Oil leaking from intercooler?

StickShifter

TDI
Passat 130 Sport 2003 black
Hi all,
Not posted on here yet but lurked quite a bit...anyway here goes.
I have a 2003 passat tdi 130 sport which has covered 54000 miles. The service warning came on the other day and i serviced the car using the correct 506.01 oil (Castrol SLXII longlife/Edge). The car is on variable servicing and i've noted that since new its asked for an oil change every 18000 miles (give or take). I've reset the service indication to the correct values for variable servicing (VAG-COM), which appearently takes oil condition into its equation (sensor on the sump pan). I'm wondering what other peoples mileages are on variable servicing...anyone? (i'm in UK if that makes a difference). Also i've noticed that there seems to be oil leaking from the bottom hose of the intercooler...i took it off and a little oil drained out. This also happened on my Audi A4 1.8T turbo...Can anyone shed any light?

Many thanks

Stick

DrSmile

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS PD 5spd Wagon
I can't comment on oil change intervals, but some oil in the intercooler is a fairly normal condition resulting from the crankcase air being vented back into the intake due to emissions regulations. Many members utilize filters or catchcans in the vent line to prevent the oil from gunking up the intake/fmic like you are experiencing.

StickShifter

TDI
Passat 130 Sport 2003 black
Thanks for the reply DrSmile, i'll do a bit of searching on this sludge/oil catcher...:)

Stick