Mufflerectomy

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
yes, i did it last week... the same impressions... sound at idle is the same, under light throtle is a bit higher and louder than stock, but when driving above 2000 rpms with no throtle pedal, engine sound is fine, loud and strong... i love this sound, but i hope with a 2.5" downpipe will be greater.
for EGTs temp reduction... what part of exhaust have more restriction and give more high EGTs? i hope that my EGTs without two stock mufflers are lower now... is suggested to delete CAT for EGTs temp reduction?

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
gjetta said:
I just got my mufflerectomy done. I like it however i am a little dissapointed because I was hoping to hear the turbo alot clearer and louder but it really sounds pretty much the same.
You're going to have to take your cat off for that sound. I'd recommend buying a new downpipe without a cat. I'm already waiting on mine. :D

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Here's my $20 muffler delete... Sorry, "mufflerectomy" sounds dumb. :p
  • I cut the pipe with a Sawzall just before the muffler so it's as straight as possible.
  • I then cut 2 slits on the 3ft pipe so it would conform to the contour of the OEM pipe. It will NOT be straight when installed on the OEM pipe.
  • I loosely installed the pipe with the hanger (at the bend - see pic) to get it as straight and level as possible and then tightened down the clamp.

All parts bought at Pep Boys. Took about 10 minutes to do. :)

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
you are gonna want that to go past the bumper

mine was very similiar...

sounded VERY gasser with holey muffler the way I had it.. until I added 14" of straight onto my turndown..

granted, mine ended a little further in than your does.

I have basically bought another 18" straight piece, and cut about 3-4" off it and added it to the turndown.. pounded right over the slash tip, and got a good clamp on it.
it now ends just past the plastic on the bottom of the bumper.. no more drone, just a lil growl under acceleration... and still the nice turbo sound when at a stoplight.

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
wow look at how much more space you have between your pipe and the axle..

guess my lowering springs are workin...

oh and you have a leak..

see image.

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Growler said:
oh and you have a leak..
Meh.. that doesn't bother me. I knew it would leak if it wasn't welded. I will probably end up with a 3" system sometime in the future and the $20 muffler delete will do until then. :)

Thanks though.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I've been through quite a few options to deal with noise/drone/etc

This was the loudest of all - worse than the 4" straight pipe with no mufflers at all run straight out the back (video in signature)
[/IMG]

This was very quiet....but, well, you know, I figured the required raincap would clink too much :)
[/IMG]

This one was also relatively quiet.......but I don't like wearing a ski mask everywhere I go, keeps messing up my hair.
[/IMG]

This is my latest setup (in conjunction with the Aero Turbine up in the cat location). I've since turned the ~75 degree tip ~45 degrees to the drivers side. I need to go for a drive in a stock setup to re-evaluate but it's not much louder than that in normal driving - until you really get after it then it gets louder, but not obnoxious by any means.
[/IMG]

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
yay, extended mufflerectomy.. added one more 18" straight piece cut down to 14" or so.. brings it to just under/behind the rear valence.

no more drone...

and yes, I plan to clean up the edges of the rear valence.. looks MUCH worse with the flash than it actually is...

I do need to go get another hanger because with the tip extended like it is, the pipe rattles around in there too much and keeps banging against the valence (even with it trimmed)

so Ill be looking for one of these on the right (Thanks Got Bearings)

new video is here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXhr0ujCWTo

Last edited:

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Bora gone. 2006 Benz CDI 235hp 420ftlbstq
What the mufflerectomy does is to lower the EGT, better turbo life.
No better MPG's in mine.

akampion

TDI
1998 jetta tdi
I removed both mufflers and the cat. and put 3" from the d.p. straight out the back. No problems at all and no buzzing. It sounds a lot better and the turbo spools-up faster and should last a bit longer now.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
akampion said:
I removed both mufflers and the cat. and put 3" from the d.p. straight out the back. No problems at all and no buzzing. It sounds a lot better and the turbo spools-up faster and should last a bit longer now.
had you used the stock downpipe?

akampion

TDI
1998 jetta tdi
Hey Satiro,
Yes, I unfortunately used the stock downpipe. Hopefully I can make a larger one later. Even so, it has made a difference in performance and it sounds a lot better, especially after after adding the new pp520s...

Vinyl_Addict

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Found my new noise. Flex pipe completely separated from the flange. I also have a hole worn thru right before the cat. Amazing how quiet the turbo keeps everything. When my fox exhaust broke right off the manifold it sounded like 500 tanks.

Trying to decide what to do for my A3, i see alot of stuff for the A4. Something custom would be cool, straight pipe from flexpipe to rear of car

Whats the biggest i can go? 2.5" 3"?

diggler1

TDI
06 Audi A3 2.0TDI, DSG
Amazing how no matter where you are in the country, muffler shops will do this for ~$40.
That's the price my local shop did it for me; took 30 minutes while we chatted.

I went with 2.5" from muffler cut-off point to the back.
Very slight in-car sound increase, no annoying buzz or rattles.
Outside of the car, same with more turbo whine.

An easy, inexpensive mod.

I'll consider the DP and cat-back in a few months.
He quoted me $60 to do just the pipe and bending from the cat-back.

Last edited:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
diggler1 said:
I went with 2.5" from muffler cut-off point to the back.
Very slight in-car sound increase, no annoying buzz or rattles.
Outside of the car, same with more turbo whine.
How did you finish the tip? Straight out horizontally?

Vinyl_Addict

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
what are my options for an improved flexpipe section? TDIparts only has one listed for the A4. If i'm going to go new i might as well do 3" straight all the way to the back, or 2.5" flex to 3"...

JasonM726

TDI
PD Jetta
I just cut out both mufflers on my 06 jetta and had them put 2.5" pipe from the DP back. It sounds great and doesn't buzz a bit. I noticed that it spools up faster, and it doesn't seem to have as much engine braking. Good mod.

Corbin

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, Reflex Silver
Problem with custom bent muffler shop exhaust is the bends. Muffler shops use press type benders which reduce diameter at the bends. So your new 2.5'' exhaust is effectively 2.25 (theoretical figure, maybe more, maybe less) at the bends. The expensive performance exhausts are expensive because they are mandrel bent, i.e. continuous diameter. Not that I wouldn't have my exhaust made at a muffler shop, but maybe the 3'' is more plausible if you go that route. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
JasonM726 said:
I just cut out both mufflers on my 06 jetta and had them put 2.5" pipe from the DP back. It sounds great and doesn't buzz a bit. I noticed that it spools up faster, and it doesn't seem to have as much engine braking. Good mod.
Straight out the back? Cut at 90 degrees? Does it come out below the bumper? Details please?

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
OK, OK...

Mine is at about 30 degrees down AND out towards the drivers side.
I cut it too short and the soot was getting the bumper(white) a little colored :p , so there is an extension on the tip now.

When I did the MOD.:
~30lbs less to carry,
spools faster,
cooler EGT's,
seems more torque at low rpm's,
"nice" sound, especially in tunnels :cool: .

For the older TDI's, 2.25" is good 'cause they put out less air(smaller turbo)
the newer TDI's, about a 3"" since they have more room underneath and more air volume (bigger turbo).

Get it PAST THE BUMPER, that is all I have to add.

MOD. on:
B4 w/1Z,
'82 300TDT w/5cylinder

Last edited:

Corbin

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, Reflex Silver
Vinyl_Addict said:
i cannot find a place that can do mandrel bends on this stinking island.
Probably won't find one. Muffler shops are just not set up for it. Bite the bullet, and buy the expensive kind, or just go 1 size bigger at the muffler place.

freeantelope024

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 1999 Jetta TDI, 1991 Jetta
What is a mufflerectomy exactly and why do you do it? Is it to replace putting on a new muffler? Is there instructions on how to do it?

Newbie, can you tell?

Anyone else have their head hurt trying to learn about all this in one night?

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
freeantelope024 said:
What is a mufflerectomy exactly and why do you do it? Is it to replace putting on a new muffler? Is there instructions on how to do it?

Newbie, can you tell?

Anyone else have their head hurt trying to learn about all this in one night?
It is replacing the muffler with straight pipe. No, it's not loud afterward.

Keep reading, 95% of questions have been asked before and can be found by searching.