Injector Upgrades, Will .216s be to radical?

02IndioTDIGolf

TDI
2002 Golf Indio Blue
I want to put in .216 or .205 injectors in my 02 golf TDI.
Anyone got the 216s in and how hard is it to make her purr again?
Iv read about the 216s (although I think the article on this website has 216 and 205s switched)
and want to know who has done this and how they worked out the bugs
Was thinking the 205s with a chip or better yet the 216s without a chip. Seems like ethir need turbo tweeks

I ordered the vag-com, and if it ever gets here im gunna look into the injectors.

please help me decide witch way to go.

I suppose ill need the clutch upgrade also, and I was concerened about the length of the engine being shortened greatly

I dont want to race, at least not all the time

tdibigd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE w/DSG, black on black
If you find out, let me know. I'm interested in the same upgrade....haven't really found too much info on going from stock to .216 WITHOUT chip...

I really don't want to upgrade the clutch or anything else.

LWB053

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jetta, Dk Green
Concerning shortening of life of the engine:

(This is my opinion, so take it for just that, not some gospel or fact written in stone.../end disclaimer!)

I think it's more how you drive than what you drive. For example, a person could take a bone-stock, 2004 or low-miles 2003, and blow it up in a matter of days...or a person could drop in mongo injectors, Super-Uber-Chip, etc, etc, and still get 300,000 happy miles out of it.

If you consider mods and/or hard driving, 2 things deserve attention (in addition to what mods to do)...better monitoring of what's going on, like boost guage, EGT, oil press/temp, as you feel necessary....and compensating for increased heat/stress/load, like increased cooling, better lubrication, better filtration, again as you see fit.

I just wanted to bring this up, because I recently did an injector nozzle upgrade. I had already installed a boost guage, and had been driving it like that for a while to get a baseline. And I was absolutely stunned at the difference a set of nozzles made. I thought I was going to bend the gauge peg the first time I got into it, and that with a stock chip. I quickly learned to moderate my right foot to keep boost in a reasonable range (and have since chipped it and installed a mechanical boost limiter)...but had I not had the boost guage, I honestly believe I'd be shopping for a new turbo right now.

By the way, my driving style is pretty conservative...I really only "get into it" at get togethers, or enticing the "This is a diesel?!" comments out of new people...for the most part, I shift to keep RPMs about 2000 post-shift, and plan to have the car for another 100,000 miles, at least.

Good luck, and have fun!
Keith

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I recently did an injector nozzle upgrade. I had already installed a boost guage, and had been driving it like that for a while to get a baseline. And I was absolutely stunned at the difference a set of nozzles made. I thought I was going to bend the gauge peg the first time I got into it, and that with a stock chip. I quickly learned to moderate my right foot to keep boost in a reasonable range
That's very interesting, because the standard line heard around here is that a nozzle upgrade by itself, or a chip upgrade by itself, that bumps horsepower up to about 100-110 and torque up to 175-190, should not overstress anything, including the turbocharger.

Now you have me a bit concerned, even though my Sprint 520s are a very mild upgrade. Should I be concerned? Do I need a boost guage?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have driven a Golf 5-speed with stock chip and 0.216 injectors. I've forgotten whose it was, though. It was fine.

A boost gauge is a good idea. It is possible that you'll have to do something to tame it. Maybe adjust the stop screw so it can't close up as far, maybe the Dawes device.

My Passat has 0.216 injectors and stock chip. It required some fiddling to get it to work right.

SoCalJames

Veteran Member
TDI
I no longer own a TDI
Hey, my 2K 5sp has 107K miles. I just had the PP 520s put in today. I'm stunned too. Should I be concerned in your opinion? I am under the assumption that the engine as is, is designed to accomodate that additional gas flow provided by the added fuel?? Am I wrong?

michael.

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2K, silver
Upsolute and Sprint .205's and lovin it... but I just might be getting a boost gauge here as I'm getting worried about the turbo.

But I must say - so far - no problems yet. And I tend to "listen" to my engine and not abuse her too much.

michael.

kwong7

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI / White
I just had Kerma .216 nozzles installed on my 2001 Golf 5-speed today (my first mod). I will get the car back tomorrow and will take the Golf out for a road-trip to Vegas. I will let you know my opinions when I return. Also, I have a boost gauge, though it is not installed at the moment.

LWB053

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jetta, Dk Green
Well, to elaborate on my first post...my car is a 2000 Jetta 5-speed. I had 100,000 on it when I started modding. I dropped in a set of PP520s, and with stock chip, saw boost spike well upwards of 23 PSI, and steady state hanging at 20+. Of course, that was only when I'd really put my foot in it and hold it. But it was enough to make me glad I had the guage.

I'm guessing I'm probably one of the more "conservative" speed freaks...I have an RC Stage 2/Stage 3 switchable and PP520s. Before I go any further, I need a clutch, and I want to put better indications in it, improve fuel filteration, and I want to increase oil cooling. After that, my mods will be chosen based on what my indications tell me might be the next weak link, like EGT, intake plumbing, intercooling, fuel temp, etc, etc...a never ending quest for reliable speed.

Keith

silverbeast

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 2 Dr GTI - Candy White
Can anybody post some links of where some of these upgraded injectors can be bought from for a reasonable price??? Also, does the computer have to be tweeked with VAG-COM after replacing just the injectors. And one more question, how much lower is the fuel consumption gonna be after injector mod???

Thanks in advance.

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D
Head over to the TDI Power Enhancement area. You'll find enough to keep you 'undecided' for a little while.
Although seems to be a little price incentive going on at the moment from a couple of vendors?

Raxum

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Beetle
I put in 0.216 injectors with stock everything else. LOVE them, Some smoke at WOT. I need some more boost. I will probly do the electral bleed on the presure sensor to compansate. No clutch slip no idle or shudder problems.

98 New Beetle 130k.

02IndioTDIGolf

TDI
2002 Golf Indio Blue
So we got a few 216s out there

Not much mention of vagcom tweaking after install though

My vagcom is supposed to be here monday so I can fix my glow plug light and check how she is doing after dealership timing belt install

Sounds like I can do the 216s without much worry.

What about 216s with a chip
any comments?

SoCalJames

Veteran Member
TDI
I no longer own a TDI
FYI- My first average w/ PP520s- 39 mpg. I had the Intake cleaned and the EGR mod done. I think 39 is outstanding considering how much my front tires have worn since I got my PP520s installed!!

JoesTDI

TDI
Jetta 2001 Black
well you guys have given me plenty to think about. I was thinking of doing the injectors or the chip but not both so as to stay on the conservative side. Just want a little more power which do you think is the better choice?

SoCalJames

Veteran Member
TDI
I no longer own a TDI
I'd do the injectors. Make sure and have someone w/ a vag-com do it. (So they can make the adjustment in the Injection Quantity). My car has been virtually transformed by my PowerPlus 520s. (From Kermi TDI.com). According to this site, the larger injectors are the primary difference between the German vers. and our PC- (virtually smoke free), version.

JoesTDI

TDI
Jetta 2001 Black
Thanks, that is the direction I've been leaning toward. I wanted to wait until I had a new TB and it was done on Sat. (62K)so now I feel that the motor is ready for more... What do you think of .205s vs .216s?

SoCalJames

Veteran Member
TDI
I no longer own a TDI
I don't know. I'm not knowledgeable on the various sizes. All I know is that I have PowerPlus 520s and my car flies now! Sometimes she lets a great cloud that can be embarrasing here in tree hugging California, but I'm willing to deal. The safety measure of having available torque for passing bypasses any eco-worries I may have. People here in So Cal drive insanely! Have you been to the Kerma tdi site? www.kermatdi.com

jansjetta

TDI
Jetta 2003 Silver, Golf 2003 Beige
I installed ".216s" and am happy with them. They smoked a little when I revved it so I got an OM intake and the smoke went away. Haven't seen Red Rotors on this site lately so I don't know if they're still available. I think the .205s would be comparable.

mkosem

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDi
I've got .216 nozzles on my 01 golf with stock chip. The power is a nice improvement over stock, and the power band pulls to about 4400rpms. When I first installed them I was getting a tiny amount of slowdown shudder and a small amount of smoke, but adjusting the EGR to the maximum and setting the IQ to 3.4 made everything smooth and smoke free!

I definitely recommend .216's.

--Matt

SoCalJames

Veteran Member
TDI
I no longer own a TDI
Anyone know how big the Power Plus 520s are? I think they're .25 something, but not sure??

02IndioTDIGolf

TDI
2002 Golf Indio Blue
So I emailed Redrotor but have heard a rumor that hes not around
Also read the 216s are actually 205s now in actual size
Kerma is still out there but Red had the complete injector set for a good price.

Someboady help with a link to some injectors (complete injectors) with pricing so I can order some please

Im bummed out and waiting for injectors

tdibigd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE w/DSG, black on black
So I emailed Redrotor but have heard a rumor that hes not around
Also read the 216s are actually 205s now in actual size
Kerma is still out there but Red had the complete injector set for a good price.

Someboady help with a link to some injectors (complete injectors) with pricing so I can order some please

Im bummed out and waiting for injectors

Let me know what you find. I'm also in market for a good deal.

Dunhamjr

Veteran Member
TDI
none right now
Hey- What is an "OM" intake? What are "Red Rotors?"
OM intake -- Oldman Intake, its a better intake tube... do a search, lots to find.

Red Rotors -- if I remember correctly he was selling larger nozzled injectors as a package... i may be mistaken, once again a search will find more.