www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs

Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs Discussions area for Audi Q7 and Q5 TDI (2009+ in Canada & the US) as well as others with the V6 TDI such as the A6, A7 and A8 sedans.

Old February 22nd, 2019, 12:40   #1
Huskies2710

Default '15 vs '16 Audi TDI Differences

Not sure if I will get a response on this but I do appreciate the honesty of this forum so here goes. Any opinion from A6 to Q3, Q5, Q7 owners works as there are similiarities. You car guys get it, so I think you can help.

Just got news today we are expecting our first new addition to the family in 9 months. Very excited!

I've already saved up for a '16 A6 TDI Prestige to purchase just after the winter ends. Aka, proper down payment to put car in the monthly pay category I envisioned. I want to be responsible with this and know a german car can have more expenses tied to it at a moments notice. In no way though do I want financials to be a burden just because I spent an extra $7k on the 2016 vs a 2015. They say you should have $10k to $12k saved for a newborns first year to not have it affect regular bills. I think I'd be doing right by the family just dropping down a year. My wife and I have very stable jobs, this would just be keeping extra padding in case something were to arise.......so

Will I regret purchasing a 2015 A6 Prestige vs 2016 A6 Prestige? How much am I giving up...
-Upgraded MMI system 3g vs 4g, this is same in A6 and the Q's
----really intrigued by the incorporation of google maps and traffic in the car
-Exhaust system styling is upgraded
-Slight styling changes to body work
also - I really wanted the Malone Tune and RS6 grill upgrade

Thanks for help!
Huskies2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2019, 13:19   #2
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Congrats on your new addition!

If I could afford the 16 I’d be sorely tempted due to the advanced technology. Driving with the older MMI is not a huge deal, however. Is it worth several grand? Only you can say.

2015 Q5 TDI w/ Chipwerke tuner, 36K Miles. Post fix MPG: 33.9
2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2019, 13:37   #3
Huskies2710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythdoc View Post
Congrats on your new addition!

If I could afford the 16 I’d be sorely tempted due to the advanced technology. Driving with the older MMI is not a huge deal, however. Is it worth several grand? Only you can say.
Thank you! Yep, its such a fine line, the little things do matter. I can't say for myself yet lol, thus me looking to all the wise souls of TDIClub.
Old February 24th, 2019, 13:25   #4
mech644
Veteran Member

How long are you planning on owning the car?
Longer means more time that you’ll have to appreciate/benefit from the tech enhancements.
What is the mileage difference between the 15 and 16?
Paying more for a lower mileage car that is a year newer may have some value, or it may not.

How are both cars priced relative to book value and what others are selling for?
If the 16 has brand new tires and the 15 only has 10-15k left, well depending on how one buys their tires that could be 1k all by itself.
Maintenance history and cleaning car fax, how do the cars compare? Carfax isn’t the be all and end all but it is a tool to use.
2015 GHB SEL 1.8 tsi
2014 Touareg
mech644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2019, 08:57   #5
Huskies2710

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech644 View Post
How long are you planning on owning the car?
Longer means more time that you’ll have to appreciate/benefit from the tech enhancements.
What is the mileage difference between the 15 and 16?
Paying more for a lower mileage car that is a year newer may have some value, or it may not.

How are both cars priced relative to book value and what others are selling for?
If the 16 has brand new tires and the 15 only has 10-15k left, well depending on how one buys their tires that could be 1k all by itself.
Maintenance history and cleaning car fax, how do the cars compare? Carfax isn’t the be all and end all but it is a tool to use.
Yep definitely need to look at the tires closely. Was not thinking about that. Granted I have access to cheap maintenance and tire purchases.

It's really coming down to the MMI system as the only real difference. As long as Bluetooth connects my music will play and I'll be happy. Mileage is unimportant as were finding them low to high on both years. I say that meaning clean Carfax and Maintenance history are most important. Buying a higher mileage diesel with proper service record and one or two owners won't scare me away if the price is right.

We're finding far more options of the '15 in Daytona Grey Metallic also making it easier to drop down a year. In 3 months we've only been able to find one '16 in that color and it was being shopped brand new, with 253 miles on it. If I stayed in a '16 I'd probably have to get Black.

More digging to be done.....
Old March 11th, 2019, 15:08   #6
Huskies2710

Update:

Got a little lucky today, my buddy with the dealership saw a '16 A6 Prestige in Silver up for online auction from VW. Just the one I dreamed of and we were able to get it under budget. 1 owner, all audi service records, only 34k in miles, and audi just replaced all the brakes. Got my cake and gonna eat it too!

Onto the real dilemma to delete or not delete I still can't decide?
Old March 11th, 2019, 16:04   #7
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Congrats!

Old March 11th, 2019, 16:52   #8
KevinGary

TDI(s): 2015 A6 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskies2710 View Post
Update:

Got a little lucky today, my buddy with the dealership saw a '16 A6 Prestige in Silver up for online auction from VW. Just the one I dreamed of and we were able to get it under budget. 1 owner, all audi service records, only 34k in miles, and audi just replaced all the brakes. Got my cake and gonna eat it too!

Onto the real dilemma to delete or not delete I still can't decide?
Nice job.
KevinGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2019, 06:53   #9
Radman
Veteran Member

Congrats!
I would hold off on Deleting anything while it is still under warranty or until you have issues.
Get a tune (Unitronic, Malone, Kerma) if you want more power and upgrade to delete further down the road.

Last edited by Radman; March 12th, 2019 at 07:42.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2019, 06:33   #10
Huskies2710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman View Post
Congrats!
I would hold off on Deleting anything while it is still under warranty or until you have issues.
Get a tune (Unitronic, Malone, Kerma) if you want more power and upgrade to delete further down the road.
Exactly what I'm going to do. I don't think a delete is warranted until those components become an issue.

I have a Malone shop right in town? Would there be any reason to look into Kerma/Unitronic I think APR? And Chipwerk are other options. But I always see high regards to Malone.
Old March 14th, 2019, 15:53   #11
Huskies2710

Quote:
Exactly what I'm going to do. I don't think a delete is warranted until those components become an issue.
I have a Malone shop right in town? Would there be any reason to look into Kerma/Unitronic I think APR? And Chipwerk are other options. But I always see high regards to Malone.
The transmission in the A6 TDI is an 8 speed, which is not the same as a DSG transmission if I'm reading correctly.

Does a Malone/Unitronic/Apr tune do anything to ensure the transmission is handling everything correctly since you won't be pairing it with a DSG tune?

Haven't heard back from Malone on this question yet.
Old March 14th, 2019, 16:00   #12
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

I am not aware of a TCU retune to factory settings for the ZF 8 speed post fix, but I am aware that vendors are working on it.

Old March 14th, 2019, 16:16   #13
Huskies2710

Quote:
I am not aware of a TCU retune to factory settings for the ZF 8 speed post fix, but I am aware that vendors are working on it.
How has your '15 Q5 with the Chipwerke tune been? No transmission issues.

Thinking its all good and I'm just trying to find an issue in something that isn't there.
Old March 17th, 2019, 13:43   #14
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
How has your '15 Q5 with the Chipwerke tune been? No transmission issues.

Thinking its all good and I'm just trying to find an issue in something that isn't there.

I love the Chipwerke. I get a modest efficiency improvement and a definite butt dyno improvement as well. Just unhook it and you’re dealer ready. Hook it back and you’re in business again. It can’t be compared to a tune, obviously.

Old March 17th, 2019, 14:20   #15
Huskies2710

Quote:
I love the Chipwerke. I get a modest efficiency improvement and a definite butt dyno improvement as well. Just unhook it and you’re dealer ready. Hook it back and you’re in business again. It can’t be compared to a tune, obviously.
Now I need to do more research..... you're telling me Chipwerke is as simple as plug it in for the tune, unplug for no tune? No need to get into a shop.

I've debated to get a Flashzilla which would technically work in the same manner.