www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old March 13th, 2019, 07:50   #1
BeetlePD

TDI(s): Beetle 2005
Default No cetane boost WILL it damage the engine?

I recently ran out of Amsoil Cetane Boost and it’s expensive to buy more. Will I damage the engine if I stop using it? Thanks :-). 2005 TDI

The EPA did a study showing boosting to cetane 50 will improve MPG but also emit more NOx so they vetoed changing the minimum standard from 40. Maybe they should reconsider now that DEF can neutralize NOx to zero

Last edited by BeetlePD; March 15th, 2019 at 08:31.
BeetlePD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2019, 10:13   #2
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member

I wouldn't think so.
Old March 13th, 2019, 16:05   #3
phaser
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG B-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetlePD View Post
Will I damage the engine if I stop using it?

Absolutely not.

Air Filter - EaA208
/ Transmission Oil - VW G50

Last edited by phaser; March 13th, 2019 at 16:08.
phaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2019, 17:52   #4
BeetlePD

So when I bought my TDI why did people insist I need Cetane boost?
Old March 14th, 2019, 18:47   #5
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good

Quote:
So when I bought my TDI why did people insist I need Cetane boost?
Because at that time there were people like Bob Fout who could not resist the idea of not pouring something into the fuel. He has long since evaporated and no longer drives a TDI. Many other members at the time felt that things like cetane boost made their cars run better. I for one tried all the additives that are and were generally listed on this forum. Nothing made the car start quicker or run faster smoother or gain fuel economy. Anything gained was placebo. The only add I use and not very regularly is PS white bottle for it's antigel and water removing properties. Nothing about increasing the longevity of my car. My take on additives. Buy your diesel fuel at high turnover stations and forget about it except when it is extremely cold and even then you will probably be just fine. Drive more and worry less about stuff like cetane additive probably it just drained your wallet and helped to make Amsoil richer.

Last edited by MichaelB; March 14th, 2019 at 19:15.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2019, 19:07   #6
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Because at that time there were people like Bob Fout who could not resist the idea of not pouring something into the oil or engine. Many of those members at the time felt that things like cetane boost made their cars run better. I for one tried all the additives that are and were generally listed on this forum. Nothing made the car run faster smoother or gain fuel economy. The only add I use and not very regularly is PS white bottle for it's antigel and water removing properties. Nothing about increasing the longevity of my car. My take on additives. Buy your diesel fuel at high turnover stations and forget about it except when it is extremely cold and even then you will probably be just fine. Drive more and worry less about stuff like cetane additive probably just drained your wallet and helped to make Amsoil richer.
A man after my own heart! My feelings exactly. I don't understand why so many people feel he need to dump stuff in their oil and fuel. Cold weather operations is the only exception I make as well, other than bio already in the fuel (B5). Fortunately I live in Texas so even that isn't needed much if at all. I also tried most of the additives discussed at one time with no noticeable improvements at all. Just fuel from a good station and that is it. Car runs fine.
Old March 14th, 2019, 21:01   #7
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Just an afterthought about my previous post. Many many lurkers here read the stuff posted by members and never question what they read they just believe it because someone or ones here on this forum posted it. That is how misinformation is spread. To any newbie.......do not believe what many members here have posted. Just use this forum as a starting point for your own research.
Old March 15th, 2019, 08:27   #8
BeetlePD

I’m surprised no Pro-additive people replied. I thought I’d see at least one say “low quality US diesel will damage the pistons” or something.

The EPA did a study showing boosting to cetane 50 will improve MPG but also emit more NOx so they vetoed changing the minimum standard from 40.
Old March 15th, 2019, 09:45   #9
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
... To any newbie.......do not believe what many members here have posted...
Yeah, but which do you disregard? Who gets 'blessed' and who gets condemned?
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2019, 09:46   #10
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

I add PS silver, in Mexico the Diesel is still LSD as well it is only 45 cetane.
I force regeneration cycles as well I hope the slight increase in cetane will help overcome the negatives of LSD vs ULSD here.

Just for BeetlePD's information, originally the Diesel engine was designed to run on peanut oil.
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2019, 09:48   #11
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member

I use PowerService myself every tank - white bottle in winter, silver in summer.

Main reason is for lubricity it adds, secondary is extra anti-gel insurance in winter (even though NJ is in a relatively moderate climate zone).

Never expected to get MPG benefits, aside from maybe slowing degradation by the cleaning agents helping to slow deposit buildup in the injectors.
Old March 15th, 2019, 09:53   #12
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Hound View Post
Yeah, but which do you disregard? Who gets 'blessed' and who gets condemned?
"Just use this forum as a starting point for your own research."
Old March 15th, 2019, 09:58   #13
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Quote:
The EPA did a study showing boosting to cetane 50 will improve MPG but also emit more NOx so they vetoed changing the minimum standard from 40.
At least post the url. You could be manufacturing this 'study'.

There are several concepts here that bear scrutiny.

1) When discussing the cetane level of the fuel, how is it changed? For a study, do they use additives to manipulate the fuel, or do they generate actual cetane from refined diesel only? The question here is, when cetane levels are changed after the fuel is purchased, then it is nearly always entirely by adding a nitrated compound. Will that additized fuel behave differently, and have different effects on the engine when compared to unadditized diesel?

2) Are there other reasons for additizing diesel? Personally, I am interested in lubricity improvements, and additize for that. And no, I don't use the widely-acclaimed-without-proof Power Service. Finding it everywhere demonstrates profit making ability, not proof of claims.

3) Why is US diesel always referred to as 'poor quality'? Has anyone ever produced any objective, independently verified measurements to back such statements up? If you really feel that everything US is bad, then STFU and please leave! I'm sure you'll find there's some collectivist haven where you can complain to your heart's content, and leave the rest of us alone.

Cheers,

PH
Old March 15th, 2019, 10:08   #14
MAXRPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 mpg driving like a granny on HWY-5 from LA to SF

From LSD to ULSD now in the US fuel is dry so pumps will not last what they are supposed to, I add diesel Kleen and 2 stroke oil ashless, improvements in mpgs I do not know, but I've had my pumps in all my ALHs for over 10 years running and i haven't had any issues, my golf which is bumped up got a 12mm pump and i know if i did not use the additive after racing or driving her hard, pump would've taken a dive, so to say additives do not do anything I would say it depends how you lay it out, real test is to have the pumps withoout additives and issueless for so many years and miles in the car.
Old March 15th, 2019, 10:10   #15
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Back to the original question: without additives, it is highly unlikely that you could pin any cause of failure on the fuel. The most you'd be able to do is have a possible jelling episode in really cold weather if you happened to get inadequately winterized diesel. After that, you might experience greater wear levels in the injection pump (for those of us still using the venerable ALH and earlier models) and injectors, but it will take a very long time for it to show up, and be very difficult if not impossible to prove. Hence, nobody says much of anything along those lines.

Cheers,

PH