www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old March 3rd, 2019, 16:48   #196
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

It's not elemental Li in the batteries. Sort of like how elemental Sodium reacts violently/explosively when exposed to water but NaCl(salt) does not.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2019, 05:05   #197
BeetleGo
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/46, usually 41

All I know is that my 2005 TDI with a psaltry 142k miles on it will last until my Tesla Model Y is made with induction charging gets off someone elseís lease (5-10 years). I can wait, but will!

I thought Volkswagen had the answer with diesels on biodiesel (which I use to this day @ 5-20 percent). But Volkswagen spoiled the diesel waters right about the time that an AMERICAN car company showed me that they were serious about changing the automotive word. Look around. They did! Tesla is the one to beat!
'05 5sp Golf GLS TDI - Rocket Chipped to 1.5, NB hoop style headrests, Mud Flaps, Euro style sideview mirrors (They're blind spotless!), and Koni FSD's (Talk about smoothing the bumps AND tightening the curves!!!)
Don't know how to use the search function? Click Here!
BeetleGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2019, 07:30   #198
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 320wh/mi; ~90mpge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetleGo View Post
my Tesla Model Y is made with induction charging
For charging while driving on a the road or charging at home? Home inductive charging is actually available now but there's a ~10% efficiency hit. IMO saving a few seconds plugging in isn't worth the additional energy... but it would be nice to not worry about forgetting. Though after awhile plugging in when you get home becomes a reflex.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2019, 05:08   #199
BeetleGo
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
For charging while driving on a the road or charging at home? Home inductive charging is actually available now but there's a ~10% efficiency hit. IMO saving a few seconds plugging in isn't worth the additional energy... but it would be nice to not worry about forgetting. Though after awhile plugging in when you get home becomes a reflex.
Clearly you don’t park in the street in the city! They’ll have it figured out by the time I sign the papers! Again, I’m willing and ABLE to wait. 10% NOW. Things will improve.
'05 5sp Golf GLS TDI - Rocket Chipped to 1.5, NB hoop style headrests, Mud Flaps, Euro style sideview mirrors (They're blind spotless!), and Koni FSD's (Talk about smoothing the bumps AND tightening the curves!!!)
Old March 7th, 2019, 07:05   #200
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 320wh/mi; ~90mpge

Quote:
Clearly you don’t park in the street in the city!
Hmmm... that's true. I don't expect the inductive efficiency to improve a whole lot. Steam plants were ~30% efficient 50 years ago... today they're ~33threeee % efficient? So a ~10% improvement? Only so much you can do with the laws of physics. ~90% efficient is probably pretty close to what's physically possibly unless we discover a room temperature super conductor.

I agree that for public and street side charging the 10% hit is probably worth it. Embed the inductive plate in the street and it's safe from vandals and you don't have to worry about the connector being sideswiped.

Last edited by nwdiver; March 7th, 2019 at 07:07.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 04:22   #201
BeetleGo
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Well, you aren’t the first to go TDI to Tesla! It’s the logical next step! Charging times are going down, and more chargers are on the way, so I won’t necessarily wait for cordless for every charge, but it’s convenient and the future. Ask Mercedes. Optional on their electric S.

https://www.slashgear.com/mercedes-w...2018-19492021/

Oh, and BMW too...
https://www.greencarreports.com/news...rids-next-year
Old March 11th, 2019, 07:41   #202
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

So I read this story; Japan, China researchers develop plasma-assisted MnO2 filter that produces zero-NO2, -SO2 diesel exhaust . Couple this with the gains made by Bosch engine controls supposedly able to beat Euro VI limits.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 10:41   #203
tadawson
Veteran Member

The question then becomes one of cost, practicality, and longevity . .
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2019, 04:45   #204
BeetleGo
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

And arenít we excited to have all of those early adopters? I see myself going electric in 5-7 years.
Old March 14th, 2019, 15:22   #205
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
And arenít we excited to have all of those early adopters? I see myself going electric in 5-7 years.
I am probably with you there. There is nothing to get excited about yet. The cars are hugely expensive for what they are and current battery technology just isn't there yet, by a long shot. Infrastructure still needs to be built out as well. I am glad for the early adopters as they are willing to throw large amounts of money at the issue with little regard to anything other than bragging rights really. My current 2015 Beetle tdi stop sale car should last me until the warranty runs out in another 10 years or so. Then I will check on what is available at that time.
Old March 14th, 2019, 15:40   #206
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
I am glad for the early adopters as they are willing to throw large amounts of money at the issue with little regard to anything other than bragging rights really.

I'm glad for their contribution too. There's no doubt that bragging rights and the cool factor play a role in many EV purchase decisions, but I think the overwhelming majority of early adopters are motivated primarily by a concern for the environment.
Old March 14th, 2019, 17:33   #207
Tin Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/40/30 TDI PD, 42/37/32 535d, 52/46/42 XE 2.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
I'm glad for their contribution too. There's no doubt that bragging rights and the cool factor play a role in many EV purchase decisions, but I think the overwhelming majority of early adopters are motivated primarily by a concern for the environment.
While much electricity is produced by burning fossil fuel, I'm not impressed.

My 535d is rated among the best conveyances for CO2 emission environmental impact, and the X5 diesel "passed" the WVa NOx study.

We will see how the premium brands respond with decent driver-centered interior designs and better EV dynamics. It will happen as long as battery tech, IT, and charging infrastructure can keep their promises.

TM
Tin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2019, 17:52   #208
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
My 535d is rated among the best conveyances for CO2 emission environmental impact, and the X5 diesel "passed" the WVa NOx study.
I can think of many dozens of vehicles that get better fuel mileage than your 535d. A gasser that gets the same mileage per gallon is emitting less CO2 per mile. I'm sure it's a great car, but it's far from the most efficient.
Old March 14th, 2019, 18:06   #209
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
While much electricity is produced by burning fossil fuel, I'm not impressed.
(snip)
TM
Maybe you'll be impressed knowing that your area's electricity is produced
mainly by burning natural gas - vastly cleaner than diesel internal combustion.
Though not my favorite, nuclear reactors rank second producing 26% in your area.
Old March 14th, 2019, 18:16   #210
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee View Post
Maybe you'll be impressed knowing that your area's electricity is produced
mainly by burning natural gas - vastly cleaner than diesel internal combustion.
Though not my favorite, nuclear reactors rank second producing 26% in your area.
cleaner, yes
more efficient? no
fuel to wheels is still more efficient than fuel to electric to battery to wheels
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote