97 Passat TDI w/blown timing belt, Austin tx.

97passat

TDI
97 Passat 266K (RIP little go-cart), 2013 Jetta Sportwagen 48K as of mid 2023
Well, it's been a great daily driver for the last 7 years. Currently has 266,000miles I had the timing belt done around 230,000 (in 2012) and I'm super pissed that I didn't get at least another 80,000 miles out it.

What's the value of a 97 Passat TDI in Austin, Tx? I don't expect much but I can't see spending what it would take to repair it.

Comments, Condolences, and questions are welcome.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Sucks to hear. You didn’t exceed the mileage, but did exceed the age interval. I think it’s 5 years or 60k. I was at 6 years with 30k and was getting nervous... I eventually swapped it.

I’d be tempted to toss a used head on it, and call it good. Maybe a day’s work, if everything comes off easily.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Ditto, the year range should not be ignored, it's just as important as miles.

I can't start the engine in my Mk3 until I've done the belt change, it's pretty close to being due mile wise and definitely from the year standpoint. As easy as these are it's just not worth risking the outcome of a broken belt.

I would do what Todd suggests and get a used cylinder head for it and install that. I would however have a shop service the used head, it would be worth it to have the exhaust valve guides checked and replaced if necessary as well as a valve job.

Given the probable body condition from a Texas car it would be worth it I think, at least from the perspective of someone who lives in the rust belt.

Steve

97passat

TDI
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the input. I'll have to do some looking around. Any advice on where to find a used unserviced head or buy one that's been serviced already?

97passat

TDI
Yea, I feel like a shmuck for not watching the years.. I just knew I was nowhere near the mile tolerances. Damn.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
There are 2 sides to a TB failure
A: worst case
cam, lifters, pistons, wrist pins and much more damage. (TOTAL ANNIHILATION)

B: best case
Bent valves

Its worth pulling the head and checking piston height, and a few things

for $30 bucks for a dial indicator, you can tell if the block and all her guts are probably fine and worth rebuilding.

Pull the head, measure how high past 0 (the deck) each piston sits at at TDC for each.
if cam, lifters, and head are in good shape and no valve broke off but the valves are slightly bent, you could replace the valves, check for side play, Lap the valves, new head gasket, and some hardware and be back on the road.
Its worth a peak inside, who knows.
And if you don't want to do the work or put that $ into it, and find out that its just some bent rods, i would probably go down and buy that car from you for what you would get in scrap!

97passat

TDI
I'm working on getting a day to day car in the short term, and will update the thread when I can get the head off. I'll get pics. Thanks again to everyone for posting. It's been a rough weekend.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
most of us have been there, done that, know how it feels. Best of luck!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Are the rollers/tensioner/water pump all spinning freely? Those are responsible for most belt failures. What brand of belt was it?

97passat

TDI
I dunno, I haven't got into yet. I had to find a new car and quick.

The shop is Austin is no longer in business.... go figure. 'Underground VW'

I'll probably try and sell it on here for parts? I don't have the ability to work on it here at the house. The landlord isn't cool with me working on a car, i rent her back house.

Any ideas on the value? Two years ago all engine mounts done, shocks, struts. 266k miles. Has all the other faults.... crappy door handles and rear driver side window mechanism is shot. I'll take some pics here this weekend.

--If I had only done the timing belt I'd probably be driving it another 8 years.

Thanks again guys for all the input and support.

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Water pump has nothing to do with TB failure, on these engines.

Unless you’re able to part it out, it’s not going to be worth much, in its current condition. I’d find a way to fix it. You’ve got to know someone who can let you use their space for a weekend. This should be a quick job.

Buy a known good used head, change the valve stem seals and bolt it on. New ancillary parts, time it and run it.

-Todd

97passat

TDI
Now listed for sale here on TDIclub.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Sounds like Underground metaphysical VW repair liked to do metaphysical timing belt jobs. As in not actually doing the work at all. That's what the reviews indicate anyhow.

97passat

TDI
Yep. I've been zapped by the wizard at Metaphysical VW