VNT-17 on a KP 39 tune

koolaid

Banned
TDI
2004 Jetta 5 speed BEW
I have the factory KP-39 with a 3" exhaust and a Malone 1.5 tune that I've been running for about a year. I have purchased a vnt-17 with 3 bar sensor and everything needed to install but I haven't installed yet. All maintainance is up to date and the car runs like a champ.

Can I install the turbo and sensor without updating anything else? Or will I have to get my current tune adjusted?

I'm thinking the 3 bar sensor will throw off the ECU and make it run like shat or dangerously high boost

I plan on getting a Malone 4 tune in a few months so I don't want to purchase a retune of the 1.5 if it will be fine

mountain lion

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Ran a new vnt-17 on mine w/ RC1 for a month before getting re-tuned recently...ran great, a little more laggy than the kp39, but that's to be expected. The new tune will fix that right up. Don't installed the 3bar MAP until the day you get it re-tuned.

Be sure to prime your new turbo before firing it up the first time by disconnecting the injector harness and hold the starter for 20 seconds a couple times to get oil in. Chances are if you have the original oil feed line, it's going to bind up and be ruined on removal.

Last edited:

koolaid

Banned
TDI
2004 Jetta 5 speed BEW
I thought about that and went ahead and purchased the steel braided line from fixmyvw.com and even the return line. Along with boost and egt gauge. I'm taking every precaution I can to keep from having to EVER replace the turbo again.

I'm hoping maybe the larger exhaust will help reduce lag, but I will be even more happier when I get the stage 4 tune.

Anyone have fuel mpg with this type of set up?

mountain lion

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Depends on your driving habits, tires, wheels, etc, but my old kp39 w/ 2.5 downpipe and no egr I would easily get 54-55 mpg in the summer with 98% highway driving on cruise control at 70mpg on Michelin Energy savers.

Changing the 5th gear to a .658 brought it up some more.

The vnt-17 pretune didn't change FE much, actually dropped it down a small bit, but it is right back up after being tuned for the new turbo and 3bar.

I now have Bosio 1043 nozzles and that gave me another few mpg - if I lock it at 70mph, 59-60 mpg is no problem.

koolaid

Banned
TDI
2004 Jetta 5 speed BEW
What is the acuator movement vacuum to be? I want to make sure my smart acuator is adjusted properly with my mityvac before I install. Start moving around 4 and full range at 20??

koolaid

Banned
TDI
2004 Jetta 5 speed BEW
I installed my vnt17 and malone 4. and 3 inch exhaust Freaking love it. I am in the process of getting a FMIC

Anyone have an idea around what hp I am currentyl at?

mountain lion

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Probably ~150. Injectors/nozzles are holding you back now and after that the vnt17. What clutch is in your car - if it's original, it won't last much longer ;)

koolaid

Banned
TDI
2004 Jetta 5 speed BEW
Probably ~150. Injectors/nozzles are holding you back now and after that the vnt17. What clutch is in your car - if it's original, it won't last much longer ;)

SB stage 2 endurance, so no clutch slippage :p

I thought PD injectors didn't have to be upgraded unless looking for crazy power?

If upgrade is needed, what should I be looking at? I want to keep my vnt 17

RichJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-PD 5spd
i have a 17/22 on stage 1.5 malone tune until i do my clutch. It is running fine on the tune. I would just do the turbo and install the map when you get the tune done.

Richard

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
SB stage 2 endurance, so no clutch slippage :p

I thought PD injectors didn't have to be upgraded unless looking for crazy power?

If upgrade is needed, what should I be looking at? I want to keep my vnt 17
You don't need injectors unless you want big power.

mountain lion

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
The pd100 injectors are great, but the nozzles on them won't get you much past 150 without smoke and excess EGT's with a vnt17. They don't flow enough fuel fast enough. Bosio DLC 1043 nozzles will get you a lot further with much better economy and room to grow well past the vnt17 if you ever want to go to a bigger turbo. The nozzles with a proper tune for them should get you closer to 170 on the vnt17. Will send you a pm (just did these mods).

koolaid

Banned
TDI
2004 Jetta 5 speed BEW
The pd100 injectors are great, but the nozzles on them won't get you much past 150 without smoke and excess EGT's with a vnt17. They don't flow enough fuel fast enough. Bosio DLC 1043 nozzles will get you a lot further with much better economy and room to grow well past the vnt17 if you ever want to go to a bigger turbo. The nozzles with a proper tune for them should get you closer to 170 on the vnt17. Will send you a pm (just did these mods).
Any information about these and the install would be great!

Will the vnt17 be enough for these nozzles?

Also, at what point will I need to upgrade the head bolts?

mountain lion

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
The 1043s are on sale at ID for $350 right now...there are options to get them installed properly other than mailing them out, I'll send you some info.