC.
I'd also have an additive handy...I use OptiLube, but the dealer probably has Stanadyne on the shelf. Use it.
Enjoy.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Definitely set the pressure in the tires to 4 lbs under the MAX for the best MPG. I learned this on the 05 Passats and the 17" tires. Remember this is the COLD temperature. First thing in the morning, no driving.

brent_strong

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Yeah, that's been about a norm for me and was on my checklist. They'll probably be at 30psi or less with this cold...35-40 would probably be more reasonable. Have to check the max.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Any tips, tricks, break-in info or anything else fun I might want to know for the ~6 hour drive home?
Disregard break in procedures set forth here and on the internet, and instead read your owners manual for proper break in procedures, including modest throttle application, varying the engine speed, avoid use of cruise control and no heavy acceleration or braking.

Basically, read the owners manual, VW builds and warrranties these cars, not the folks posting here. It is important to break your High Pressure Fuel Pump in properly with low wear scar, high lubricity fuel, loaded with 2 to 5 % biodiesel, at least for the first 2 or 3 fillups. Add a qt of B99 or B100 per fillup of regular diesel fuel, and you'll be fine, for the first 3 tanks.

DrivBiwires procedure was written 12 years ago, times and high pressure fuel pumps and injections systems have changed. Your High pressure fuel pump and preservation of it is more important than waiting 1000 miles to step on it hard to seat the rings.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
7/13/09: Date of DrivByWire's "break-in" post, cited above.

Niner: Food for thought...and possible proof of DBW's procedure:

09 JSW (before I joined here), followed the owners manual, gentle break-in.
09 Sedan: followed DBW's break-in...

JSW, at 50k miles, MPG is 31C, max 42-46 Highway
Sedan, (traded at 31k), MPG was 35 C, 48-49 Highway

More importantly, first thing the tech said, who installed both Frost Heaters, was, "Wow...the sedan is much quicker than your JSW, and I don't think it's because it's 200lbs. lighter."

So...as with ALL claims here, interpret all this as you will. I prefer to believe that DBW has NOT had his head in the sand for the past 12 years, and has taken into account how the VW TDI has "evolved".

Last edited:

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Pretty sure that break-in procedure date is WAY off. I will guess it was first posted more than 8 years ago. And yes, it's still worth following. To the letter? Dunno... don't claim to be a diesel engineer.

My advice for the return trip... bring a buddy or spouse to share the drive so you can read the manual. Why so many peeps don't read the manual is beyond me.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
I have never followed the manufacturer recommended for all 4 TDI's since 2000 and including the PD 2005 Passats and have had no issues.

You should drive it "normal" just like you will be driving it. If it can't handle that during the break in period then it is not going to last very long anyway.

The old idea of letting surface wear and mate and avoiding the burrs or ridges left from the old boring techniques is not an issue today. Modern manufacturing has improved so much even in the last 10 years.

Look at the fact that VW no longer does the 5000 mile oil change for the first. It is all 10K now. That says a lot about the quality of the engine.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
disregard break in procedures set forth here and on the internet, and instead read your owners manual for proper break in procedures, including modest throttle application, varying the engine speed, avoid use of cruise control and no heavy acceleration or braking.

Basically, read the owners manual, vw builds and warrranties these cars, not the folks posting here. It is important to break your high pressure fuel pump in properly with low wear scar, high lubricity fuel, loaded with 2 to 5 % biodiesel, at least for the first 2 or 3 fillups. Add a qt of b99 or b100 per fillup of regular diesel fuel, and you'll be fine, for the first 3 tanks.

Drivbiwires procedure was written 12 years ago, times and high pressure fuel pumps and injections systems have changed. Your high pressure fuel pump and preservation of it is more important than waiting 1000 miles to step on it hard to seat the rings.
ditto!!