Highway Miles vs. City Miles/EGR System Question

lawnarjax

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL, 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, 1994 Safari Trek (Isuzu 4BD2TC)
So I just purchased a 2010 JSW TDI with 105k on the OD, was able to speak to the previous owner and he states 85-90 percent of those miles were highway traveling from florida to vermont on a regular basis. Now aside from what we all know about the benefits of highway driving vs. start/stop driving on any car, and assuming what he told me is true, is there any benefit to the EGR system on this engine that these were highway miles? Has anyone been able to link any driving style or other variable to the EGR issues this engine seems to suffer from? I have a feeling there may not be any answer, and that it's luck of the draw when it comes to this very complicated EGR system.

Reason I ask:
This vehicle was purchased because I travel extensively for work, and regularly put 500-1000 miles on a rental each week. My company will also reimburse me @ 57.5 cents per mile, so I was leaving money on the table in my estimation. Even after fuel and a healthy maintenance allowance I will conservatively make 150-450 dollars a week. The car will pay for itself in less than a year. That's after setting aside 200-400 a month for maintenance. As long as the car remains relatively free of major issues, and I perform regular maintenance as prescribed in the manual/service guide I should come out ahead...Am I being too optimistic?

BTW I own another 2010 JSW TDI that just turned 85k miles and it is throwing an EGR code on and off, dealer wants $2200 to replace that whole system, but AFAIK it's not effecting mileage or performance yet, so I am not inclined to spend the money right now. If this new car generates the cash flow I predict I can recycle the money back into both cars over time.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
When you refer to the EGR system, are you only referring to the Exhaust Gas Recirculation system(s)?

The reason I ask is that there are other things to consider, like the DPF. I do a lot of highway, and based on the ash load number, expect to have to replace my DPF and some related parts at about the 200k-mile point, at a cost of ~$2400. That negates a lot of fuel savings, and is giving me cause to rethink diesels for my next car purchase.

I just ask because in my mind, the DPF is a bigger issue than the EGR system. And I'm guessing the $2200 for EGR work is high and you can get it done for less elsewhere. Sounds like the dealer doesn't know what's wrong and is doing the typical "throw a whole bunch of new parts at it and hope it works" thing.

autoxerwgn

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG, 2006 TDI (Sold)
I thought that the majority of EGR flow code problems are due to a clogged EGR filter. A clogged EGR filter, is generally caused by a cracked/broken DPF which allows the soot to get into the filter. I would think you should be questioning the longevity of the DPF and it's chances of cracking/breaking if you are worried about the EGR system. Most people seem to believe that interrupting regens can lead to premature DPF failure, but not sure if anyone actually has data to support this. One would also think that it would be much more likely to interrupt a regen if a car is used mostly in city driving and especially if used for shorter trips too.

lawnarjax

TDI
Thanks for the input, I really had not considered the DPF as the culprit, and I guess that is because I have not been reading enough. I need to read up on the DPF it sounds like. Even if I had to replace the DPF at $2400 I would make that back in 12 weeks max, but you are right, the margins get real thin with it's not a sure thing. The one thing I have going for me is that the reimbursement rate increased to $0.575 a mile.
Well I am in it for the long haul, perhaps I will chronicle my experience here for the sake of others.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
Admittedly, not exactly answering OP's core question, but... re last part of OP... the car with 85K throwing EGR code... Aren't the emissions components warrantied for 100K miles ? Why is dealer thinking they're going to charge money ?

Separately, I don't know this first-hand, but I've read on here that a look into the exhaust tips (where they exit at rear of car) can give a quick indication of DPF health; any soot seen in the exhaust tips means the DPF is cracked. At least, that's what I read....

lawnarjax

TDI
Yeah I'm going to check back with the dealer this week. Also I discovered something cool on the drive from Orlando To Jacksonville today. 2 things really. First the car gets better mileage at 80mph than 75mph...and most of the way back up I-4 and I-95.Is typical road surface. But once you hit the inside of the beltway in jax the road turns into a light concrete looking surface which appears to have been combed with a very fine toothed brush. The mpg jumped from high 30's to a steady 48-50 mpg. Any thoughts on this?

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
. But once you hit the inside of the beltway in jax the road turns into a light concrete looking surface which appears to have been combed with a very fine toothed brush. The mpg jumped from high 30's to a steady 48-50 mpg. Any thoughts on this?

Never noticed but less rubber on the road? WE have those here. Sounds like you tearing up the tires when you ride on combed highways.

Georgia_Boy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Before removing my DPF, EGR, and installing the CR170 turbo my car would get into the mid 40's around 80mph but only high 30's round 75. I just figured it was related to the power curve. Since my mods I'm in mid 40's at 75 and 80. I have noticed a slight bump in MPG on concrete compared to asphalt but nowhere near that significant.

lawnarjax

TDI
The JSW I bought was just stolen!!!

Kind of...

So when I picked this car up at the dealer on tuesday I immediately noticed the strong color resemblance to a ford mustang my wife owned when we were dating, she has always wanted another car that color. I made a joke to the car salesman that my wife would probably steal this one for herself and give me the Salsa Red one.

I did not tell my wife I got the car, I wanted to surprise her, so last night I pulled in the drive after coming home from my trip and her eyes lit up and I know it was all over.

She took it, but I am swapping the wheels out and keeping the 17's.

Happy Wife Happy Life