What did you do to your MKIV today?

DMan1198

TDI
02 VW Jetta
Bumped iq from 3 to 5.2, and topped up the oil last night, then roadtripped around 600km to Calgary for some vacation days. I’ve been feeling pretty burned out at work. Mileage is a little disappointingly in the low 40’s, but it’s still better than my trucks.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Mk4 Gli leather handbrake cover, and do you have the 3 spoke steering wheel to go with it ?

Bajan

It’s really nice leather. Feels better than the 13 year old rubber cover. I installed a brand new leather 3-spoke “color concept” steering wheel. It’s a high quality matte black leather with yellow stitching. I also installed a brand new leather 4-motion shift knob with a blue leather boot. It made a nice improvement, upgrading the touch points with German made leather.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
received my Frostheater in the today..

Its installed, and i already drove the 30+ miles to break it in or whatever. it is ready to plug in and test. No real cold weather on the horizon, just one of those fun upgrades i can say i have.

aktartt

TDI
2000 Golf
I removed the sticky, grimy Soft Touch coating from all four interior door grips. I used 91 percent rubbing alcohol, rags, and a Scotch-brite pad. I followed up with a thin coat of bowling alley wax, buffed, which I hope will protect against dirt buildup. They look great.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Oil change, fuel filter, cabin filter, and new right rear caliper. Old caliper had a frozen piston in the retracted position. Recently I’ve had a vibration under braking around 50mph and my e-brake cable adjustment yoke was wonky. Did a good inspection underneath and found the ebrake mechanism stuck in the “Park” position but it wasn’t holding the wheel at all. Road tested after the swap and the vibration issue is gone and I can adjust the ebrake cable yoke to be even.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
It made a nice improvement, upgrading the touch points with German made leather.
I feel like this is a very underrated mod to cars. I have the factory MK4 .:R32 steering wheel in my wagon and it feels much better than the original 4 spoke. I'm debating having that done in black alcantarra or suede. The current shiftknob is the metal one that comes with the B&M short throw lever, but I also picked up a black suede weighted shift knob from Black Forest Industries. I also had a custom black suede shift boot with gold stitch made for it as well.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
I renewed my tdi wagon GOTDZL plate at Plymouth dmv this morning.
While there I saw Peter’s tdi IBW Park outside. Man that wagon is as clean as ever, one thing though I’ve always disliked those Avus wheels on my wagon, but hey they look perfect on IBW.
I got a like new set just sitting in my shed, maybe I’ll put them on my tdi sedan, maybe not who knows lol.

Bajan

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That’s pretty funny that we were both there. Let me know if you want to part with the Avis 1s. I seem to be collecting them.

moparvwfrak

TDI
02 Jetta TDI, 99 MK4 Jetta TDI (parts), 99 mk4 Jetta gasser
i now have almost all the parts to fix the 2.slow. i should be doing the headgasket this week if all goes well but we have a HG job already in the bay. so once thats done, i can start on mine. hell havent even looked at my TDI in over a week.

benson4349

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (ALH, MT)
Glow plugs, harness, and E GAD what happened to the tranny mount?

I've ignored glow plug codes for #2 and #3 for a couple years now... idparts put their glow plug kit on sale and I bit. Glad I did now because the harness fell apart when I removed it to replace the plugs! So I pulled the battery and air box to install the harness and found my transmission mount has loosened up... made a return trip to idparts site for new tranny and dogbone mounts. It's about time I replaced them anyway.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Had a 2 1/2" cat back straight pipe installed. Sounds mean and I, thankfully, don't hear turbo whine from where I'm sitting. I do want an oval flow through muffler to knock down a bit more of the sound; though, it'll be fun for a minute.
Pic while being, not bad for $75 installed

Just noticed the plug in the spare tire spot needs replaced, wonder how long it would have been had I not taken that picture...
Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
That’s pretty funny that we were both there. Let me know if you want to part with the Avis 1s. I seem to be collecting them.

Will do.
OEM Avus wheels are perfect for tdi owners, who are looking to eek out the best possible fuel mileage, which doesn’t apply to me. Those wheels are extremely lightweight for factory OEM, and gives the best ride when paired with Michelin MXV tires.

Bajan

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've got General Altimaxs on there now, and they ride as well as the Michelins and aren't quite as scary in the rain. And since I drive that car a fair amount and tend to be frugal, I like that 15s are so inexpensive.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
Replaced Wilbur’s rear calipers, rotors, and brake pads. Should’ve replaced the dust shield and a couple other things. Lots of rust down there. So bad the dust shield was see through in a few places and fell apart like wet cardboard when i gave it a nudge with a screwdriver. I ended up trimming it back a bit because the edges were well frayed and I was concerned about it causing problems.

That impact driver saved my sanity with the rotor screw. Ridiculous.

Doing the front soon.

And yes, i bled the breaks. I do it the manual way with two people. I thought about buying the vac bleeder, but I’m hesitant. The manual way provided a fun bonding moment with the wife. Though I think she didn’t find it quite as fun as I did.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
by the way. did something go wrong with the photos pages? It won’t let me upload anything and I’m no where near the limit, but it keeps saying I am.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
Is it not the post limit of 10?
idk. i am meaning that the photo hosting page for this club won’t let me upload. I might be confused about what your asking.. I don’t mean posting photos in the threads though.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
idk. i am meaning that the photo hosting page for this club won’t let me upload. I might be confused about what your asking.. I don’t mean posting photos in the threads though.
There's a separate log-in. Are you logged in to Photos?

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
There's a separate log-in. Are you logged in to Photos?
yeah. it says i’m currently over my quota for disk space. it’s been a while since i added though. i donated last year to the site and i think it gave me the higher storage allowancek, i think. maybe it’s a yearly thing? idk. i should donate again anyway. lol.

anyway, i’ve logged in, i’ve even deleted a few photos. i thought about deleting them all but didn’t want to break the links and have to fix them ..

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Replaced Wilbur’s rear calipers, rotors, and brake pads. Should’ve replaced the dust shield and a couple other things. Lots of rust down there. So bad the dust shield was see through in a few places and fell apart like wet cardboard when i gave it a nudge with a screwdriver. I ended up trimming it back a bit because the edges were well frayed and I was concerned about it causing problems.

That impact driver saved my sanity with the rotor screw. Ridiculous.

Doing the front soon.

And yes, i bled the breaks. I do it the manual way with two people. I thought about buying the vac bleeder, but I’m hesitant. The manual way provided a fun bonding moment with the wife. Though I think she didn’t find it quite as fun as I did.
I recommend making a pressure bleeder with a garden sprayer. It's pretty easy and so much better than vacuum bleeders. No air bubbles from the tool.
Just have to make a cap with a nipple that fits the reservoir. A round piece of plastic works well. Rubber might work better if you can find something rigid enough.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
I recommend making a pressure bleeder with a garden sprayer. It's pretty easy and so much better than vacuum bleeders. No air bubbles from the tool.
Just have to make a cap with a nipple that fits the reservoir. A round piece of plastic works well.

it’s worth a try :D

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
it’s worth a try :D
Only thing is to be sure it doesn't leak air under pressure, otherwise, it will over fill with fluid and cause a huge mess! $10 sprayer from Home Depot and something to make a cap air tight and done. I used the OEM cap screw and it was the seal I found most difficult. Used a round o-ring to seal the plastic in the end.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Do those have pressure gauges? Because you don't want to exceed a certain psi. 14 IIRC...
EDIT: I fretted over my MKIV today (both of them):)
No, however you can use a cheap tire gauge and the release hole for that. Or just don't pump so much, doesn't take much to push through the fluid.