B6 S4 bhw compound turbo build

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 RS4 Titanium 3.0TDI & 2013 Touareg TDI & B6 S4 BHW Swap Biturbo
Yeah they're hydraulic and they usually leak out when you put Power to them lol yes differs always better gets hard to shift these things under power

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Did you make up a slip yoke for it to account for (fore - aft) driveline movement?

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
I'm going to guess and say that any movement is taken up by the cv joint so no need for a slip yoke?

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep cv joints compensate the original shaft had little if any slip in the center

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
The 25g has arrived. I need to start Machining the compressor cover to accept a larger wheel and then I will reassemble and hope for the best �� I gave the compressor covers a slight polish while they are off should make things look a little bit better

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
I got the block back from the sandblaster today it's a bit of a mess it's going to need a full cleaning but the end result is worth it. I started by drilling the block to accept a non bsm housing from here the block will get decked and Honed. I'm still uncertain of the exact Build details but im thinking somewhere along the lines of..

Molnar rods

Delipped and ceramic/moly coated bhw pistons
Or I have been working on a set of monotherm pistons I'm just playing around with the idea not sure if it will materialize

Girdle plate
Arp mains
Arp head studs

As for cylinder head I'm not sure yet I'm thinking Stage 3 colt upgraded springs and oversized valves & mild porting

I have also been playing around with another idea on solidworks trying to convert the head over to a roller lifter setup which would eliminate all PD cam wear issues this method would also allow me to offset the valves so I can use 40/36 valves this operation is waiting for my vmc 4th axis to be done so I can machine a billet cam

I will also be running water meth injection

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Or I have been working on a set of monotherm pistons I'm just playing around with the idea not sure if it will materialize

I have also been playing around with another idea on solidworks trying to convert the head over to a roller lifter setup which would eliminate all PD cam wear issues this method would also allow me to offset the valves so I can use 40/36 valves this operation is waiting for my vmc 4th axis to be done so I can machine a billet cam
Last I heard they can't do monotherms for non-centered bowl pistons, issues with aligning the bowl clocking with the skirt during the friction welding, so it'd probably be doable on a CR, if you could get them to make them. Maybe if you're a real good welder you could make the two halves all veed out and tig them together... Actually, it wouldn't be too horrible with a CNC mill, provided there's decent clearance between the bowl and the ring land, otherwise you'd end up with some real heavy pistons if they had to be siamesed together.

I did a lot of thinking on the roller lifters on a VE head, too. What I was thinking on that one was to use a mitsubishi style rocker arm like in those 3.0 v6 motors in the first gen caravans. Relocate the camshaft up and rearward for clearance. That route wouldn't work with a PD so easy, and you'd still need a reground cam to deal with the rocker ratio. I should take some pics of the compression release brake I was working on for a while...

ETA: Can't you offset the valves with the bucket lifters? They'd want to cock a little in their bores, but it can't be more offset of a force than every time the cam comes up on the lobe.

Last edited:

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah I agree the offset bowl is a real deal breaker that was the major constraint hence why I probably won't materialize and yes the valves could be offset technically I was planning on relocating the valve guides only like one millimeter or so

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
Machineman;5372004' said:
I started by drilling the block to accept a non bsm housing from here the block will get decked and Honed.
How do you plan on plugging the BHW housing holes ? Looks good !

Last I heard they can't do monotherms for non-centered bowl pistons, issues with aligning the bowl clocking with the skirt during the friction welding, so it'd probably be doable on a CR, if you could get them to make them.
Makes sense ! I know that Diamond pistons can make steel pistons.They would be shorter in height and require longer connecting rods.I can't recall the weight difference but they were heavier.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Yeah I agree the offset bowl is a real deal breaker that was the major constraint hence why I probably won't materialize and yes the valves could be offset technically I was planning on relocating the valve guides only like one millimeter or so
Got me thinking about it, making the crown and the skirt as separate pieces, with a very large oil channel in there to keep the weight down. Butt the bottom of the bowl up with an opening in the skirt half between the bosses for the piston pin to be able to weld it in in the center as well as around the OD, then have a shop with a piston grinder do the finishing work to them (making them that wierd piston shape that goes round as it expands, and honing the pin bore)... Used to be a common thing for auto machine shops to have a piston skirt grinder.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
While a monotherm would be really cool, are pistons a limiting factor in TDI engine performance?

Assuming they are, what about 3d printing (welding) some pistons?

A few places out there that do this kind of thing, typically with more exotic materials like inconel, and such but there are some high strength maraging tool steels available as well if I remember right.

They basically powder the metal and laser weld it in an inert gas environment. It's 100% density and near net shape so all you'd have to do is finish machine the OD, ring lands and wristpin bore.

They're going to be one off parts anyway, right? Production quantities are another story, but at low volumes this might be viable?

http://www.rapidmade.com/3d-printed-materials-resin-thermoplastic-metal-abs-acrylic-aluminum-steel

https://www.stratasysdirect.com/technologies/direct-metal-laser-sintering

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
How do you plan on plugging the BHW housing holes ? Looks good !

Makes sense ! I know that Diamond pistons can make steel pistons.They would be shorter in height and require longer connecting rods.I can't recall the weight difference but they were heavier.
I never thought about that actually I'm not sure if all of them are through holes I guess I would plug them with bolts that had to

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
Using stockmodified pistons they make 435 445hp in europe, 500+ with nos.
What is your goal here?
Steel Pistons don't really make any more horsepower the reasoning for it I guess would be longevity I don't want to have to worry a year down the road about melted Pistons as the car will get driven almost every day and I drive hard

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
While a monotherm would be really cool, are pistons a limiting factor in TDI engine performance?

Assuming they are, what about 3d printing (welding) some pistons?

A few places out there that do this kind of thing, typically with more exotic materials like inconel, and such but there are some high strength maraging tool steels available as well if I remember right.

They basically powder the metal and laser weld it in an inert gas environment. It's 100% density and near net shape so all you'd have to do is finish machine the OD, ring lands and wristpin bore.

They're going to be one off parts anyway, right? Production quantities are another story, but at low volumes this might be viable?

http://www.rapidmade.com/3d-printed-materials-resin-thermoplastic-metal-abs-acrylic-aluminum-steel

https://www.stratasysdirect.com/technologies/direct-metal-laser-sintering
This would definitely be the way to go assuming the price wasn't too far out of line which I can imagine it would be

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
Obviously turbos manifolds pipe work waste gate all the plumbing firad 160s down pipe air filter etc will work in any longitudinal 8v car