Judder when pulling away

@Tdi VW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Pumpe Duse
Hello

Lately i feel a lot of juddering/vibration when pulling away in first gear. It gets worse when the car gets in temperature, and it feels worse when pulling away fast(relatively high rpm) and when pulling away uphill.

The judder feels trough the whole cabin when i start releasing the cluch till i completely take my foot of the clutch. When shifting other gears feels just fine.

Any idea ?

Dhawk12

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 ALH 5 spd
Following cause mine is doing the same thing, although it's not really consistent for me and seems to do it more when cold in my case. I thought my clutch might be going, which is possible, but it doesn't slip at all under load.

OP when you are up to temp, do some hard pulls in 4th and 5th gear and see if your clutch slips. If your revs rise way faster than road speed, then your clutch may be done, although like I said mine is doing the same thing with no noticeable slipping under load.

OP, did you recently do anything involving your brakes?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

@Tdi VW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Pumpe Duse
Following cause mine is doing the same thing, although it's not really consistent for me and seems to do it more when cold in my case. I thought my clutch might be going, which is possible, but it doesn't slip at all under load.

OP when you are up to temp, do some hard pulls in 4th and 5th gear and see if your clutch slips. If your revs rise way faster than road speed, then your clutch may be done, although like I said mine is doing the same thing with no noticeable slipping under load.

OP, did you recently do anything involving your brakes?

Hello

Car is remaped and the clutch doesnt slip. I feel it more when its hot outside and when the car is hot enough. Its just like me, doesnt like high temps :p

Not much time ago i replaced front brake discs, pads and brake fluid.

Dhawk12

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 ALH 5 spd
Interesting regarding the brake work. I ask because I saw another post on here today regarding weird clutch engagement and it got me thinking.

I also just had to change fluid and re-bleed the system because I disconnected the rears to swap axle beam bushing and my shudder has occurred since I did that swap, so I wonder if it could be caused by air in the system somewhere.

Hopefully others will chime in.

Dhawk12

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 ALH 5 spd
My first suspect are the inner CV joints.
cheers,
Douglas

Would the inner CV's cause the shuddering/engine stumble only when starting from a stop and display no other symptoms? That is what mine is doing, and sounds like the OP is having a very similar/the same problem.

Last time I had a worn inner CV, it was vibrating/making noise under load in all gears. This feels much more like a clutch engagement/disengagement issue as it is only when starting from a stop (at least for me).

Last edited:

Dhawk12

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 ALH 5 spd
Sounds like wheel-hop to me - if so, a new dogbone mount could solve it.

I can't speak for the OP, but I don't think mine is wheel hop. My tires aren't losing traction, its rather almost like the engine is about to stall. Or maybe I don't understand wheel hop.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
It would help if we knew what car OP is working with, his listed cars says Passat, so just wanted to clarify!

Dhawk12

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 ALH 5 spd
Rear main seal getting oil on clutch friction disk perhaps for the jutter when cold. It goes away after a bit of operation.
That would certainly be annoying as I just changed the rear main seal like 30,000km ago.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Maybe.

But I had the same situation come up with my Jetta and from the bottom the dogbone looked a bit suspicious. I changed it and... problem gone. Hmmm....

After I pulled the old one out the difference in the condition of the rubber between old and new, and the amount of motion the old one was permitting, was REALLY obvious.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Would the inner CV's cause the shuddering/engine stumble only when starting from a stop and display no other symptoms? ...
No, the classic inner CV joint failure presents as steering wheel shimmy when your foot is pressing on the go-pedal. As soon as you lift, the shimmy stops. And the shimmy is gear independent.

Cheers,

PH

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
I had a similar problem with one of mine and it turned out to be a bad trans mount (very loose) as well as the dog bone. There was too much movement in the engine under load and temperature did affect the way it behaved. Also I have seen clutches do the same thing if they were abused and created problems on the flywheel or pressure plate. You might really check your "a" frame mounts too. Sounds like something may be moving around when you take off. Too much movement will destroy your down pipe flex joint as well.