I want to build a B6 S4 avant Quattro 6speed TDI. Possible?

Celco

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 4dr ALH 5-speed
I want to build a B6 A4 Audi avant Quattro 6speed manual running from an ALH. I found a S4 avant with engine and trans removed and light front end damage salvage title for a decent price.

From my few days of research of plausibility find its possible to mate a ALH to a 01E trans. Found whitbred at one point had a source for Tdi ratios and rebuild on the 01e

what challenges do you see having to overcome to make this a reality? I have a complete parts ALH jetta and second ALH long block. I've found a S4 avant with its powerplant removed. Plus it's a S4 avant. Realistic price point of parts minus fabrication for engine to mate and drive the wheels? I would assume the ALH engine build like 2.0 pistons, h rods, 17 turbo, injectors, 11mm pump, intake manifold, intercooler , and a hot tune would be pretty boss in there. But are limitations to that transmission? I heard the 10X is garbage compared.

Knowing what you know what could I expect to see performance wise from something like that? HP/tq, mpg, 1/4 mile, price for hard parts involved in swap.

Then, other then a wild pipe dream, how much would a S4 avant Quattro Tdi be worth?

Thanks for any information or insight you can provide. Honestly would pretty much be my dream car and would daily the hell out of it. Wagon, diesel, awd, 6sp manual... If it could be built for under $6k not including donor car in seriously considering it.

Cheers

K1Cowboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Audi S4 AFN TDI
For your time and effort it would be more feasible to import an entire swap from a B6 in europe. Frans is the man to do it for you.

If you don`t want to go that route you should be looking at a BHW swap, as it is already longitudinal and will require less fabrication.

The 01E trans can take a real beating, like over 1000hp cars that snap half shafts and blow rear ends instead. The weakest part is the earlier model 1-2 syncros. The TDI version has a thicker 1st gear and of course different ratios than the gas trans. You can change the 6th gear to TDI gear, Scott Dewitt is the guy to talk to about that.

HP, TQ, 1/4 mile all depends on how much you want to spend. It will never be S4 fast without dropping a ton of cash but it can be A4 gas fast with injectors and a tune. MPG you should expect anywhere from 38-42 because it's quattro.

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Pretty sure the B6 S4 came with the 0A2 transmission which shifts much nicer than the 01E and doesn't have the syncro weakness. They use a rear crossmember to support the trans instead of the two ears which mount to the subframe on the B5. I think there were some B6s with the 01E so some versions may have the mounting bosses for the crossmember mount.

I have an 0A2 in the workshop from a B6 3.0TDI and the bellhousing etc looks identical to the 01E so it'd be a straight fit in the car and on to the BHW. V8 ratios should be high enough for a TDI too, so I'd be looking to acquire a replacement S4 trans rather than downgrade to an 01E

I'd also suggest going with a BHW, since the ALH needs a lot of stuff fabricating to mount longitudinally. If you import a full swap you can pretty much pick what you fancy of course - B6s came with lots of TDI options which would be plug n play.