Exhaust Options

Typrus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Jetta Sedan GLS/TDI 5mt
So now that the Stage 3 goodness is mostly in...
Exhaust options!

2.5" or 3"? With 23, 24PSI boost pressures... Whats the better option?

Looking at-
Magnaflow 93006D (2.5") or Magnaflow 93009D (3") Cat
Aero-Exhaust Turbine-Resonator 2525 or 3030. OR
Turbo-muffler 2.5" or 3", probably Magnaflow (whatever the exhaust shop has)

What is the best option you guys think?

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
2.5 turbo back

go with just the cat at first. if you do not like the sound (i.e too loud) then add a muffler/silncer.

save your money up front. you will be surprised how quiet the car is with just a cat. even @ 2.5 inches

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
cat......muffler.......whatever, you are going to have to spend money on keeping the noise at a level you can live with. I think these engines are too loud with only the cat or a single muffler so I say get the cat and add a muffler if you want less noise. In years past I would have prefered the sound of only one of the decible dampners.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
I just listened to your youtube clip....as I said in earlier years I would have perfered that sound, it sounds good.....but I never would have said it is "slightly" louder than stock. It is considerably louder than stock. A decible meter would show a big noise level difference.

Typrus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Jetta Sedan GLS/TDI 5mt
I have to pass emissions. Cat=must. No, I will not hollow it out. I care about the brown cloud over Ft. Collins.
I'm getting the KERMA WGIF DP. Can't remember if its 2.25 or 2.5".

So 3" is useless?

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
I deleted both mufflers and keep cat... sound is louder and higher that stock... I'm thinking about to install a PP 2.5" downpipe, and 2.5" straight pipe for the rest... I don't want a terrible sound...if i add one Magnaflow high-flow cat and one resonator, will be the sound more acceptable?

Last edited:

nickhallnavy

Veteran Member
TDI
01 jetta
roadlust said:
I just listened to your youtube clip....as I said in earlier years I would have perfered that sound, it sounds good.....but I never would have said it is "slightly" louder than stock. It is considerably louder than stock. A decible meter would show a big noise level difference.
hmm the only time i can hear a difference in loudness is over 3k rpm's, which isn't often

richkcmo

TDI
Jetta
i must say I have the same magnaflow too and love it, you can usually get a used one on ebay or cragislist. I wanted a valid warranty so I got it here. Magnaflow 93006D. Also some of the forum sponsors selling magnaflow*usually have a sale going on. Either way its a great cat, sounds great, and very easy to install.