Where do I find widely used and cheap 507 oil?

Burnt

TDI
A7
Where might I find cheap and widely used 507 oil? Ones I know and look for are Castrol Edge LL03 and Mobil1 ESP; are there others?

I've been to Autozone, O'riley's, and Advanced Auto parts. Either the employee didn't know what I was talking about or they didn't have any 507 oil, been told at Autozone just to buy Rotella T6. My next stop is Pep boys since I've heard they have a couple sections. Is there a decently cheap option for 507 oil or will I always expect a high price for a quart? O'riley quoted me $11.99/quart for some brand random brand. I'm used to buying full synthetic 5 quart jugs for $23 at Walmart, $25 for Mobil1.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip> I'm used to buying full synthetic 5 quart jugs for $23 at Walmart, $25 for Mobil1.
You're not going to get 507.00 oil for those prices. The best I've seen is Total Quartz Ineo 507.00 oil on Amazon, around $39 for a 5 quart jug, if you've got Amazon Prime that covers the shipping.
I would also recommend idparts as a forum supporter, they carry a number of 507.00 oils at reasonable prices.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I bought a bunch of jugs from Blauparts when they had a sale. It yielded a price of around $5.50/litre.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You will not find "widely used and cheap" oil for your car. Since in this country, your car is not widely used nor is it cheap.

As suggested, look online for the best prices and plan ahead. Not really a big deal if you do some forward thinking. May not be what you are used to, but that is how it is.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
As already stated, no oil for a CR TDI is widely used as the cars are not widely used. No 507 rated oil is cheap and shouldn't be.

We all know anything can be bought by mail order. Mail order is not always convenient and shipping heavy bulk liquids is not cheap. Lets modify the questions a little bit. What is widely available, meaning local retail?

My local Autozone caries Mobil-1 ESP Formula 5W-30 507 rated. If your local store doesn't carry it, it can be usually ordered and delivered overnight.
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp

NAPA carries Liqui-Moly brand and can also have just about anything delivered the next day. Liqui-Moly Top Tech 4200 5w-30 is what you want.
https://products.liqui-moly.com/top-tec-4200-5w-30-9.html

If you watch for a sale you can get these oils for a decent price. That's what I do, wait for a sale and stock up.

:)

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I used to stock up on Mobile 1 at PEP BOYS when they had a good sale. problem is many times (but not all) the ESP formula is not included in the sale. The sale is usually about $35 for 5 qts and a filter. they usually don't have the TDI oil filter, so I get a filter for one of my other cars.

At the parts stores you have to know what you need !!! Don't ever depend on the counter person to know. I have never seen O'reillys stock the 507 oil and I shop there a lot.

I have seen posts here on NAPA having good sales that include the 507 oils. don't remember if its Mobile 1 or another brand

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Blauparts has free shipping, too, when over $xx amount. Yes, you have to plan ahead and buy in bulk.

Burnt

TDI
A7
Thank you all for the input. I wasn't sure if all oil went cheap, remember paying >$40 for 5 qts of oil a few years ago and I was looking in the wrong places for 507.

I'll be going to Napa and pep boys next.

Burnt

TDI
A7
Just bought a bunch of Mobil 1 ESP 0w-30 from Amazon for $51.43/6 qts

MP517PRCT

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, 2011 Touareg TDI Lux
I order Pennzoil Platinum Euro L Full Synthetic 5W-30, a 6-pack is $50.22, with Amazon Prime, 2-day shipping is free and Pennzoil has a $2/quart rebate, so you get $12 back. In the end the 6-pack costs me about $38. :D

I usually order oil and filters (oil and fuel if it's due) from amazon or idparts.com, whomever is cheaper when I'm 5k away from an oil change, that way I already have it in the basement when it's time to do LOF.