installing a fuel switch to shut down fuel flow

Mozes

TDI
VW Bora
hey everyone.
about 2 weeks ago someone tried to steal my car. he damaged some stuff (if you think you can help, click here), im trying to prevent my car from being stolen in the future. its a matter of time until he comes back to finish what he started (VW TDI's are very VERY popular stealing cars over here).
so, im doing whatever i can to make sure he wont succeed.
1 thing i had in mind is installing a kind of switch that shuts down fuel flow to the engine. kinda like your main water or gas switch in your house.
installing the switch and hiding it somewhere in the car could really help prevent stealing the car by that son of a b****.
anyone know if its even possible?
if it is, how?
what kind of parts do i need for this?
anything important i need to know to execute this kind of project?
thanks everyone for all their help!
Mozes.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
What year is the car? And what engine code? Older models with the rotary injection pump have a single wire that provides +12V to a solenoid in the pump to enable fuel flow- would be very easy to place a switch in that line (of course also very easy for the thief to "hot wire" if he can get the hood open). Newer models I am not familiar with.

Mozes

TDI
VW Bora
the car is a Bora (Jetta), year 2000, TDI ofcourse...i have no idea which engine code...if you can explain how i can find that out, i'd do it and post it here.

thanks alot for the reply!

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I feel for you and would hate to come out to find my car vandalized in an attempt to steal. The problem with most methods of starter/fuel disconnects is by the time the thief figures out he can't take the car, the damage is already done. Broken windows, hammered door locks, smashed ignition switches, etc.

I take it your model year in your country doesn't have the VW "Immobilizer" system installed? That should take care of unauthorized starting but... still the damage. Maybe you should investigate an alarm system that includes lift and window break sensors. There are even proximity sensors on some. Ideally, you will want to stop the thief before he has the chance to do the damage.

Start by checking out THIS and see if you find the idea attractive. Many systems have remote start and you won't want that unless your car is an auto transmission. Any additional features such as keyless entry, trunk release you can just disregard if you choose or find one that just has the features you need. Worth looking into anyways.

Mozes

TDI
VW Bora
actually my car does have the immobilizer. plus there is a code-card installed in the car. you cant start the car without punching in the right code.
my guess is that these 2 features prevfented the theft.
the thieves in Israel are very clever. even cars with the most advanced technology get stolen. even cars with GPS tracking are stolen never to be found. the thives know anything and everything. i have a friend that tied his car to a pole, much like you do with a motorcycle, and the car still got stolen.
the problem is, and i know this for a fact, that when thives fail to steal a car of this kind, it is usually because the theif was not very prefossional. in this case, they come back after a few weeks with a more veteran thief, and then the car is done for.
with that said, ofcourse i care about the damage being done, but i rather fix damage than losing the entire car. i cant afford buying a new car. so my only solution is to prevent this one from being stolen.
i read the page you linked, and it does sound amazing. not too expensive either. i have to check if this imported to israel or i have to import it myself. if that is the case, installation would be my problem, but i can overcome that too.
this system is something im definitly going to buy, but until then, i have to install this switch.

i would greatly appericiate more info and help on this matter.

thanks for the reply.

Mozes.

Last edited:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I would look at an interuption of the power to the computer, similar to pulling the main power (109) relay. This would let it crank but not start, and can be done fairly simply. One way would be to pull fuse 29 and 37 in your fuse panel (if it is similar to a 2000 model in the states.) Or put a switch in one or both of those wiring paths.

You can also interupt the power to the fuel cutoff solenoid, but that is easily jumpered from the battery.

Mozes

TDI
VW Bora
funny you would mention that, just 2 nights ago, my friend's car was almost stolen.
he has a VW microbus from the 1960's. completely renovated. completely original except the car stereo and locking system.

he has a 3 year old pitbull, fully trained. he doesnt eat unless his owner gives him the food.

the thieves are now hospitalized. one with a bite in the neck, and the other in the groin.
the dog is in quarentine, unfortunately.

only damage to the car is a broken window, which caused the dog to wake up.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I used to have an alarm system that would notify me via the remote/pager for up to 1 mile away if someone opened the door, broke a window, etc. I actually disabled the siren so, hopefully, I could catch them in the act. The system I linked to earlier has the same feature.

As you apparently don't have a garage option available, you might have to settle for second best. If these thieves are as professional as you say, simple disconnects would probably be pretty easy for them to find and bypass. Removing the Relay 109 forces them to have one on-hand and may be a step in the right direction.

I still think an alarm with motion and glass breakage detection plus remote notification might be your best option. It's going to take them a couple minutes to shut your car up if activated but if you're notified as well, it might give you time to meet them w/the 12 ga. as a final deterrent.

I don't know how pro these guys are but if they're coming in w/flatbeds, etc. a quick clip of the battery cable shuts everything down and can be done in less than a minute. If they're that skilled, equipped and determined, not sure where to go from there.

Mozes

TDI
VW Bora
that alarm system is a great option. the second it beeps, even if they will disconnect it after 5 seconds, ill already be on my way to the car with my Glock...enough said. it will take me 20 seconds to get to the car. by that time they wont be able to take it.

until ill get this system installed, i need to install something cheap and quick that could stop them. removing those fuses sounds like a great idea, coz im not sure they would even think about a solution this simple. ppl always think about complicated and complex solutions when actually the simple ones are the best.

however, i still want to install a fuel switch, which is the original idea of this post.
any knowledge about that?

thanks for all the posts and the help, its comforting to know theres someone to talk to about this issue.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I would install a switch to the fuel cutoff solenoid on the pump I guess. See Item 8 on pic below. To keep it as stealth as possible, I'd probably back-trace the wire and splice it in somewhere inconspicuous.

Mozes

TDI
VW Bora
wow guys! thanks alot! this is exactly what i was looking for!

that switch, i can place it anywhere i want in the car?

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5spd 390k mi
Yup, anywhere. To get even meaner you could wire up a switch to the anti shudder valve flap. When they start they car you send a signal to the flap to close and shut the engine off.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
.....and a meter length of wire from the battery + terminal to the post on item 8 and the switch is defeated.
No, I did NOT givie out any secret information. That electrical solenoid is a well known component and is a primary culprit to no-start on diesels.

Any ONE problem is easily solved, but solving TWO problems is exponentially more difficult. Pair that stop solenoid switch with another switch and the chance of theft by driving is greatly reduced.
It might still be towed away, but is less likely to be started and driven away.

Hide the switches and hide them in different locations. Don't add a switch to the dash. Do something like adding a contact to an existing switch.
A co-worker lived in a high theft area. His 'kill-switch' was in the right turn directional stalk. He'd flip the lever up for a right turn and complete the circuit to permit starter motor operation.
I hid a switch under the manual shifter boot. I could press the leather cover downward to press the switch contact, but there was no switch visible. It was awkward to reach across and press with my left hand while turning the key with my right, so that kill-switch location didn't remain in use for long....

Mozes

TDI
VW Bora
Any ONE problem is easily solved, but solving TWO problems is exponentially more difficult. Pair that stop solenoid switch with another switch and the chance of theft by driving is greatly reduced.
It might still be towed away, but is less likely to be started and driven away.

Hide the switches and hide them in different locations. Don't add a switch to the dash. Do something like adding a contact to an existing switch.
A co-worker lived in a high theft area. His 'kill-switch' was in the right turn directional stalk. He'd flip the lever up for a right turn and complete the circuit to permit starter motor operation.
I hid a switch under the manual shifter boot. I could press the leather cover downward to press the switch contact, but there was no switch visible. It was awkward to reach across and press with my left hand while turning the key with my right, so that kill-switch location didn't remain in use for long....
i didnt understand everything.
u said to create 2 "problems", using 2 switches? i didnt quite understand that part.
i understood that its best if i install this wiring to an existing switch, for example the emergency lights or the rear windshield heating.
but what happens after i start the engine? can i turn off that switch?
lets say i wired it to my emergency lights/rear windshield heating, i get to the car, pressed the button, and started the car. after the car is started, i can turn off the lights/heating?
and what if i use them during driving daily? for example, if its wired to the emergency lights, and i decided to use them during driving, would that have any other effect besides the lights?

thanks alot for the reply!