manifold clogging?

kyote321

Veteran Member
TDI
golf td1, 2002, black
the dealer said that an intake tube (he wasn't really clear on what exactly) can get clogged by carbon from diesel if the tdi is driven mostly around town. i have looked into the FAQ for this, but haven't found anything. he said they regularly fix them for $90, which means most people could probably do it in 15 minutes. anyone know what he is talking about?

i use a diesel additve for truckers, should this help? anybody find a clever way to carry an additive with you without making the cabin toxic? i have mine in the box on the roof right now, but i don't always like to carry it around.

thanx

kyote321

Veteran Member
TDI
golf td1, 2002, black
ok so, duh, i did find this covered int he FAQ. is the vag-com adjustment something that one would trust the dealer to do? or a mechanic? i'm not going to buy one, so i need to find someone to do it.

I would be interested if anyone has found any additives that can help this, and a good way to store them in the car.

zinkengruven

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL 2003 Indigo Blue
Hey kyote,
Nah, no need to visit the dealership for this, (or much anything else IMO) /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Post your location & see if someone in your area with a VAG COM can show you how it's done.

sanjaun2

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI 2012 Passat TDI
If you have a stock tdi with over 40k miles you are very clogged, I drive almost all hwy and mine was 80% clogged at 45k miles

kyote321

Veteran Member
TDI
golf td1, 2002, black
mine is stock. does chipping help? is was going to hold off on it cuz of the warranty, but my dealer is so useless even on simple warranty stuff! does redoing the MAF like the FAQ says really help?

thanks

LWB053

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jetta, Dk Green
OK, a couple of things here...

The clogging of the intake tract is a function of a couple of things...the crankcase ventilation system, or CCV, which basically vents the engine internals (and, as a side effect, oil) into the intake tract...and the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system, which is (as I understand it) mandated by North American EPA regulations. The EGR system basically pipes some of the heated, burnt exhaust back into the intake tract as well, to raise temperature and reduce oxygen in the combustion chamber under certain circumstances, in an attempt to reduce exhaust emmissions. The result is, the oily stuff gets sooted up and cooked onto the intake tract. That's what you'll be wanting to clean. If you are mechanically inclined and can get the tools, it's not a difficult job.

You can use the VAG to reduce the likelyhood that your EGR system will open (basically, you trick the engine control unit, ECU, into thinking those certain circumstances referred to above are never reached....), which reduces the baking effect and soot...Some have gone so far as to remove the EGR system entirely (there are posts on this as well). Be forewarned that you are tampering with an EPA mandated system, and use your own judgement as to what you feel is right...(and VW will probably look at you like a deer caught in a set of headlights if you ask them to do this.)

Some have also modified the CCV system in various ways, from complete removal, to some pretty exotic and/or highly modified custom jobs. Again, lots of posts here about that.

As for additives, or chipping, I'm not too sure either would have a large impact, as long as the EGR and CCV systems remain in their stock configuration.

Keith

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo
[ QUOTE ]
the dealer said that an intake tube (he wasn't really clear on what exactly) can get clogged by carbon from diesel if the tdi is driven mostly around town.
i use a diesel additve for truckers, should this help?

thanx

[/ QUOTE ]
Intake manifold reportedly suffers from clogging due to carbon and oil residues forming a sludge in there.
Use a good synthetic lube oil in the engine to reduce the oily vapours.
Use a fuel additive to increase the cetane in the fuel to promote a cleaner burn.
Put a filter in the tube that runs from the ccv, or use an "elephant hose"
Use a Vagcom to turn down the EGR

I use the fuel additive, and Duron lube oil, and the intake is still clear at 40,000 miles.
hth.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the dealer said that an intake tube (he wasn't really clear on what exactly) can get clogged by carbon from diesel if the tdi is driven mostly around town.
i use a diesel additve for truckers, should this help?

thanx

[/ QUOTE ]
Intake manifold reportedly suffers from clogging due to carbon and oil residues forming a sludge in there.
Use a good synthetic lube oil in the engine to reduce the oily vapours.
Use a fuel additive to increase the cetane in the fuel to promote a cleaner burn.
Put a filter in the tube that runs from the ccv, or use an "elephant hose"
Use a Vagcom to turn down the EGR

I use the fuel additive, and Duron lube oil, and the intake is still clear at 40,000 miles.
hth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also drive it like you stole it instead of babying it. You need to seriously drive it like you stole it and regularly "get on it" and get the RPMS up to help keep the intake path cleaned out. Long uphill highway on-ramps are best to get on it and wind the RPMs up to around 4000 RPM before each shift. Have fun, but try not to get any speeding tickets. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The TDI engine needs to breathe and thrives on being driven hard, so don't be afraid to get on it and drive it like you stole it. You're actually more likely to have intake clogging and turbo problems later on if you constantly baby it and never get on the power.

Use the entire 1900-3750RPM (TQ peak to HP peak) "power band" that the engine has and do spirited driving on a regular basis. There have been many posts about this in the past. Fellow TDIclub members are serious when they say "Drive it like you stole it". Get out there and drive it like it's the Autobahn burner that it is.

~ n1das

Black 2002 Golf TDI 5-speed, 84k miles and climbing

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
This a a relative cheap, nice looking filter that is currently being sold in the Group Buy section of forum. The basic design was my idea and the improved on by fellow forum members acting as testers with their idea's. CCV Filter

For more photo's and pricing go to link above.

LuvaDub

Veteran Member
TDI
2K TDI NB
Very nice! I just had to buy a new one... shoulda spent 60 more bucks and gotten a non-plastic one (mine was cracked)!

kyote321

Veteran Member
TDI
golf td1, 2002, black
thanks for all the input folks. don't know if i'm ready to drop 90 on a filter that vw should have thought of in the first place. i'll keep all this in mind though and keep adding stuff and driving like i'm on 'grand theft auto' /images/graemlins/grin.gif

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D
[ QUOTE ]
What does the stock thing do?

[/ QUOTE ]
The 'stock' CCV allows too much oil mist into your intake manifold. Mix this oil with the soot from the EGR and you'll eventually have a clogged intake manifold. Best to keep oil in your crankcase where it belongs. Old Navy's mod is one I NEED to do!