2001 TDI Golf - Need help and advice moving up in performance.

Paul Sveda

TDI
2001 VW Golf, 2006 TDI Jetta
I've had this car since new (2001). At this point it has served me well for 375,000 KM and on a recent compression test everything was in spec. Now I want to play. I'd entertained a beautifully built 16VT ABA in a MKII out of the states (went to see it in Philly PA, oh what fun!!!:D), but since the CAD dollar is so incredibly weak, I think I'll build the car I have.

I would like to achieve 200hp or greater, if that can be done relatively reliably on stock internals mind you. This is where I turn to your advise on what I will need and what my list is missing. Mostly I am hung up on the issue of the turbo and whether the seemingly more common VNT 17/22 is the route to go or if I should be looking at the a VNT 2260? Also what tune or injectors to run. Lastly, is a cam upgrade a good idea at this point.

Things on the car already
  • Hotbits suspension
  • Duraflex & R32 bushing replacements all around (including rack and sway bar)
  • H2 Sport drop spindles
  • Big ol' brake upgrade
  • 11mm Pump
  • SPEC STGII with a lightened flywheel
  • Larger injectors (honestly can't remember, it's been over 10 years)
  • Rocket Chip tune
  • Straight pipe exhaust, stock diameter
  • Racepipe

Things gathered and awaiting install
  • FMIC & piping
  • Duraflex STGII engine and transmission mounts
  • 3" exhaust (it was free) need to source a DP

Things on order
  • Larger oil cooler
  • Long probe EGT and gauge

Things I still need
  • 3 BAR sensor
  • Even bigger injectors (recommendations?)
  • A turbo to match (see above)

Thanks for reading.

P.

alphadrex

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS
Hi Paul,

I don't know if you mean crank HP or wheel HP, but I sincerely doubt you will get 200 whp on stock internals. I've basically built mine on the limit of that as I wasn't interested in getting into the motor for con-rods, porting, and all that. All the research I did prior to upgrades pointed to that conclusion. Yeah, you could probably push the boost and fuel a shade more and make 200 whp, but for how long, and how many times will you hit it? Would you be willing to risk bending a rod (or several)? After all the work you put into it? There's too much diminishing returns for my liking at that point. If I want more, I'm gonna upgrade my platform. Anyway, here are the numbers I put down at a dyno show this past weekend. See my signature for a list of my upgrades. Also remember that you have to consider drivetrain mods to get that power to the ground. For example, next on my list is pulling the tranny for an LSD install. If you were to try and launch in my car, 1st and 2nd gear are useless. Doesn't stop burning out until 3rd.

Last edited:

Paul Sveda

TDI
2001 VW Golf, 2006 TDI Jetta
Thank you alphadrex.

Fair enough, 200 was a reach and I had a feeling that might be the case when I typed that. I forgot to add the LSD to my list.

Thanks for the info and the dyno graph. I noted the "In-tank Lift Pump" upgrade. Is the stock pump known to be a limitation when you get into greater fuel demands with an upgraded turbo and tune to match?

Who would you go to for a 3" DP? Is it even available? Should I toss the 3" exhaust all together (it was free) and look to the 2.5"? Seems to be a debated topic on these forums without a clear consensus.

alphadrex

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS
I have a 10mm injection pump because my vehicle was a standard. The automatics came with an 11mm injection pump. Because I'm running the smaller pump fuel was definitely a limitation for me with the nozzles and tune I'm running.
As for DPs and exhaust, I went with 3" because I didn't want any chance of restriction (my original goal was 400 ft/lbs) and the price wasn't much different. I have the Kerma exhaust because I didn't know of any others who were making 3" at the time. Don't get me wrong, it's a great system and was super easy for install. I just wish I knew of other options at the time because exchange rate and shipping were a killer. Since you're in Canada, you may wish to check out Buzzken, he's right in Ontario. I've heard nothing but good about his exhausts.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
And I can give u a test ride in a 210whp alh. :D:D (with stock high mileage internals)

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
And I can give u a test ride in a 210whp alh. :D:D (with stock high mileage internals)
Crack pusher!:D

Actually, I think it's really a good idea for people to test drive mods before they go to do them. Setting requirements/expectations correctly up-front goes a long way to being happy with what you end up doing.

GT Beetle

TDI
Black 98 N Beetle
If you use the smaller gt1749va turbo you will keep the fast spool your used to but gain 4-5 psi

The gt1749va has a larger compressor wheel and the same exhaust wheel as the standard gt1749v. (makes 170hp)

The gt1749vb has a larger compressor and exhaust wheel this cause the boost to come on slower but stay longer into the higher rpm range. (makes 200hp)

Since your motor is long in the tooth 165 to 170 hp would be my goal , until it gets a rebuild.